Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

PlayStation Plus Subscription Price Increasing

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pla...GSS-05-10aaa0b

Sony has announced PlayStation Plus membership prices will rise to $59.99 for 12 months and $24.99 for three months. The price of the monthly plan will remain at $9.99. The new pricing will go into effect on September 22.

The announcement was made on the PlayStation Blog, where an old post about August's free PlayStation Plus titles was updated with a statement.

"This marks the first time that PS Plus membership prices will increase in the U.S. and Canada since the launch of the service in 2010. The new pricing reflects the current market conditions while enabling us to continue providing exceptional value to our members," it reads.

"As a member, you will continue to enjoy the benefits and features that enable shared experiences, such as online multiplayer, free games, and exclusive discounts. You will also continue to get exclusive benefits such as online game save storage and discounts across the PlayStation digital services."

The prices of PlayStation Plus subscriptions are also increasing in Canada. The yearly price will be $69.99 CAD, three-month subscriptions will cost $29.99 CAD, and the monthly price will be $11.99 CAD.

As of yet, the European PlayStation Blog has not indicated prices will rise in Europe. This may be because there was a PlayStation Plus price hike in the UK in 2015. Before this, in 2014, Sony raised the price of PlayStation Plus in South Africa, Ukraine, Russia, Turkey, and India.

PlayStation Plus subscriptions grant owners the ability to play online, discounts on store content, and free games delivered monthly. August's titles included Tetris-esque title Tricky Towers and the most recent Yakuza game.

A PlayStation Plus subscription is required in order to continue playing the free games Sony provides. Once a subscription lapses, access the the library of free games is rescinded.
    Personally I think its bullshit, Now if they tied PSnow into it that would be one thing. But with them doing Psvue,PSnow and now raising the price of Ps+ I think its bullshit.

Don't care of its $60 a year its a cost that shouldn't be there in the first place. The selection of games this year for Ps+ has ranged from Meh to Crap imo.

What do you guys think about it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Never bothered with it personally. Division can be played on your own offline to an extent but meh if the 1 month plan is staying the same I don't really see much issue. Just have a renewing 1 month plan. Yes people like to buy in bulk but 10 dollars isn't a lot these days.

Its easy: Dont play on consoles - problem solved.

overwatch and FFXIV are the only games i play online, playstations have always been my 'shut out the world and lose your evening in single player game' console and the PS+ games have pretty much been garbage without exception in my opinion. If it wasn't for a few aforementioned online multiplayer games i would be using it to begin with no matter the price.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. The "free" games for the mandatory-for-online-play PS+ has been very lackluster when compared to the stuff we got for the PS3 when it was optional. It sucks, but unless you never play online it's not something you can avoid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stick to PC gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyrius View Post
    Stick to PC gaming.
    Or stick to whatever gaming you enjoy?

The #1 thing I hate about consoles if you wanted to play online, them stupid subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    The #1 thing I hate about consoles if you wanted to play online, them stupid subscriptions.
    Agreed a few games don't have it on PS4 like Neverwinter, Warframe and FF14. Can't think of any others off top of my head but those 3 I know don't require PS plus. Dunno if it's same story for Xbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never liked the sub-based online services for consoles and feel online matchmaking/co-op should always be free. I only paid for Xbox Live from 2002-2006 for the awesome online fighting game experiences I had with it at the time. Playing with some of the best players in Capcom Vs SNK 2, Guilty Gear, Dead or Alive Ultimate, and Street Fighter 3 was worth the price of admission at the time.

When I get my own PS4 with the upcoming slim model I will not be paying for the online service unless I have to activate something for whatever reason. I do all of my online gaming on the PC, 3DS, and Wii U because they are free.

If Nintendo charges a service for the NX though, I will probably pay for it as I love online Mario Kart matches. :/
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Agreed a few games don't have it on PS4 like Neverwinter, Warframe and FF14. Can't think of any others off top of my head but those 3 I know don't require PS plus. Dunno if it's same story for Xbox.
    None of the f2p or sub games on ps4 required PS+

All the (Don't Play Console) comments are not constructive and quite pointless.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    None of the f2p or sub games on ps4 required PS+
    Ahhh I see. People would be losing their shit if FF14 did though at the fact of having to pay 2 subs. Also what do you expect. There are PC people who seem to think PC is the best thing since sliced fucking bread. It's sheer ignorance and some superiority complex of "Hurr durr PC master race".
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-08-22 at 04:44 PM.

