Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

question about light soft drinks

what is better for not beeing fat? drink a coke light or a coke with suggar?
    i think the coke light is better because it has no suggar.
    but some people tell me, that light producs are bad. they make you eat more?

can someone say something sart to this?

Deleted
    There is some truth to that.From my personal experience just avoid all the diet sodas and satisfy your carbonation cravings with sparkling flavored water (like perrie lemon for example)

It has mainly to do with sugar vs. aspartame. Regularly sweetened soda use sugar which we all know about. And to be fair, pretty much every soda now is using High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is sweeter and IMO worse than normal sugar. Excessive sugar can lead to weight gain and diabetes. Aspartame is a sugar substitute that is used to artificially sweeten diet soda and no calorie soda (Coke Zero). There are some that claim aspartame is bad for you. It can lead to an increase in appetite and promote weight gain. There is also plenty of evidence showing that is has no effect on your appetite. In general though, neither regular or diet soda is really gonna help you loose weight, or even keep it offs. Your best bet is water. You can flavor water with other stuff. I personally like taking apples and cinnamon sticks and putting it in a jug of water.

Do some research about aspartame and high fructose corn syrup and sugar. It's amazing what kind of information is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by stormare View Post
    There is some truth to that.From my personal experience just avoid all the diet sodas and satisfy your carbonation cravings with sparkling flavored water (like perrie lemon for example)
    I mean this is the best advice here, JUST CUT OUT SODA. if you just absolutely NEED carbonation, drink sparkling flavored water.

I understand the want for an occasional soda, but i've cut them out completely except maybe 1 small soda a week with a lunch. if you need caffeine, drink coffee or tea. If its sugar you want, eat some fruit or drink some all natural juice. Apple Juice can be a great pick me up, as long as there is no sugar added.

Im sure someone with more knowledge can expand/correct some of what i've said.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you must drink soda, drinking low calorie sugar free is going to be better for you than the full sugar ones. So if you're proper addicted and want to take baby steps, switching to Diet soda is at least a step in the right direction.

If you truly care about your health/fitness/losing weight, you'll want to cut them out completely though, because both versions are bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by talwynn View Post
    It has mainly to do with sugar vs. aspartame. Regularly sweetened soda use sugar which we all know about. And to be fair, pretty much every soda now is using High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is sweeter and IMO worse than normal sugar. Excessive sugar can lead to weight gain and diabetes. Aspartame is a sugar substitute that is used to artificially sweeten diet soda and no calorie soda (Coke Zero). There are some that claim aspartame is bad for you. It can lead to an increase in appetite and promote weight gain. There is also plenty of evidence showing that is has no effect on your appetite. In general though, neither regular or diet soda is really gonna help you loose weight, or even keep it offs. Your best bet is water. You can flavor water with other stuff. I personally like taking apples and cinnamon sticks and putting it in a jug of water.

Do some research about aspartame and high fructose corn syrup and sugar. It's amazing what kind of information is out there.
    i've read a lot that high fructose corn syrup increases chances of prostate cancer in men

One theory is that your brain associates a certain level of sweetness with a certain level of energy content so when you eat/drink something sweet your hunger dissipates. So with this theory artificial sweeteners are basically retraining your brain to have a higher threshold which leads you to overeat.

It's just a theory though.
    Signature not found

Deleted
    my question is sugar vs aspertan.
    i only drink water...or beer

has someone any link to a source, like a study?
    i have been in a discussion. the person hast to drink coke light or normal coke... water is not an option. i need a source which prooves what is better.

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    my question is sugar vs aspertan.
    i only drink water...or beer

has someone any link to a source, like a study?
    i have been in a discussion. the person hast to drink coke light or normal coke... water is not an option. i need a source which prooves what is better.
    i am water coffee beer myself.

Diet over normal, it's "healthier" but not healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

They both make you fat in my opinion. Diet may have zero calories but it messes with your appetite and metabolism. When I want my soda fix, I just drink regular.

Deleted
    Don't drink carbonated drinks.

Carbonated drinks are useless calories, they are barely any calories, but you get literally no benefit from them.

Just drink water instead.

Deleted
    i need a source or a study about this. has someone plz some informations??

Listen here. Diet Coke is bad for you just like regular Coke is bad for you.

The best course of action is to switch from soda to something healthier, like water. It is better to drink real soda once in a while than drink diet soda all the time. If you crave the carbonation of soda, drink seltzer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Don't drink carbonated drinks.

Carbonated drinks are useless calories, they are barely any calories, but you get literally no benefit from them.

Just drink water instead.

There's nothing inherently worse about seltzer than water. The carbonation is not bad in any way.

- - - Updated - - -

i need a source or a study about this. has someone plz some informations??
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/...-regular-soda/
    Beta Club Brosquad

what is better for not beeing fat? drink a coke light or a coke with suggar?
    i think the coke light is better because it has no suggar.
    but some people tell me, that light producs are bad. they make you eat more?

can someone say something sart to this?
    Best bet is to stay away from both. Effects of sugar, which are not that good, are at least more well known then those of artificial sweeteners. Thought to be mostly harmless, there apparently is no conclusive evidence of such whatsoever. According to some studies they seem to mess up many internal functions at some level. One that I found quickly: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21505330 says for example: "Third, by interacting with novel sweet-taste receptors discovered in the gut, NNS could affect glucose absorptive capacity and glucose homeostasis. The latter mechanism that has received the most attention recently. Some animal studies, but not all, found that NNS activate gut sweet-taste pathways that control incretin release and upregulate glucose transporters. Human studies found that, at least for healthy fasted individuals, the sole interaction of NNS with sweet-taste gut receptors is insufficient to elicit incretin responses. The reasons for discrepancy between different studies are unknown but could be related to the species of mammal tested and the dose of NNS used."
    So if I understood that part right, it might be so that consuming artificial sweeteners makes your organs think that "hey that's sugar, better start storing that stuff as fat (the same that happens when you consume real sugar)." Now that sweetener itself has nothing to convert to fat, but when you eat, there will be plenty of carbohydrates for your gut to chop down and store to your waist.

TLDR: If you want to make the properly and surely healthy choice, ditch both the artificial sweeteners and excessive use of sugar. There's no shortcut.

Deleted
    deer mmo users let me explain my point.
    i am a fitness trainer and do physiotherapy. i know that bot are bad.
    my question was asked because on my work (a hospital for psycological ill children) there was a discussen.
    your patient gains fat becaus they have to take neuroleptics like quetiapine. that medicament make people eat a lot.
    so some children cant live without a drink that got some taste.

so i told them to drink cola light because its better for not beeing fat than real coke. but another worker there tells me that this is bullshit.
    the light producs will make the children more fat than the suger products.

i for myself know that both are not optimal, but we have to choose between light or suger!

i postet here because i need a source or a study... no opinions you understand.
    so if there is anyone out there who knows a study about this problem, please post it! thanks

deer mmo users let me explain my point.
    i am a fitness trainer and do physiotherapy. i know that bot are bad.
    my question was asked because on my work (a hospital for psycological ill children) there was a discussen.
    your patient gains fat becaus they have to take neuroleptics like quetiapine. that medicament make people eat a lot.
    so some children cant live without a drink that got some taste.

so i told them to drink cola light because its better for not beeing fat than real coke. but another worker there tells me that this is bullshit.
    the light producs will make the children more fat than the suger products.

i for myself know that both are not optimal, but we have to choose between light or suger!

i postet here because i need a source or a study... no opinions you understand.
    so if there is anyone out there who knows a study about this problem, please post it! thanks
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688

Reviewed by the american diabetes association. Diet sodas are related to a 67% increased chance of developing type 2 diabetes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688

Reviewed by the american diabetes association. Diet sodas are related to a 67% increased chance of developing type 2 diabetes.
    This is slighlty outdated and didn't properly show the selective bias (obese people more likely to drink diet sodas to "slim down"). As they say themselves "these observational data cannot establish causality"

This more recent study http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3576.full shows similar findings but looked more into whether the drinks were the cause

"Although artificially sweetened beverages and fruit juice also showed positive associations with incidence of type 2 diabetes, the findings were likely to involve bias."

"Our analysis indicated possible publication bias for the associations between artificially sweetened beverages and type 2 diabetes. "

Buit they all agree its not terribly healthy to drink any of them (including fruit juices)

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    This is slighlty outdated and didn't properly show the selective bias (obese people more likely to drink diet sodas to "slim down"). As they say themselves "these observational data cannot establish causality"

This more recent study http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h3576.full shows similar findings but looked more into whether the drinks were the cause

"Although artificially sweetened beverages and fruit juice also showed positive associations with incidence of type 2 diabetes, the findings were likely to involve bias."

"Our analysis indicated possible publication bias for the associations between artificially sweetened beverages and type 2 diabetes. "

Buit they all agree its not terribly healthy to drink any of them (including fruit juices)
    They actually did account for obese people.

"↵§Adjusted for the variables in model 2 above + waist circumference (centimeters).

↵‖Adjusted for the variables in model 2 above + waist circumference (centimeters) and BMI (weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters)."

Footnotes for table two. While BMI isn't that great of a measurement, they temper it by including an additional physical measurement (although it does change the increase in incidence rate, it still is a 39.2% increase).

When they're doing studies like this, they're not looking to establish causality. It would essentially be impossible to do that with a study like this. They're looking to establish correlation to identify possible areas for future study and warn about possible dangers.

The BMJ article is definitely a lot bigger study though. 6814 vs 38253. But even it isn't a causal study, because it's just not set up to test for that.

This is the type of study that's going to get you causality, but getting there assumes you think insulin spikes are what lead to type 2. It also doesn't test for insulin when ingesting just artificially sweetened drinks, but tests artificially sweetened drink with food vs water with food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I think drinking a coke light is better than coke with sugar for not being fat.