Fixing addon errors once and for all (too many errors in your UI...) HIDE this?

I'm done.

I have had these errors for as long as I remember. First in annoying popups, that I have managed to block using BugGrabber and Bugsack. But now they're being pasted in my chat and FLOODING my chat.

I KNOW THERE MAY BE AN ISSUE WITH MY ADDONS. But I don't CARE because they WORK and there is *nothing* I can do to fix them anyway, everything is always up to date, I can't code Lua nor do I want to learn this. The only issue with my UI are these errors in the chat, so before the heroes come to tell me to "fix the addons that are a problem" - i'm not planning to, cause I cannot, my UI is fine, my WoW runs on High settings at max FPS and there's nothing degraded about my experience other than these chat errors.

To clarify, these errors appear in the CHAT, not the pop up - that I have already blocked with BugGrabber. http://imgur.com/a/bxwow

Thank you for pointing me to an addon or ANY way to get rid of these errors.

Edit: After much google, I am carefully hopeful that I have found a fix in the following macro (that I did not make myself, but some wizard (mage, actually) on the official WoW forums):

/run if GetCVar("ScriptErrors")=="1" then SetCVar("ScriptErrors","0");print("Show LUA Errors: Off");else SetCVar("ScriptErrors","1");print("Show LUA Errors: On");end
    This is a toggle, so if you do it once it enables errors, do it again it disables, etc. Just make a macro out of it

Thanks guys for whiteknighting a completely useless system that is flooding me with obscure, meaningless errors only readable with another addon, just cause elvui couldn't find a font or similar, meaningless 'problems'
    Last edited by Cirque; 2016-08-22 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Download !BugGrabber and !BugSack addons

Then you'll only see errors when you actually want to see them..
    But remember to mute !BugGrabber, if you don't want it to spam sounds for each bug caught
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

While I appreciate you guys takinhg the time to answer me, I already have Buggrabber and bug sack, Buggrabber is moving the errors to my chat (I think), and I have found no way to remove the chat messages this far.

And as I said, I do honestly not care if there are 100 errors or 1000, everything works perfectly, I have already tried to investigate and/or solve these issues *numerous* times over the past few years with no luck, my UI is WORKING other than these errros. I understand that hiding them does not make errors go away, but that was not the intention, I just don't wanna see them. At the point where my UI actually stops working, which, this far, has never been the case, I will "investigate" even more than I already have. I have no slowdowns, no crashes, nothing. I have 60 FPS capped and probably way more uncapped at High and Very High. My game is more stable than my life.

There are no updates.

They are maintained.

There is never any specific info on what addon is causing the issue. Even if there was, all my addons work as they should. My game is running as I want it to. I see no point in troubleshooting anything when I have literally no trouble.

So, how do I hide these messages forever?

Also, Interface-> help-> hide errors has not been in this game anymore for, oh, ages.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2016-08-22 at 02:52 PM.

This is why when they removed the ability to disable errors form the GUI interface I was thrilled.

First off, your addons or at the very least something in Blizzard's code is not working perfectly or you would not get these errors. Finding the cause and reporting it is the best possible thing you can do because it means you have helped, in some small way, to track down and eliminate errors.

Granted there will always be the cranky author who says something like "I can't reproduce this so it's not an error" but that shouldn't stop you from reporting what you see. The more detail you cna give, the better it will be of a chance that this can get fixed.

So in short, please don't ignore errors, they are there for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Galaxy MV4478-87, Vontos cluster, Alpha Prime
    I´m on same boat with OP. Myself as well using tons of addons along with Bugsack/buggrabber. I know wich ones causing those errors, yet the functionality of those addons are essential for me. All i get from that is constant spam of "theres too many errors in your UI"..

Update/fix, replace of disable the addons. It's as easy as that.
    Get !BugSack of Bugger and figure out which addon's causing the errors.

<-164 addons atm and not a single error.
    Last edited by tordenflesk; 2016-08-22 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    I´m on same boat with OP. Myself as well using tons of addons along with Bugsack/buggrabber. I know wich ones causing those errors, yet the functionality of those addons are essential for me. All i get from that is constant spam of "theres too many errors in your UI"..
    What addons are you (and the OP) using that are so essential but also outdated? Surely there will be replacements out there.

Forced some errors. This is how you find out which one is giving you the system message.

It's the one with the massive number.
    Last edited by Jabberie; 2016-08-22 at 09:40 PM.

Seems you want to ignore the problem rather than actually fixing it.
    Not sure we can do anything for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceylina View Post
    This is why when they removed the ability to disable errors form the GUI interface I was thrilled.

First off, your addons or at the very least something in Blizzard's code is not working perfectly or you would not get these errors. Finding the cause and reporting it is the best possible thing you can do because it means you have helped, in some small way, to track down and eliminate errors.

