Page 1 of 2
LastLast

am i doing something wrong? WW monk.

707 ilvl.

no class trinket or legendary ring.

im on a raiders training dummy and CANNOT sustain more than 26k dps. Without Storm/earth/fire and touch of death i do around 24k dps steady.

If i use my cooldowns, i hit around 55k-60k dps, and then 30 seconds later around 40k, and 30 seconds later, 35k, and 30 seconds later 32k and it just kept going down more and more until 28k.

I don't get what i am doing wrong.. is this normal? On cleave fights man i ROCK the meter's, but 24-28k dmg MAX single target dmg? o_O

here is a full 2 minute log, from 1 Touch of death till the beginning of the next one, i got to use 3 charges of Storm earth and fire.
    www warcraftlogs com/reports/Prwv4XC9btfJMAxp/ (add the .'s becasue i can't post links)
    My dps drops to 30k at that point, and if i continue the EXACT same dps rotation, it just keeps dropping and dropping to about 26k in the next 2 full minutes.
    Last edited by boolawa; 2016-08-22 at 01:32 AM. Reason: warcraftlog

Try listing what you do, and preferably linking logs (warcraftlogs.com) too. Saying "Am I doing it wrong?" and not saying WHAT you are doing is just silly.

Don't worry about it until 110, but ya obviously you need to link some logs so we can see what it is that you are actually doing lol.
    You could be playing perfectly and bursting to a billion DPS then going afk for the other 80 percent of the fight and we would never know!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

using eye of the tiger for this, chi wave nets me only a bit more dps with an extra button push every 15 seconds.

opener (without including trinkets/stormearthnfire/touchofdeath)

Tigerplam > Fists of Fury > Tiger Palm > Rsun King > WDP > Tiger Plam > BoK etc follow priority

PRIORITY FoF>RsK>WDP > generate chi if under 4chi and almost full energy, or use black out kick if extra chi.

(never cap on energy)
    (never cap on chi)

edit: (no idea what logs are or how to post them, is there an easy way to do this?)

Its easy, but you'll have to learn how to do it. Just look into it, shouldnt take more than a small portion of mental effort.

I think your post there is a clear indicator about why we need to see them.
    It appears to be that you know what you are talking about and that's awesome.
    But perhaps there is an execution error present that a second party can identify that may not seem obvious to you, ya know?

Either way, for now the number you are seeing on the dummy is irrelevant. Worry about it when you are 840+ lvl and level 110 waiting for raids to open. Until then, all you need to worry about is killing mobs that give quest credit.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

i edited my orginal post and listed a log.

People need to realize, all DPS in general has been lowered due to the changes. People who could do 120K, now only do 50-60k. You can't magically make it better. We no longer have raid buffs, classes were simplified, and all the real power won't come until you hit level 110 and have your artifact weapon.

Also, you said it yourself. Your Ilvl is 707. If you want 50k sustained as things are now, you will need 715 or more. Those few numbers make more of a difference than you think.
    Last edited by Lifetapper; 2016-08-22 at 02:20 AM.

k then why is my mage who's fresh 70, with 702 ilvl felgear doing 60k dps for 30 seconds, and then keeping above 50k for over 1 minute, and then by 2minutes having a minimum of 45k?

isnt that a tad more than 26k?

Your logs look fine. Rotation is fine. With no class trinket your damage is right around where it should be for the ilvl. Damage is substantially different now. ST sustain I cap around 67k on a short fight with little movement.

Quote Originally Posted by boolawa View Post
    k then why is my mage who's fresh 70, with 702 ilvl felgear doing 60k dps for 30 seconds, and then keeping above 50k for over 1 minute, and then by 2minutes having a minimum of 45k?

Because it's a mage and not your monk. DPS is all lower in general, but some classes as they are now at level 100, do way more damage than others. Also, 2 mins is not long enough to gage numbers on a target dummy. You need at least 5 mins to know if you are truly sustaining things. And dummies don't show the same results as an actual raid. Also be careful because some classes like a fire mage will cleave automatically, and if you are using the Garrison dummy, you will see higher numbers due to a cleave to the dummy right next to it.