Don't care of its $60 a year its a cost that shouldn't be there in the first place. The selection of games this year for Ps+ has ranged from Meh to Crap imo.

What do you guys think about it.
    Don't think the price should be there? How wrong you are! It doesn't matter whether or not you get the free games, it still costs money to run servers which millions of people connect to.
    "Do fish have dreams?" - Nick Cage
    The Cage!! In his most primal form!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Ahhh I see. People would be losing their shit if FF14 did though at the fact of having to pay 2 subs. Also what do you expect. There are PC people who seem to think PC is the best thing since sliced fucking bread. It's sheer ignorance and some superiority complex of "Hurr durr PC master race".
    True

/10char

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NickCageFanatic View Post
    Don't think the price should be there? How wrong you are! It doesn't matter whether or not you get the free games, it still costs money to run servers which millions of people connect to.
    You realize Sony nore Microsoft do shit right? Its all peer 2 peer or servers hosted by company's like EA. The only server Sony runs is the one that sells all there digital bullshit.

Don't speak unless you know what your talking about. Also Ps3 is still free online and has been since release.

So now the price shouldn't be there, would you be ok with steam charging you $60 a year?

Minimal price increase for a service that hasn't had a price change in years and is still cheap, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Minimal price increase for a service that hasn't had a price change in years and is still cheap, meh.
    Please do tell how its even a service? The games they have done for 3 years now are lackluster, There is still tons of issues and they go down weekly. Its a charge that shouldn't be there in the first place. They can keep there "Free Games" since its been crap after crap on ps4 and give me free online again.

The quality just does justify the price increase no matter how small or how much it is a year. At first I was ok with PS+ because I expected decent quality titles. But its been lackluster just last month we got NBA 2k15... A $5 basketball game....woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Please do tell how its even a service?
    You're paying for online play for non-MMO's, something the realized they need to charge for in order to be able to maintain after the PS3 days (PSN is much more stable than it used to be). Not to mention PS+ free games you get every month, which if you play even a fraction of them more than pay for the subscription.

The games they have done for 3 years now are lackluster, There is still tons of issues and they go down weekly.
    Ye, both networks have their problems but PSN is much better now than it used to be, and it's got more users than it used to have as well. What games are you talking about, first party Sony games? What do they even have to do with PSN pricing?

Its a charge that shouldn't be there in the first place. They can keep there "Free Games" since its been crap after crap on ps4 and give me free online again.
    I'd prefer if it wasn't forced for online play as well, but I also understand that it's a huge source of revenue for the company and it helps them cover the costs of running an online network. As for the free PS+ games, that's just subjective. They've had some pretty fantastic games offered through it, as far as I'm concerned.

The quality just does justify the price increase no matter how small or how much it is a year. At first I was ok with PS+ because I expected decent quality titles. But its been lackluster just last month we got NBA 2k15... A $5 basketball game....woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    I...what does NBA 2K15 have to do with PS+ pricing? Yeah, the games that come for free aren't always going to be spectacular, and that's fine. They can't have big AAA games that are in high demand every single month.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You're paying for online play for non-MMO's, something the realized they need to charge for in order to be able to maintain after the PS3 days (PSN is much more stable than it used to be). Not to mention PS+ free games you get every month, which if you play even a fraction of them more than pay for the subscription.
    You do realize the games you can play online are not ran by Sony right?

Would u be ok with steam charging a monthly price?

1) They gave you NBA 2k16 2 months ago which was the latest one, and a good 5 months before the new one comes out. Hardly a "$5 basketball game".
    2) On top of that in the past few months they have given out Yakuza 5, Furi, Tropico all very solid games. Tropico and Yakuza 5 are a combined $90 MSRP as well.
    3) If you don't want it don't buy it and stop crying. PS+ has carried Sony into the black ever since the release of the PS4.
    4) ZOMG $10 increase?! What ever will I do when you'll still be able to find it on sale for $30-35 if you actually look around?!
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-08-22 at 05:14 PM.

You do realize the games you can play online are not ran by Sony right?
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Why do you bring it up?