Granted there will always be the cranky author who says something like "I can't reproduce this so it's not an error" but that shouldn't stop you from reporting what you see. The more detail you cna give, the better it will be of a chance that this can get fixed.

So in short, please don't ignore errors, they are there for a reason.
    I'm not here to develop or even help develop, and let's face it, neither is 99% of the WoW community. I have done so in the past - I always report serious bugs, or issues, or provide feedback. But there's nothing serious going on, so what author is even gonna look at my shit? Plus, flooding my chat with errors is really not generating any good will on my part, either. As a by now fulltime Windows troubleshooter, these WOW errors are there 100% to piss me off, and for other reason. ANY other way they'd be presented in would be more useful; actual line that is causing the issue, what addon, etc - a fucking error log generated in a .txt that I can actually use, for example. ANYTHING but this completely useless error report devoid of ANY information. The reason errors are there in general is to troubleshoot issues you have, not to be a tester. I have some errors in my Windows Log but I cannot fix them immediately, and since everything works I am not going to spend HOURS to get it fixed, chancing to break something else. It's the same in WoW. I have no issues, so the errors are moot, and I want them gone. Whatever is not working perfectly is not affecting me in any way, so I don't see why I need to get error FLOOD (and by flood I mean, every 2 second this message in chat).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Seems you want to ignore the problem rather than actually fixing it.
    Not sure we can do anything for you.
    That's correct, happy you're the first one to get this. So how do I go about ignoring it the best? Anything to hide the messages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    What addons are you (and the OP) using that are so essential but also outdated? Surely there will be replacements out there.
    but why? My UI is working fine. The only thing that's not fine is the flood of error messages. I'd be more willing to fix if they'd actually provide me with some info on what is the error, but noo.

These are my addons. ALL ARE UP TO DATE. MOst errors are Elvui related, by the way. Some are weakauras. Both addons function as I want them to.

ELvUI
    ActionBAr saver (actually outdated but disabling it doesn't resolve shit so)
    Addon COntrol panel
    Bigwigs
    Buggrabber
    bugsack
    Clique
    Gnosis
    GTFO
    Skada
    Weakauras
    zPets

not a baffling list either if you ask me

- - - Updated - - -

Look, I appreciate the replies, but there's literally nothing you guys can say to convince me a steady flood of error messages in either popup box or chat, without any actual information, is a constructive and useful way to let me know something is wrong. Neither should I be forced to fix anything just to get rid of an error message, rather than to get rid of a problem. I'm OK fixing problems, I'm not ok fixing nothing just so I no longer have to get irritated by an error report.

I know you find it hard to believe my UI works as I want it to but that happens to be the case. Why would I spend tons of hours changing everything just to get rid of an error message that is there for no clear reason? If Windows would give you a popup everytime something is wrong with your pc you'd go batshit crazy. There's a reason this does not happen, it's because most errors are irrelevant to the user experience. It's exactly the same shit here. Whatever these errors are, they are irrelevant to me or my experience.

Let's be realistic here.

I want a way for these messages to not display. if at any time in the future I have an actual problem with any of my addons, I will fix it as it comes.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2016-08-22 at 11:18 PM.

Not the solution I like, but see if this works.
    This assumes the default UI, and I don't know how or if ElvUI will change this.

Right-click your chat tab, and choose Settings.
    There are 3 categories of chat messages, Chat, Global Channels and Other.
    Select Other - and on the right-hand side is a checkbox for Errors.
    Uncheck that and error message may not appear your chat.
    This is on a per chat-frame basis, per character most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

How to ignore it best? Turn off System messages in your chat settings.

Edit, oh ComputerNerd basically said that.
    Last edited by Jabberie; 2016-08-23 at 12:23 AM.

We've told you how to view the errors causing this, if you refuse to follow our advice, enjoy...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    I'm not here to develop or even help develop, and let's face it, neither is 99% of the WoW community. I have done so in the past - I always report serious bugs, or issues, or provide feedback. But there's nothing serious going on, so what author is even gonna look at my shit? Plus, flooding my chat with errors is really not generating any good will on my part, either. As a by now fulltime Windows troubleshooter, these WOW errors are there 100% to piss me off, and for other reason. ANY other way they'd be presented in would be more useful; actual line that is causing the issue, what addon, etc - a fucking error log generated in a .txt that I can actually use, for example. ANYTHING but this completely useless error report devoid of ANY information. The reason errors are there in general is to troubleshoot issues you have, not to be a tester. I have some errors in my Windows Log but I cannot fix them immediately, and since everything works I am not going to spend HOURS to get it fixed, chancing to break something else. It's the same in WoW. I have no issues, so the errors are moot, and I want them gone. Whatever is not working perfectly is not affecting me in any way, so I don't see why I need to get error FLOOD (and by flood I mean, every 2 second this message in chat).

- - - Updated - - -

That's correct, happy you're the first one to get this. So how do I go about ignoring it the best? Anything to hide the messages.

- - - Updated - - -

but why? My UI is working fine. The only thing that's not fine is the flood of error messages. I'd be more willing to fix if they'd actually provide me with some info on what is the error, but noo.

These are my addons. ALL ARE UP TO DATE. MOst errors are Elvui related, by the way. Some are weakauras. Both addons function as I want them to.

ELvUI
    ActionBAr saver (actually outdated but disabling it doesn't resolve shit so)
    Addon COntrol panel
    Bigwigs
    Buggrabber
    bugsack
    Clique
    Gnosis
    GTFO
    Skada
    Weakauras
    zPets

not a baffling list either if you ask me

- - - Updated - - -

Look, I appreciate the replies, but there's literally nothing you guys can say to convince me a steady flood of error messages in either popup box or chat, without any actual information, is a constructive and useful way to let me know something is wrong. Neither should I be forced to fix anything just to get rid of an error message, rather than to get rid of a problem. I'm OK fixing problems, I'm not ok fixing nothing just so I no longer have to get irritated by an error report.

I know you find it hard to believe my UI works as I want it to but that happens to be the case. Why would I spend tons of hours changing everything just to get rid of an error message that is there for no clear reason? If Windows would give you a popup everytime something is wrong with your pc you'd go batshit crazy. There's a reason this does not happen, it's because most errors are irrelevant to the user experience. It's exactly the same shit here. Whatever these errors are, they are irrelevant to me or my experience.

Let's be realistic here.

I want a way for these messages to not display. if at any time in the future I have an actual problem with any of my addons, I will fix it as it comes.
    That nothing serious today may become something game breaking next patch. When the pre-patch hit when ever I logged out to character select the game would hang sometimes up to 5 minutes and would even crash with memory errors at times even when not switching chars. I finally found out it was caused by TSM3 turns out when I had gotten this list of item id's for selling transmogs three of the id's were bad I knew they were because the addon would tell me when ever I scanned for transmog items to sell but it caused no problems so I didn't worry about it for months. Well once the patch hit I started having those problems to fix it I ended up having to dig into the .Lua files to remove the id numbers as anytime the game called on those numbers it would cause a memory overflow so you couldn't easily remove them in game.

Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    We've told you how to view the errors causing this, if you refuse to follow our advice, enjoy...
    he doesnt want to know whats causing the errors, he wants to know how to stop seeing the error messages. there's a difference.

Run this and enjoy living in blissful ignorance until you start wondering why nothing works:

/console scriptErrors 0

Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    he doesnt want to know whats causing the errors, he wants to know how to stop seeing the error messages. there's a difference.
    The only sane way of doing that is to stop the offending addon from doing whatever it's doing. It could be as simple as unchecking an option. Since he's sticking his head in the sand and refusing to open !bugsack to look what the ACTUAL error is, there's no sane way of correcting the real issue.

Thank you Cirque. I would not dare try and convince you that your way wasn't the best for you because I was in the exact same boat. I have a couple dated addons that I have it load anyway because I've used them for a half decade, I like them, and there is no substitute or alternative short of taking the addon over and fixing it myself if that's even possible. Those who suggest Bugsack/Buggrabber don't quite understand the extent. Bugsack may help if you have it change the command to a single line but it's still annoying as sin. In the past 30m the above macro has reduced mine to about 2 visible total. Never wanted to upvote something so bad in my life. Had tried similar some months back without luck so glad to find someone got one working.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    I KNOW THERE MAY BE AN ISSUE WITH MY ADDONS. But I don't CARE because they WORK
    Obviously they DONT but hey you only wanna bitch and not take any help.....

otherwise start listening to people....

Quote Originally Posted by cetraben View Post
    Nice necro.

But that macro is the equivalent of putting a sticker on the check engine light on a car. Sooner or later your game will crash from too many lua errors, and you should already start noticing FPS drops (well you wouldn't as you've been dealing with it the entire time, but if you were to resolve the issues instead of ignoring them you'd notice an FPS increase)
    TBF, Blizz kinda agree w/ OP, by default error messages are disabled on fresh installs if no settings were saved on Blizz servers. A bit pathetic, but that's how things are.

Average user doesn't know how to report errors, or simply can't be arsed to do so, he just ditches the addon and moves along.

Yesterday in IRC I was ranting about users who say that something isn't working, but provide no error logs T_T And then few other devs told me about said sad fact. Dammit...

P.S. Had to reedit this post like 7 times, I need some coffee...
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-02-13 at 09:34 AM.