Edit: Also, my advice for target dummies: Don't use cooldowns. Focus on your primary rotation only, and see how you sustain it. It's not about your burst damage, it's about your sustain damage.
    Last edited by Lifetapper; 2016-08-22 at 02:40 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifetapper View Post
    People need to realize, all DPS in general has been lowered due to the changes. People who could do 120K, now only do 50-60k. You can't magically make it better. We no longer have raid buffs, classes were simplified, and all the real power won't come until you hit level 110 and have your artifact weapon.

Also, you said it yourself. Your Ilvl is 707. If you want 50k sustained as things are now, you will need 715 or more. Those few numbers make more of a difference than you think.
    This is nonsense, this is my monk alt (Bruceflea), no class trinket and low ilvl legendary ring:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...V3Xj/#fight=11

Was Ilvl 711 in that log, 55k on Zakuun with a few mistakes, between 40-50k on most fights and 45k average on all bosses, which is low cause i messed up big time on Mannoroth an Council:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e-done&boss=-2

I'm now ilvl 715 and only about 3k dps higher. The real difference comes from getting mythic gear (725+), that is where your dps skyrockets.

I'd even say WW monk is less gear dependant thatn most other specs, because of the way our stats are as good as equal after 10% Versatility and all of our attacks atm scale of AP rather than weapon dmg (so having lower ilvl wepaons doesn't matter much either).
    Last edited by mmocd1f612b92e; 2016-08-22 at 10:05 AM.

That 10% versatility mantra is going to haunt us for the rest of the expansion I see, pretty hilarious

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conjugate View Post
    That 10% versatility mantra is going to haunt us for the rest of the expansion I see, pretty hilarious
    Stat priority differs slightly depending if you chose WDP or Serenity, but afaik the 10% Vers is still the goto rule.
    If you got any data showing otherwise i'd love to see it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by boolawa View Post

You'll absolutely not do this dps in a HFC Single target fight for that long. Doing so in the target raid dummy is silly, since you will cleave as much as you want and can stand still just doing dmg. With this ilvl you won't pass 30K dps on a real enviroment raid.

Deleted
    Can someone in this thread explain thoroughly why it's exactly 10% versatility that we need to do satisfying DPS? Why is the breakpoint at 10% and so on. Would really love to know.

Deleted
    Can someone in this thread explain thoroughly why it's exactly 10% versatility that we need to do satisfying DPS? Why is the breakpoint at 10% and so on. Would really love to know.
    There is no reason to get this 10% versatility. You need about 130 vers to insrease dps by 1% and about 80 mastery for 1%. So what is the point? Versatility doesnt interract with any of your abilities its just flat dps increase.
    Last edited by mmoc6e1f4e7317; 2016-08-22 at 04:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedros View Post
    There is no reason to get this 10% versatility. You need about 130 vers to insrease dps by 1% and about 80 mastery for 1%. So what is the point? Versatility doesnt interract with any of your abilities its just flat dps increase.
    Do you have any hard data supporting this claim? Because all of the sims i've seen show the breakpoint being at 10% versatility.

Deleted
    I have 621 versatility on my monk and it gives me 4,78%, so 621/4,78% = 129,9 per 1%. And this is below magic 10% breakpoint.

Of course it might change at level 110, but we are talking about level 100.
    Last edited by mmoc6e1f4e7317; 2016-08-22 at 04:55 PM.

Deleted
    Is the so called 'magic breakpoint' of 10% due to diminishing returns or what?

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as I'm pretty sure I'm single handedly responsible for spreading the 10% versatility, here's the situation. 10% Vers came from simply wanting to illsutrated to people that they needed more Vers, around 10%, other stats catch up, Vers is still useful. Its not a cap or a breakpoint.

However

This was based on simulations that had a small bug resulting in it undervaluing Mastery. Once we fixed this bug, Mastery showed to be the go to stat with no achieveable break point. If you're harping the 10% Vers then you're doing so with several week old information. Its why we always preach that things change, specially during highly volatile periods of change like prepatch and the beginning of the expansion.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch