Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Summary of Rogues

Hey. I've been thinking of leveling a rogue for Legion and I'd really appreciate a summary on how they're doing.

How do the specs compare to each other and to other classes?
    Do you find your chosen spec fun?
    Would you say there's a spec that's better for leveling?
    What's been the go to spec for PvP and PvE in the last couple years and has it changed with Legion?

Just wondering about these things as they help me choose a spec and familiarize myself with rogues.

Thanks.

Deleted
    Long time Rogue here, since vanilla, although, I mained a warrior through WoD.

Assasination and Sub are both very strong single target specs. Assa rotation is about keeping bleeds up and plays pretty smoothly, you can opt for small burts windows with talents. Aoe is alright i suppose, with the poison application thru Fan of knives (although Rogues will never be AOE kings, leave that to the fury wars and unholy dks for melee)

Sub is more like a melee arcane mage, you wait and pool energy then go ham in a shadowdance, plays like slow-fast-slow-fast in a constant cycle, vewry good on demand burst.

Traditionally ( talking vanilla/tbc here) combat/outlaw was our strongest PVE spec (also in raiding) however, this is not true anymore. Its the (probably) the fastest spec for questing,levelling,world stuff, etc. It is also better at aoe then the other specs due to blade flurry, killing spree, etc.

afaik assa is really strong in beta atm competing for top dps single target, as does sub. Outlaw is middle of the pack.

as for fun; this is completely subjective, while i still like playing my rogue alot (so mobile, stealthy, pvp is very nice on a rogue) im a bit bored with the combo points system and pve on a rogue.

Sub is now super boring.
    Assassination is fine
    Outlaw is meh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Sub is now super boring.
    Assassination is fine
    Outlaw is meh
    Wothless answer with no other than your 2 sec of personal impression. Nothing covering why and how.

Tbh, just read thru your post history and tbh you seem like a bored and sad player. In 1 page you used the word boring in half of the posts. We need to find you a new hobby.

Infracted.

Answer above is a lot better.

Assassin is tunnelling ST dmg based on dots, pool energy and semi burst by enevenom+artefact + ext. It's a lot more bleed based than it traditionally been even if sims seem to show the spec at later stages go more towards poisons. 2-3 target who have some health pool is fine, many adds with smal healthpool it's doing bad.

Outlaw, face on dmg with burst and superb aoe (compared to the other rogue specces). With Marked for death its AOE is in fact fantastic if things die in a order you mark them. Also leaning towards the highest ST spec.

Sub is high crit with dps build around pooling shadow dance to use stealth abilitys in non stealth. It's dps leaning toward high later in the gear development. It's Aoe is good but come in the expense of ST dmg
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2016-08-22 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by osicat View Post
    Tbh, just read thru your post history and tbh you seem like a bored and sad player. In 1 page you used the word boring in half of the posts. We need to find you a new hobby.
    WOW so much for just a game, i don't know who's the sad here :/
    Last edited by Schmilblick; 2016-08-21 at 11:52 AM.

For PvE, i would go Assassination.
    For PvP, Subtlety.

Assassination is the most specialized in its strenghts, having exceptional DPS up to 3 targets.
    The trade off however is their large scale AoE being very lackluster compared to other classes and a significant amount of ramp up time and poor target swapping.

Subtlety is more versatile. They have great single target damage, fantastic target swapping, great single target and larger AoE burst and acceptable 3-4 target cleaving.

Outlaw is also reasonably versatile and faster paced.
    Their on demand burst is lower and their cleave DPS on 3 targets or less is poor, but they have great sustain AoE and ST.
    Outlaw is all about adapting your playstyle based on the buffs you roll from Roll the Bones.
    Know how to change your rotation with each buff is the strenght of this class and makes it a very fun spec.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Most of the advice here on outlaw is out-dated.

After buffs and balancing outlaw is competitive for top dps in ST, and has very strong burst if prepared for it. Subjectively, it's fun to play, despite the rng mechanic behind roll the bones, plus, who doesn't like whipping out their pistol and using hookshot to move around?

Sub is set to out-scale assassination in later tiers and i would recommend it as the offspec to invest in. It's also very fun to play.

And assassination is still very strong as a dps spec...but i don't enjoy it because it's now a DoT spec, and very slow paced compared to the other two.

Sub and outlaw perform well in pvp because of their control and mobility - sub has teleports plus some unique goodies, and outlaw has ranged slow and stun and hookshot, assassination is...bad in pvp.

