Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The George Lucas versions of Episodes VII-IX we will never get to see

So as the story goes George Lucas handed over a fully completed script for Episode VII as well as at least a direction for VIII & IX.

It really sucks that was included in the sale. Because now they can bastardize it and use it as source material, and it can be and will be so far from its original inception.

Personally I really didn't like Episode VII. I hated it when I first saw it, saw it a few more times, liked it for a while, and now its probably on the same rotation as the made for TV Ewok movies, ya I'll fire it up every now and again, but it definitely won't be my go to for my Star Wars fix.

I would just really love to see what George's original vision was.

I also thought that VII was mediocre compared to what everyone else seemed to think. It was fine... I didn't dislike it... but that's about all. Too much of a rehash of the first one (IV) for me.

That said... I thought the same about I II and III, so it doesn't really make a difference to me. Lucas' recent versions have not been any better. The last 4 movies have been mediocre as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really care if they followed the script or threw it out. I imagine I'd like either one exactly as much.

While the VII version we got was mediocre (at best), I agree ... Lucas has lost all credibility with I, II, and III ... so it doesn't really matter. The big disappointment was JJ Abrams, I think. But, the story belongs to Disney now. For better or for worse. (mostly likely worse ... but you never know!)

Judging by how poorly Lucas handled episodes 1-3 I do not feel this a big loss. The franchise is in a more assured place of production quality now than under Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Judging by how poorly Lucas handled episodes 1-3 I do not feel this a big loss. The franchise is in a more assured place of production quality now than under Lucas.
    Pft. Disney just smelled big profits to be made in merchandising and dived in. We'll get a bunch of "meh" movies and yet another crap ton of stuff on the side, but since it will not differ from the Lucas era too much, I'm not even mad. At least we're getting more Star Wars, even if it's mediocre.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    Pft. Disney just smelled big profits to be made in merchandising and dived in.
    Considering Star Wars was one of the most licensed products before Disney bought the franchise- Lucas hardly was above merchandising his material left & right.

The Crystal Skull and Episodes I-III seem to indicate that George Lucas should have as little to do with his IPs as possible. Yes VII was derivative to say the least but it beats the hell out of whatever train wreck Lucas had his mind on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Never got the hate for 1-3. I like all 7 so far, each in different ways. 3 is my favorite, w/o any question.

I didn't like episode 1 or 3 as much as the 4-6 I kinda liked 2. I like 7 more than any of the prequels he did episode 7 felt out of place because, the characters had dialogue with one another and it was kinda funny unlike any other star wars movie. I think it's a change for the better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Considering Star Wars was one of the most licensed products before Disney bought the franchise- Lucas hardly was above merchandising his material left & right.
    Like I said, nothing really changed, except at least we're getting movies. Disney simply wanted to cash in as well and who can blame them?
    Last edited by tumppu; 2016-08-22 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    I also thought that VII was mediocre compared to what everyone else seemed to think. It was fine... I didn't dislike it... but that's about all. Too much of a rehash of the first one (IV) for me.
    I liked 7, though I subscribe to the theory that it's a rehash/ retelling of 4-6, not just 4. It was entertaining on it's own, but mostly served as a reset/ start point for the movies going forward. It should be obvious now that it's going to by high adventure rather than poop jokes and government work.

That said... I thought the same about I II and III, so it doesn't really make a difference to me. Lucas' recent versions have not been any better. The last 4 movies have been mediocre as far as I'm concerned.
    1 was mediocre, 2 was worse, and 3 was just amusingly bad for me. Now granted, some of the stuff might just be my pet peeves, but a lot of it also was the green-screen/ acting in a box that marked the interaction of even well polished actors. Folks may have issues with 7, but I don't think any of it is with the actual cinematography rather than the plot or characters or whatever.

I don't really care if they followed the script or threw it out. I imagine I'd like either one exactly as much.
    The main difference for me is that the prequels left me expecting less and less with each movie, while 7 actually leaves me optimistic going forward.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Deleted
    I-III are strange beasts, it is like Lucas wanted to go for broke with the large mythological themes of legend. They work quite well when you try to view them as mythological stories, rather than action adventure movies.
    Palpatine is downright scary in I-III when you realize pretty much everything that happens is to his design (and the Machete order makes the final confrontation in VI that more potent, because when he says that, it is absolutely true). He knows the only thing that can really stop him is a Jedi and he is 100% confident he can pull Luke to the Dark Side. He expertly manipulates Anakin throughout Episode 2 and 3 setting him up to fall to his temptation in the end.
    And the whole Jar Jar Sith Lord thing would have been quite amazing to see if he hadn't freaked out at the bad reaction people had.

I would really have liked to see Lucas' 7-9 over what's going to be this hodgepodge of ideas (Ep 7 was written by Abrams, Kasden and Arndt, Ep 8 by Rian Johnson).
    Plot-wise Ep 7 is a retread of 4-6 (not just 4). It has some strong themes about family which is nice to see. Let's hope they can find something interesting to say

10+ Year Old Account
    7 was still a lot better than the prequels. I tried watching 7 for the third time but couldn't get through it. I think that the problem with it is boredom, while the prequels just make you cringe and vomit.

I know what Lucas' vision of 1-3 was, Im good on any more of that flotsam.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I'm not saddened by this. Let's keep creative control out of his hands for as long as possible.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Disney is going to Marvel the shit out of this. Expect 2-3 Star Wars movies a year in the universe if not more by 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Disney is going to Marvel the shit out of this. Expect 2-3 Star Wars movies a year in the universe if not more by 2018.
    Not sure why you say that like its a bad thing. If they have the same level of quality as Marvel we should be lucky to have a steady stream of quality Star Wars content.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Thanks for the good times and for creating a true juggernaut piece of art, but I'd rather have the Disney money making machine handle new star wars movies. George seems to have lost touch with reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought episode 7 was fine.

It was well acted, had likable characters, and a coherent plot.

The same can't be said for episodes 1-3. Lucas became too sure of his own direction, whereas in episodes 4-6 he had other writers and directors collaborating with him on the process. So if he were given another shot, he'd probably make the same mistakes.

Episode 7's downside was that it rehashed so many of episode 4-6's points.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

nah, not interested in that shit in the slightest. I get the criticism with 7 being a remake of 4 which it pretty much is, it's still faaaar better than anything Lucas came out with after the first trilogy.