[solo] Holy vs Prot ?

I read that healers can now do decent damage in order to be able to quest/solo in heal spec if they want. So my questions are:

1. How much difference there is in Damage between Holy and Protection paladin?

2. If Holy can do decent damage, comparable with Protection, can we assume that they are better in solo difficult content, since they also have great healing?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    I read that healers can now do decent damage in order to be able to quest/solo in heal spec if they want. So my questions are:

1. How much difference there is in Damage between Holy and Protection paladin?

2. If Holy can do decent damage, comparable with Protection, can we assume that they are better in solo difficult content, since they also have great healing?
    In theory:

Ret: high damage, low survivability
    Prot: medium damage, medium survivability
    Holy: lower damage, high survivability

Note I said "lower" damage for Holy, because it still feels like powerful as hell if you choose the right talents.

This is from my very limited time playing in beta as I didn't want to spoil it for myself, and this was a few months ago so things may have changed.

I'm leveling as Holy in legion. /excited

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Frank View Post
    In theory:

Note I said "lower" damage for Holy, because it still feels like powerful as hell if you choose the right talents.

This is from my very limited time playing in beta as I didn't want to spoil it for myself, and this was a few months ago so things may have changed.

can you share the right talents Basically right now, I have to play with 1H+Shield and it does not feel strong.. maybe with the 2-Hand in Legion will be much better dps
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Does this consider how much you can AoE as Prot/ret?

I know as prot I can very easily tank 5-6 mobs and grind them down with considerable AoE. I haven't tried this on ret on the PBE, do you die? I don't doubt that Holy could live through that, but can you AoE?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitxd View Post
    Does this consider how much you can AoE as Prot/ret?

I know as prot I can very easily tank 5-6 mobs and grind them down with considerable AoE. I haven't tried this on ret on the PBE, do you die? I don't doubt that Holy could live through that, but can you AoE?
    I only have Consecration for aoe.. and if I get blinding light as a talent but this does little damage with long cd..so I dont think it would considered aoe.. I didnt think about this.. yeap aoe would be a "problem" for holy... it will be slow on this.

Prot is far and away the best leveling spec for paladins. Ret and holy are not even in the ballpark. If you have HFC gear, you literally run around killing things in one global till like 105.

Comparing holy to ret, holy probably isn't that bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Prot is far and away the best leveling spec for paladins. Ret and holy are not even in the ballpark. If you have HFC gear, you literally run around killing things in one global till like 105.

Comparing holy to ret, holy probably isn't that bad.
    This. You can run around like a complete idiot as prot. And it's fucking amazing. As nice as leveling as holy might be playing as prot is just to much fun. Not to mention they took away our interrupt as holy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Frank View Post
    In theory:

That's retarded in both theory and practice. How is a Holy Paladin even going to match the survival rate of a TANK CLASS, let alone pass it in a PvE environment?
    What talents even affect H Paladin dps outside of Crusader's Might , DP or Prism and Sanctified Wrath?
    Do you realize that outside of dungeons and raid environments your entire mastery does nothing as a healer spec?

Honestly, people who have no clue should really stop posting.
    Last edited by mmoc5ef3a4fb0f; 2016-08-20 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    That's retarded in both theory and practice. How is a Holy Paladin even going to match the survival rate of a TANK CLASS, let alone pass it in a PvE environment?
    What talents even affect H Paladin dps outside of Crusader's Might , DP or Prism and Sanctified Wrath?
    Do you realize that outside of dungeons and outdoors environments your entire mastery does nothing as a healer spec?

Kind of off topic, but are you the Aladya from Serenity?

Deleted
    Holy will be good for leveling, tried it a bit in the beta (or was it during alpha?).
    Now as holy paladin is my alt I still had time to visit tanaan and kill some hordes. I met a enhancement shaman, a frost dk, feral druide, a mm hunter and I think it was a boomkin. Killed all of them yes, second time I meet the hunter he killed me, but it was a close fight.
    Holy paladins are fine regarding damage / healing for solo content hope this helps answering your question

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    Do you realize that outside of dungeons and outdoors environments your entire mastery does nothing as a healer spec?

Honestly, you should take a chill pill. This is a forum where personal opinions will be posted. Either refute any "wrong" information or make a sticky post with all the "correct" information so as we can have a look.

Any spec is viable for questing with its pros and cons. Noone is forced to change spec for leveling if he doesn't want to. Prot may have the edge if you're doing quests like, kill 100 mobs cause you can mass pull a lot. Holy would struggle in this type of quest cause he lacks the dps skill-set. Ret would also breeze past such kind of quests even in its abysmal current iteration.
    Last edited by Nedralixx; 2016-08-20 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks a lot everyone for the info! I am gonna level as prot then I just hoped that Holy would be comparable... since I will already play warrior and DH tanks too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedralixx View Post
    Honestly, you should take a chill pill. This is a forum where personal opinions will be posted. Either refute any "wrong" information or make a sticky post with all the "correct" information so as we can have a look.

Any spec is viable for questing with its pros and cons. Noone is forced to change spec for leveling if he doesn't want to. Prot may have the edge if you're doing quests like, kill 100 mobs cause you can mass pull a lot. Holy would struggle in this type of quest cause he lacks the dps skill-set. Ret would also breeze past such kind of quests even in its abysmal current iteration.
    Yes, but I'm of the belief that if your personal opinion is that water boils at 50 degrees, someone should stop you and tell its doesn't. And that person can't sugar coat it and be like: you know what, if you get water from the magical river, then yes it can boil at 50 degrees during winter.

Now, the guy who originally posted ask the question: which is better and if there's a big difference. There is a big difference between leveling as prot/ret and leveling as holy. Its rude to lie and say otherwise.

Deleted
    It's not really about leveling. I did it as holy. Yes i was slower but it was easier to stay alive versus ret. But Suramar and world quests is where it was just painful to be holy. Sure i didn't die but stuff also took ages. When as ret spec i kill a rare 3 times as fast it's not fun. And that's it being an offspec with 2 points invested vs 2 gold traits.

Holy is really slow. You won't die, but it takes ages to kill something and you don't have the aoe capability of prot, so there's not much to gain to do large pulls. Prot is surprisingly fast as long as you can do aoe pulls, but that might be tricky at the start with many people running around. But it's definately faster than holy, and much more fun imo.

Ret is considerably faster.