Outlaw - most fun spec in game, that does very very good dmg, and if you roll all 6 buffs noone can catch you on the meters

Assassin - boring as hell, you put bleeds on and basicly do nothing more just dump combat points in envenom

Sub - 70% of the fight you use shadowstrike and the rest you apply your debuffs and buffs

As for dmg they are all very close, outlaw atm is abit weak, but artifact will change that. If you want fun spec try outlaw, if you want to beat meters try the other 2, but after 2-3 raids you will quit rogue unless you play outlaw which will keep you interested for very long time, and you will always always be in the top 5 dmg done list.

Quote Originally Posted by junneh View Post
    Long time Rogue here, since vanilla, although, I mained a warrior through WoD.

Assasination and Sub are both very strong single target specs. Assa rotation is about keeping bleeds up and plays pretty smoothly, you can opt for small burts windows with talents. Aoe is alright i suppose, with the poison application thru Fan of knives (although Rogues will never be AOE kings, leave that to the fury wars and unholy dks for melee)

Sub is more like a melee arcane mage, you wait and pool energy then go ham in a shadowdance, plays like slow-fast-slow-fast in a constant cycle, vewry good on demand burst.

Traditionally ( talking vanilla/tbc here) combat/outlaw was our strongest PVE spec (also in raiding) however, this is not true anymore. Its the (probably) the fastest spec for questing,levelling,world stuff, etc. It is also better at aoe then the other specs due to blade flurry, killing spree, etc.

afaik assa is really strong in beta atm competing for top dps single target, as does sub. Outlaw is middle of the pack.

as for fun; this is completely subjective, while i still like playing my rogue alot (so mobile, stealthy, pvp is very nice on a rogue) im a bit bored with the combo points system and pve on a rogue.
    This is not correct. Latest sims have outlaw ahead of the pack by a good amount even on ST. Assassination follows and sub is a bit behind.

Quote Originally Posted by rocius View Post
    Outlaw - most fun spec in game, that does very very good dmg, and if you roll all 6 buffs noone can catch you on the meters

Assassin - boring as hell, you put bleeds on and basicly do nothing more just dump combat points in envenom

Sub - 70% of the fight you use shadowstrike and the rest you apply your debuffs and buffs

As for dmg they are all very close, outlaw atm is abit weak, but artifact will change that. If you want fun spec try outlaw, if you want to beat meters try the other 2, but after 2-3 raids you will quit rogue unless you play outlaw which will keep you interested for very long time, and you will always always be in the top 5 dmg done list.
    been playing a rogue for 10+ years. outlaw sucks and is my least favorite since BC combat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrizZJ View Post
    been playing a rogue for 10+ years. outlaw sucks and is my least favorite since BC combat.
    And how lucky we have several valid dps spec as opinions are so different. I played rogue sens BT rading in TBC and never before have I enjoyed a spec so much as I enjoy Outlaw atm. Best wow spec so far al classes imao.

The fact it's the top dps spec is just a bonus

Even seeing pirates of Caribbean just to get into the mood

Is there a rogue spec which can successfully solo the more difficult world quests/content?

Deleted
    Everybody has their own opinions on specs and i think Assassination is pretty awesome and outlaw works pretty nicely with the artifact, Subtlety is my least favorite spec.

Deleted
    This is very subjective about the fun factor. I don't like Sub and some people say Assassin is boring when I Sub is boring as hell. I suppose it's like pick either 1 from sin or sub and Outlaw. Picking Sub and Sin won't contribute to that different playstyle if I have to make summary.

I've mained a rogue since wotlk - took little breaks here and there but mostly been subbed since then. That being said, after trying all 3 rogue specs ... I will be maining a DK for legion.

I really like sub now. I like the shadowy theme. In pvp they are self-healing monsters. Burst isn't the best though, gone are the days of blowing up noobs. All rogue specs lost a shitload of mobility, especially out of combat. Not a fan of the assassination changes, it was perfect before. The pirate spec is not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I really like sub now. I like the shadowy theme. In pvp they are self-healing monsters. Burst isn't the best though, gone are the days of blowing up noobs. All rogue specs lost a shitload of mobility, especially out of combat. Not a fan of the assassination changes, it was perfect before. The pirate spec is not for everyone.
    lost mobility? you mean burst of speed. So OP it was broken. Rogues still have shitloads of mobility, atleast oulaw and sub do.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I've mained a rogue since wotlk - took little breaks here and there but mostly been subbed since then. That being said, after trying all 3 rogue specs ... I will be maining a DK for legion.
    Have fun getting destroyed by every other class in the game because burst is too high and we have no good self heal anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleReady View Post
    Is there a rogue spec which can successfully solo the more difficult world quests/content?
    I would probably say sub because of the talented selfheal while stealthed, followed by outlaw with grand melee

Deleted
    Sin with the Leeching poison is also very potent.