Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    It is where I live and it has been since my parents were young according to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I did learn to cook at school! And clean too.

Going to a montessori school for 12 years was quite an experience
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_education
    Plenty of montessori primary schools in the US, they rapidly fizzle out and vanish as you move towards middle school and high school though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Balancing a checkbook is out dated with modern banking procedures, but the rest of those yes probably cus mist parents don't teach that stuff.
    Not really, sure you don't need to mess with some carbon paper and the old sheets in your check book. You still should understand how money enters and exits your bank accounts. That is the same as it was 40 years ago and will continue to be. If nothing else anybody that is dumb enough to not look over banking records now is a fool with the many ways errors or identity theft occurs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    My school had it. The girls cooked and the boys did the dishes. The girls were encouraged to cook and the boys were told they weren't allowed to cook because men can't cook.
    Nothing like some outdated moronic stereo types to set people up for failure.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    balance a checkbook,
    Again with this lol. Balancing a check book is no longer relevant with how banks work now.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Yes. social skills in general are lacking in school curriculum.

- how to manage money. pay rent, electric bill etc. and use money wisely
    - cooking, cleaning, washing clothes etc.
    - how to transfer school subjects to the real word. math,
    - preparing for life after school

Some teenagers nowadays absolutely know nothing. It's scary how lost they are.

(obviously not everyone needs this. some people have a great stay at home mum that teaches you everything, but not everyone does)

At my school "Food Technology" was compulsory from the ages of 11-15.

We started out simple with fruit salad but eventually learnt things like pastries, bread-making, pizza and so on. As a final 'test' we were allowed to pick our own recipe to bring in and try to replicate. Food tech also involved learning about the different bacteria from food and how to avoid it. Also lessons on various other aspects such as how you should correctly store food items in a fridge.

I remember that if you misbehaved in class you would have to stay behind to do the dishes, which was all the more terrible when half the class burnt stuff.

I do think there should be some kind of life experience\Home ec\Cooking and keeping the books kind of class in Highschool, but honestly the school I went to couldn't afford to pay a teacher to teach it.

Personal case here but when I started my junior year in high school many years ago there was a home ec class. 1/2 the semester was cooking\housework and repairs\practical living. The other half was personal accounting with topics like how to do your taxes, how to balance a checkbook, how to figure out loan payments, opening accounts for home gas\electric\water. Anyway we got halfway through the year and started the portion on how to do taxes. We started on a thursday, continued on Friday, and were suppose to finish everything up that following Monday. We never got to finish that up because over that weekend the teacher was let go for embezzling school funds. They couldn't find another teacher to take over, or couldn't raise the amount to pay anyone else to take it over. Everyone in that class that semester actually got A's because they couldn't find a teacher to actually replace the one that was fired and they never moved us to any other class. I guess I did learn something though. If you're going to embezzle, at least do it at a college level.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

Deleted
    I think there are more importent topics you should learn about in school. Cooking is something your mother should teach you.

And I mean let's be real, putting deep frozen stuff in an oven qualifies and a 5 year old can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Tell me how to make mayonnaise from scratch at home. No googling.

(Teaching food knowledge. Can't cook it if you don't know it exists).
    I know this! Oil into eggs starting with one drop at a time whisking swiftly.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2016-08-19 at 05:12 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post

Nothing like some outdated moronic stereo types to set people up for failure.
    To be fair it was 10 years ago.

"Do you think schools should teach people cooking?"

Cooking is already taught at many schools.

I remember my cooking class in high school. It was called Food Science, but it was a cooking class.

I really liked that class. My teacher was a good teacher. But my class was bad. Of course, you have some students that want to just fool around, goof off. And not really learn how to cook.

And you have the students (like me!) that really WANT TO LEARN HOW TO COOK.

I remember when my teacher said that we were going to LEARN HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM. I was so excited.

But sadly, I decided that I wanted to take a sick day from school, on the very day that my class was going to learn how to make ice cream, ON ICE CREAM DAY!!!1

I will forever regret that, lol. I was so mad at myself for forgetting that it was ICE CREAM DAY, the day our teacher was going to teach us HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM.

So, as of today, I still have no idea how to make ice cream.

/double sadface.

- - - Updated - - -

And to answer the question: Yes I do think schools should teach cooking. It is a very valuable life skill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    I took home ec back in middle school, we made pies, brownies, cupcakes, cakes, little snacks, and basic meals. Learning the basics of knife skills, measurements and stuff like that.

We learned to sew as well.. learning to repair clothing, make pillow cases, and how to do basic needlework.

When I got into highschool, they offered a basic culinary class, which was pretty cool. I did not take it, but I remember kids going there.

I think teaching cooking in school and basic life skills would be pretty cool, but I don't think they would allow knives in schools anymore cause people are wimps
    I took shop class (industrial arts) in middle school.

And I took cooking class (food science) in high school.

Deleted
    It already is taught

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It already is taught
    I mentioned before, it is taught in a half-assed way here. It's only two months in 7th grade, and the kids aren't allowed to use anything sharp. And that's only one of eight class periods in a day.

@chaarrllee3000 , I'm assuming you were taking charge of your cooking group in school? I know I was.

And I was thinking... What do we mean by teaching cooking? I thought of three general levels, going in increasing difficulty:
    1. Learned how to make a few things
    2. Can plan a menu for the week and make a shopping list
    3. Can walk into a kitchen without a plan and make something good

Where are we at?
    Last edited by belfpala; 2016-08-20 at 06:27 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    You dont learn that in the US?

Holy moly, no surprise your people have an unhealthy relationship to food and no knowledge of nutrion