Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    When in Rome, do as Romans do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    What if a specific practice done in the name of freedom of religion conflicts with neccesary protocols that makes a given country safe and able to provide you with that freedom in the first place?

What then?
    Its freedom of religion, it can conflict without breaking the law. Ask any lawyer. Sikhs by religious duty wield knifes, but in UK e.g. It is against the Law upon wearing knifes by regular folk, though Sikhs get special treatment. Niqab is in the same situation. I never heard of an incident where a women wearing a niqab stole something and used the niqab as a escape, people are just assuming and giving worse criticism regarding niqabs, because some politications brought it up

Quote Originally Posted by Kayn View Post
    Its freedom of religion, it can conflict without breaking the law. Ask any lawyer. Sikhs by religious duty wield knifes, but in UK e.g. It is against the Law upon wearing knifes by regular folk, though Sikhs get special treatment. Niqab is in the same situation. I never heard of an incident where a women wearing a niqab stole something and used the niqab as a escape, people are just assuming and giving worse criticism regarding niqabs, because some politications brought it up
    heres 4 different articles. btw i dont see the problem with sikhs wearing knives, cops have guns anyway if you try and come at a cop with a knife you will lose.
    while it may suck for religious freedom, they can wear their niqab at home all they like.
    http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/man-uses-ni...bbery-1.591269

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...bery-1.3221372
    in this article they didnt get away but its a robbery committed all the same.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12101647

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/mmw/201...ank-robberies/

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    The problem is the security risk is this.

Police: "Take off the Niqab"
    Person: *detonates*
    People are going to kill people regardless of what weapons they can get
    People are going to blow people up regardless of what clothes they wear

It entirely depends on how far a country will bend for religion. IMO, it shouldn't bend too far. Otherwise others will test out just what they can possibly do and claim it for the sake of religion. It sucks for those who are sincere about their beliefs and mean zero harm to others, but we live in a world where the few ruin it for the rest.

If the school and other public places have a rule against face covering and this student is allowed, why can't a guy walk around with just a loincloth and say it's his religious belief?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    In my opinion religion should be more of a private thing and law of the state > religious beliefs. If its inapropriate to wear something that covers your face: dont wear it. And in placecs like schools it simply is inapropriate. Freedom of religion is good but it should have its limits. It is or should be, that you are free to belief whatever you are believing in, no matter what others beliefe or how ridicilous your believes are in the eyes of someone else. But that should not mean that you can do and act as you please in the name of your religion when its inadequate or in public life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Not sure why it's not banned in entire educational system.
    That's beside the point. There are readers who take things at face value they won't go and check but comment right away. It gets even worse if said false message is spread throughout social media. Germany has not banned them yet and it's unlikely that they will come to a conclusive solution anytime soon.

I am not a friend of laws being too specific because it would allow under circumstance to circumvent the law by using other means or reasons, it also has the side-effect of being accused of targeting specific groups.

In principle I am in favour of generally extending anti-mask laws for security purposes to public places and institutions or institutions fulfilling purposes on behalf of public law which means it's covering all kinds of places including schools and would not explicitly aim at specific groups. Modern law should supersede ancient religious laws especially when it comes to matters of security.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    heres 4. sikhs can wear knives, cops have guns anyway if you try and come at a cop with a knife you will lose.
    while it may suck for religious freedom, they can wear their niqab at home all they like.
    http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/man-uses-ni...bbery-1.591269

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...bery-1.3221372
    in this article they didnt get away but its a robbery committed all the same.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12101647

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/mmw/201...ank-robberies/
    Keyword: Men - Thats got nothing to do with a religion, they are just two morons that didn't have ski-masks so they went and bought niqabs. You are clearly confused. You don't understand the religion of a Sikh, they wear knifes to protect not to kill. Get it straight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to wear sth like that as a native German in my school either.
    Teachers usually don't like it if they can't see the faces of their pupils.

Hell, we were even asked to take of simple hats / baseball-caps.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    When in Rome, do as Romans do.
    I don't think you would necessarily follow all the customs of the native population, if you were more or less forced to leave your country to live in a muslim country, or?
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It entirely depends on how far a country will bend for religion. IMO, it shouldn't bend too far. Otherwise others will test out just what they can possibly do and claim it for the sake of religion. It sucks for those who are sincere about their beliefs and mean zero harm to others, but we live in a world where the few ruin it for the rest.

If the school and other public places have a rule against face covering and this student is allowed, why can't a guy walk around with just a loincloth and say it's his religious belief?

Wearing something is "bending" too far? Let me know how that would made you feel, when someone forced you to wear something you don't want. Yes changing the law is enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I don't think you would necessarily follow all the customs of the native population, if you were more or less forced to leave your country to live in a muslim country, or?
    When in the land of cannibals, bring salt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to wear sth like that as a native German in my school either.
    Teachers usually don't like it if they can't see the faces of their pupils.

Hell, we were even asked to take of simple hats / baseball-caps.
    Because wearing a baseball cup is not against the law so teachers can have decisions, some are cool and let you have it some don't. If you fail to oblige then you are one stubborn kid (talking in general). Wearing a niqab and then banning a student over is just against the law and the parents can sue and will win, thats why schools are very careful about it.

Because wearing a baseball cup is not against the law so teachers can have decisions, some are cool and let you have it some don't. If you fail to oblige then you are one stubborn kid (talking in general). Wearing a niqab and then banning a student over is just against the law and the parents can sue and will win, thats why schools are very careful about it.
    I mean if it was a private school I'd understand, but public property has different rules as far as I'm concerned.

Keyword: Men - Thats got nothing to do with a religion, they are just two morons that didn't have ski-masks so they went and bought niqabs. You are clearly confused. You don't understand the religion of a Sikh, they wear knifes to protect not to kill. Get it straight.
    niqabs are less conspicious than wearing say a ski mask to a bank robbery. it is you who is confused if you cant figure that one out, and their sex is irrelevant. it may be a woman's attire but any disguise can be worn by a criminal regardless of it being for male/female. I know Sikhs are generally peaceful and theres a 0.001% chance they would attack someone with their ceremonial knife so thats no big deal to me. i'm just saying a knife while it can be a deadly weapon usually a kirpan is not, especially when compared to a bomb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive View Post
    I mean if it was a private school I'd understand, but public property has different rules as far as I'm concerned.
    99% of the time, parents are not enforcing kids to wear the full niqabs, they are rather wearing hijabs, the one that you see the face and mostly they are attending faith schools, so whats the problem here?

Deleted
    What if it was part of my religion that women aren't allowed to leave the house?

Religious expression is fine as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others, and these women are indoctrinated from childhood to believe that they need to run around dressed like that because it pleases god. If anything, that form of religion is a form of abuse.

Certain practices in religions shouldn't be tolerated.

99% of the time, parents are not enforcing kids to wear the full niqabs, they are rather wearing hijabs, the one that you see the face and mostly they are attending faith schools, so whats the problem here?
    I'm agreeing with you. Public schools have no right to ban any clothing as far as I am concerned unless it's gang affiliation or something. Private schools can do whatever they want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    And why not? Do you really think you can order a beer in SA when you are forced to leave your country and live in SA? When you, for whatever reason, go to a country, you need to adopt the local customs and language.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be perfectly honest: I see no problem with regulating attire in Schools etc.
    You can wear what you want when you are out and about as a private person, but when you are in a school certain restrictions have to apply.

Can't wear a Bikini and flipflops on a hot summer day as a teacher either.