Demonology is MELEE spec

This is only prepatch info, not a Legion info!!

Class trinket has x% chance to spawn 3 imps at your feet. Each firebolt they do has a 2% chance to spawn a Hellhound or Illidari Satyr (melee demons) at your feet.

So basically. If you stand 40 yards away from a boss, class trinket will spawn imps +- 40 yards away from boss and these imps will spawn demons also +- 40 yards away from boss. These demons then have to walk to boss before they start attacking, so therefore they are wasting a lot of time doing so.

If you stood at boss' feet entire fight, these demons would most likely have to walk 5 yards instead of 20 or 40 yards or whatever.

Anyway, this is definitely a DPS increase rather than DPS loss if you stood at boss' feet. This works only with movement unheavy fights although you can deal with movement while consuming Shadowy Inspiration stack with Demonbolt/Shadowbolt. Also, you will make it harder for your raid to have another "melee" there, and you will have to deal with both melee and ranged mechanics. Therefore, you can do it only at appropriate times :P

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Wenoxar; 2016-08-21 at 09:48 PM.

Running with the boss all the time is a way bigger dps loss. You can choose to gimp yourself, sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting, I suspect the dps loss would be minimal, but for the top end raiding guild, if any warlocks play demo, they would stand very close, or even in the melee pile.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

The damage increase from standing in melee is going to be irrelevant a lot of the time if ranged only boss abilities still target you.

Class trinket is dead at 110. The 2% chance for them to spawn the hellhouds are on the CURRENT tier of our class armor. SO no, in Legion we will not be in melee nor will the top guilds have locks in melee.

Having played both the prepatch and the Beta .... The imps spawn at your feet and immediately start casting fireballs at the boss. The hellhounds spawn at your feet and immediately leap to the boss and start attacking him (<1 sec after spawning).

You can make use of Shadowy Inspiration to do some movement, but yeah of course it'd be a DPS loss if you have to run all around catching boss, lol.

Imagine a fight where you don't have to. And a fight that you don't care about mechanics, since it's prepatch and a lot of things are forgiving. Such as Tyrant or Archimonde heroic boosts-alike fights, or whatever else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beltiger View Post
    Having played both the prepatch and the Beta .... The imps spawn at your feet and immediately start casting fireballs at the boss. The hellhounds spawn at your feet and immediately leap to the boss and start attacking him (<1 sec after spawning).
    Wait what? Hellhounds don't leap at boss... They just walk chill-out style.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenoxar View Post
    You can make use of Shadowy Inspiration to do some movement, but yeah of course it'd be a DPS loss if you have to run all around catching boss, lol.

Imagine a fight where you don't have to. And a fight that you don't care about mechanics, since it's prepatch and a lot of things are forgiving. Such as Tyrant or Archimonde heroic boosts-alike fights, or whatever else.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait what? Hellhounds don't leap at boss... They just walk chill-out style.
    The dreadstalkers from summon dreadstalker leaps at the boss. The hell hounds are from http://www.wowhead.com/item=124167/d...ngs&bonus=1801 . Hellhounds and Satyrs.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    The dreadstalkers from summon dreadstalker leaps at the boss. The hell hounds are from http://www.wowhead.com/item=124167/d...ngs&bonus=1801 . Hellhounds and Satyrs.
    Yes indeed but /thread/ doesn't refer to Dreadstalkers. We're speaking here of Hellhounds and Satyrs which indeed have to walk (not even run, seriously) to boss.

At the risk of being needlessly dismissive - this is completely irrelevant.
    The only way this level of min/maxing matters is going to be in a mythic raiding environment and in a mythic raiding environment your position is going to be dictated by boss mechanics, not DPS optimization. There are almost literally zero cases where you could ever stand in melee as a Warlock aside from boss-required stack phases. Ranged abilities target ranged-spec players, not ranged-distance. Any tiny personal DPS gain you could achieve from this would be negated 10-fold by the danger of being targeted by abilities like that in melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahela View Post
    At the risk of being needlessly dismissive - this is completely irrelevant.
    The only way this level of min/maxing matters is going to be in a mythic raiding environment and in a mythic raiding environment your position is going to be dictated by boss mechanics, not DPS optimization. There are almost literally zero cases where you could ever stand in melee as a Warlock aside from boss-required stack phases. Ranged abilities target ranged-spec players, not ranged-distance. Any tiny personal DPS gain you could achieve from this would be negated 10-fold by the danger of being targeted by abilities like that in melee.
    In Legion mythic raiding it will not work because class trinket in Legion doesn't work.

Mythic raiding at the moment should be rather called a "joke raiding" for most 13/13m guilds and I don't see a reason why not to stay in melee on certain boss fights in order to achieve higher DPS.

In Legion mythic raiding it will not work because class trinket in Legion doesn't work.

Mythic raiding at the moment should be rather called a "joke raiding" for most 13/13m guilds and I don't see a reason why not to stay in melee on certain boss fights in order to achieve higher DPS.
    Why risk wiping a farm fight for a < 1% increase to personal DPS? One melee felseeker on Mannoroth costs dramatically more DPS than you could ever gain, as a singular example. Just always strikes me as foolish when people try unnecessarily risky strategies like that on farm for minimal personal gain, at the expense of their raidmates.

Deleted
    Because any boss where it was possible to stand in melee without causing ramifications, you generally were already for group healing.

Archi you're generally stood on the boss.
    Manno you're generally stood on the boss.
    Xul you're generally further away due to mechanics.
    Zakuun you're generally stood further away for mechanics.
    Tyrant you're generally stood on the boss.
    Socrethar you're generally stood on the boss.
    Iskar you're generally stood at range for mechanics.
    etc etc

Like, which encounter is this going to make a difference on without causing you to lose more dps because you're either running around like a clown or chasing double digit dps gains while causing issues for your raid? If it's possible to stand in melee, you're usually doing that already.