View Poll Results: Would you prefer less portal usage?

Voters
401. This poll is closed
  • Yes

102 25.44%
  • No

225 56.11%
  • I don't care, but I see the point.

74 18.45%
Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Blizzard's excessive use of Portals

A trend I've been noticing increasingly over the expansions is that blizzard tends to use portals a lot more. Now call me crazy but I find that incredibly uncreative and lazy.

Let's not forget that wow is an mmo-rpg, and while fast travel might be available in most rpgs, atleast it requires you to go discover the location first.

In the Legion-prepatch quest where we go to Dalaran (Over Deadwind Pass) and witness Jaina's desertation of the Kirin Tor, we talk to Brann Bronzebeard, who has some urgent business in Ulduar. Instead of telling us (The player) to meet with him in Ulduar, he just happens to conveniently have a spare teleporter to the place.

Now I know that a lot of you have been to Northrend and Ulduar countless times in the past, you've probably seen every nook and cranny and you'd much rather have a teleport, but look at this from a new player's perspective. Chances are he's leveled up with a friend through dungeon spam, he probably hasn't even seen half, if even a third of the world Azeroth has to offer. For him or her, going on a journey to Ulduar could offer scenery they've never seen before, which adds to the rpg feeling of the game. With a teleporter they just go and do their business, then hearthstone back to Stormwind to afk. It's so unimaginative!
    Last edited by Jakisuaki; 2016-08-17 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Edited spoiler tag, people were bitching about it and derailing the topic.

Azeroth is currently being invaded by the Burning Legion. The invasion is mounting up at a rapid pace and the world as a whole faces the very real possibility of being overrun by the forces of Sargeras. While yes we could take the time to fly back and forth or take boats that doesn't really make sense given the sense of impending doom.

Portals on the other hand... make perfect sense and help keep the pace of "This needs to happen fast, because we are being overrun"

Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    Azeroth is currently being invaded by the Burning Legion. The invasion is mounting up at a rapid pace and the world as a whole faces the very real possibility of being overrun by the forces of Sargeras. While yes we could take the time to fly back and forth or take boats that doesn't really make sense given the sense of impending doom.

Portals on the other hand... make perfect sense and help keep the pace of "This needs to happen fast, because we are being overrun"
    When the scourge was invading Azeroth back in Wrath, we still had to take the boat to Northrend. It makes sense to make things hasty, obviously, but that could be done in a much more creative way. I'm not telling blizzard to go into incredible detail for a pre-patch quest, all I ask is that they have some imagination.

What does "portal" or "no portal" have to do with "RPG"?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    When the scourge was invading Azeroth back in Wrath, we still had to take the boat to Northrend. It makes sense to make things hasty, obviously, but that could be done in a much more creative way. I'm not telling blizzard to go into incredible detail for a pre-patch quest, all I ask is that they have some imagination.
    Well considering it is only part of what happens and is a lead up to the eventual teleportation of Dalaran to the Broken Isles we will have to wait and see what comes next.. And the use of previous xpac raid instances as part of the quest chain is pretty neat..

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    What does "portal" or "no portal" have to do with "RPG"?
    Didn't you read my post?

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Well considering it is only part of what happens and is a lead up to the eventual teleportation of Dalaran to the Broken Isles we will have to wait and see what comes next.. And the use of previous xpac raid instances as part of the quest chain is pretty neat..
    I agree! I just wish it would feel a bit more like an adventure, instead of a quick erran. You know what I mean? It's a very subjective opinion, but I believe it would be better for newer players as well as returning ones that may want to experience the world again. They can go do that at any time, but having an incentive to do so always helps make the experience better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    I'm kind of surprised WoW doesn't have a worldwide teleporter network already just like other MMO's have (well GW2 and FFXIV).
    It's one of the things I really like about WoW, I'm just afraid it'll be made too convenient as time goes on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Didn't you read my post?
    Portals are part of the lore, so makes sense to have them, and with the Legion attacking us from the air a lot more than the scourge it's the only way to travel safely.
    Btw, Vanilla and Wrath are the only expansions that used other means of transport

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of surprised WoW doesn't have a worldwide teleporter network already just like other MMO's have (well GW2 and FFXIV).
    have a teleporter that just teleports you to every town, and place in WOW you will never have to walk for more than 5 seconds again.

But on-topic I agree I hate it too, I would rather they just make you travel there. It's not like it'll take that long anyway. The feel of discovery and journey is lost from WoW, just look how many fightpaths have been introduced :P

:P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    You know what else WoW is? Fantasy. With magic portals and pseudo-science portals, and portal portals. It's strange we don't have more of them around, like GW waypoint system.

10+ Year Old Account
    surely this is to allow lowbies and otehrs who cant fly to still participate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm... World of Warcraft doesn't actually use that many portals, most that has been used, is portals that are by lore, already existing.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    You know what else WoW is? Fantasy. With magic portals and pseudo-science portals, and portal portals. It's strange we don't have more of them around, like GW waypoint system.
    Strange? Fast traveling have no place in mmorpg games. For current Q yes. It is areldy too short and befor you even think about what is happening stoy line is over. All those portals everywhere kinda makes world seems very small and it destroys alredy weak imerssion.

I'm glad it doesn't, as portal hopping is tacky.

I'm guessing it's simply a matter of laziness as you say OP, because nearly every expansion story does start out with players arriving via physical methods. Legion is really the only one where we arrive to the island via portal right off the bat.

There are some other online rpgs that don't have mounts in them because you don't need mounts. You open your map, zoom out and you can instantly travel to any spot you've already been to.

And yes, I'm okay with getting a new portal stone. If the quest isn't urgent then I can find my way there - assuming I want to get the quest done.

Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    surely this is to allow lowbies and otehrs who cant fly to still participate?
    I don't think lowbies can participate. I believe it's a level 98 requirement.

Didn't you read my post?
    Yes I have, question still stands. You used "portals" and "RPG" in the same sentence, it doesn't mean there's sense to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, I've done enough slow traveling in WoW to waste real world days of my life. And you want me to waste more time just traveling from point A to point B? I would kindly ask you to take a long walk off a short pier. Thanks.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    don't use them? if u don't want lets say a Portal from Sw to hyjal just fly there..no one is forcing u to take them

When the Scourge was invading the Eastern Kingdom and Kalimdor back in Wrath, we knew where they were coming from. An expedition was sent to Northrend because no one had been there since the events of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne and no one knew what to expect. From a story standpoint teleporting to Northrend made no sense. Where would you teleport to? Based on what?

A heavier use of Portals makes much more sense for this event and the storyline that is currently available. We're traveling to the already-known.