Have you ever gotten a job you weren't expecting to get?

You're good at your job, you're progressing nicely, however you're competing with other members of the department which have been there longer and are more experienced. You go for a promotion, get the interview, nail it and have been offered the role.

Did you ever feel any resentment or awkwardness from your colleagues?
    If so, how did you deal with it?

I'm in a similar situation and it does feel a tad awkward, but it has definitely motivated me to learn and dive into my new responsibility.

Anyone got any similar experiences?

Deleted
    No, neither have I gotten a job I was expecting to get.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never moved up into a role that I had to compete for, I just get more responsibility and money as I get better at what I do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    You're good at your job, you're progressing nicely, however you're competing with other members of the department which have been there longer and are more experienced. You go for a promotion, get the interview, nail it and have been offered the role.

Did you ever feel any resentment or awkwardness from your colleagues?
    If so, how did you deal with it?

I'm in a similar situation and it does feel a tad awkward, but it has definitely motivated me to learn and dive into my new responsibility.

Anyone got any similar experiences?
    Well I was offered the promotion without asking for it, and no, there was no awkwardness. Currently I have only one guy working under me, though I have authority with a whole lot more, and everyone seems to respect me. The guy working for me is actually the person who originally trained me for the position I was promoted from. He's a smart guy, and we've worked together extensively. He respects me and I respect him. Besides, he lives in Bolivia and wasn't about to move to Houston, so I was the obvious choice. That, and my boss had me slowly take on more responsibilities leading towards the promotion before the promotion was officially granted. He'd go out of country for a month and tell people that I would be holding down the fort while he's gone, for example, so it was no surprise to anyone when the promotion came down.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well I was offered the promotion without asking for it, and no, there was no awkwardness. Currently I have only one guy working under me, though I have authority with a whole lot more, and everyone seems to respect me. The guy working for me is actually the person who originally trained me for the position I was promoted from. He's a smart guy, and we've worked together extensively. He respects me and I respect him. Besides, he lives in Bolivia and wasn't about to move to Houston, so I was the obvious choice. That, and my boss had me slowly take on more responsibilities leading towards the promotion before the promotion was officially granted. He'd go out of country for a month and tell people that I would be holding down the fort while he's gone, for example, so it was no surprise to anyone when the promotion came down.
    Bullshit you gained a job that was his by just been one of these things.
    Sleezy dirt brownosing.
    Your boss is gay or has some sort of weird attraction to you.
    Or you outright just had connections who pushed you over him for promotion.

There is no way hard work ever makes it unless you do one of those 3 things.
    Not a single business works like this we ain't the 60's people that do hard work never get to reap the benefits.

Only the sub-human rat that brownoses his way to victory gets to reap those.
    And you said it your self he isn't present currently where you work so they chose you based on location not because you are doing better work.
    They gave you work just because you were on the correct location instead of him.

The job i have now, actually.

It's just a shipping / warehouse job but it's for a company that I have a lot of interest in, and it's one of the few of its kind in my city so there were a decent amount of people going for the job too.

Lol i had just walked out of my shitty job a year and a half ago and i walked into this place, asked if i could put a resume in. I put it out there at a few other places, too. This was the only place that called me, but i got the job.

Almost didn't, they were going to hire some chick but she didnt answer when they called her. Now my boss tells me its the most fortunate no response theyve ever had, to which i say yea fucker, chicks cant warehouse.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Sleezy dirt brownosing.

Not a single business works like this we ain't the 60's people that do hard work never get to reap the benefits.

And you said it your self he isn't present currently where you work so they chose you based on location not because you are doing better work.
    They gave you work just because you were on the correct location instead of him.
    Quite a lot of shitty assumptions there banned fella. Go get some psych help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sleezy dirt brownosing.

What the hell... that escalated quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    What the hell... that escalated quickly.
    The ironic thing is that he's accusing people of trolling in previous threads.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sleezy dirt brownosing.

A little rough, but I agree with most of you say. Companies I worked for have insane nepotism going on and the dress code is ignored depending on your cup size.
    You cared enough to post.

I overslept once and showed up to the interview a couple hours late.

They hired me on the spot and had me working the next day.

That should have been the first warning sign to me though... heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sleezy dirt brownosing.

Sure, whatever you say.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    All of the jobs I've had over the last 6 years, as I'm not actually qualified for the profession that I do. Despite what my cv says.
    Companies are pretty crap at checking qualifications.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    All of the jobs I've had over the last 6 years, as I'm not actually qualified for the profession that I do. Despite what my cv says.
    Companies are pretty crap at checking qualifications.
    Meanwhile my CV is shit and the thought of even exaggerating on it, let alone lying on it, makes me sick to my stomach and it took me a long ass time to find a job...

:'(

i have a job and a "second" part timme job in the three month of summer when my main job die down a little.
    AND NOW I FUCKING DO THE JOBS OF ALL THESE LAZY ASS AND I CAN ESCAPE EVERY TIMMMMMME BEFORE THE END and well, i know the other company in the neighbourhood want to hire me for next year since 7 years. But i dont want it, i wanted to stop it since 2 years ago, but they kept asking me every year - -

Applied to rando places cause I needed a job bad.

Got hired at a hospital as a food server. Great company and all that, but tuck food service. I left in two weeks. Had I known such a company would hire me fast, u would have applied for a nursing position or sketching in the pharmacy.

I applied for a promotion and got it, making one of the biggest leaps they've seen in my branch of the company ever. When I was asked by one of my big bosses if I had any experience in the position when I first applied, I told him "not yet." Then I nailed the interview to such an extreme that everyone knew how well I did, and I even got congratulated by a manager before the decision was made final.

Sure, some people got their panties in a bunch about it, but fuck 'em. If I can do better than with you less time and experience, what does that say about you?

I have only applied for one job in my professional career, since then I have been asked my recruiters to come on board at varies levels at different companies, some are great places to work others were sinking ships. I have been very fortunate in my life, and now I mentor young professionals and entrepreneurs in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk