Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unholy DK Professions

Hey guys,

I've been playing DK in WotlK but haven't played much since. I will come back to Legion, because I really like the direction the game is headed to and a lot of the features in legion.

Of course a lot of things have changes since wrath, also professions.

I was wondering which two professions you guys would recommend for an unholy DK. I've done some research and found out that a lot of the dps boosts professions used to grant have been removed. Also that you can craft viable gear for yourself now, especially in the beginning of the expansion.

So I was thinking going with Blacksmithing + X. Is engineering still good because of the utility? Or would you rather suggest another profession that may be better suited?

Not looking for making gold, just maximising the usefulness for my own character.

Thanks a bunch!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been playing DK in WotlK but haven't played much since. I will come back to Legion, because I really like the direction the game is headed to and a lot of the features in legion.

Of course a lot of things have changes since wrath, also professions.

I was wondering which two professions you guys would recommend for an unholy DK. I've done some research and found out that a lot of the dps boosts professions used to grant have been removed. Also that you can craft viable gear for yourself now, especially in the beginning of the expansion.

So I was thinking going with Blacksmithing + X. Is engineering still good because of the utility? Or would you rather suggest another profession that may be better suited?

Not looking for making gold, just maximising the usefulness for my own character.

Thanks a bunch!
    Mining is really good to farm the mats that are needed for crafting professions. Alot of people combine it with Jewelcrafting or Engineering, I myself went with Blacksmithing. Double crafting professions are not really useful, unless you actively play an alt that has the fitting gathering profession.

Professions will generally not affect your combat performance, but are rather a way of making gold/getting some entry level items.

Okay, but let's say money is not an issue and I can buy all the mats from the auction house, isn't then engineering really good given the utility it provides? Nitro boots give a really nice movement ability that, my guess, helps us a lot since unholy DK is not really that mobile.

So for raiding that would make the most sense, wouldn't it? Also looking at combat performance.

I would go with engineering honestly, has Rocket boots again in Legion on a 3 min CD, has a lot of cool toys/tinkers and some raid utility things from what i've heard. Blacksmithing if you want to craft your own gear and shit, and just have mining for either blacksmith/eng.

I have been using Engineering for so long, absolutely love it! To be honest with you, since the removal of DA, we move at the speed of smell now, so having any lift to our mobility from Engi is going to just be golden.
    Summon Apollo's fire, with hell and heaven's might. Then with great force attend, the falling of all men.
    Release this captured world, from point of no return. Destruction has no end, unless you ride again.

Does rocket boots still have the chance to fail?

7+ Year Old Account
    Ditched BS for chanting since gear will be replaced constantly for a few weeks. Just gonna buy armor and craft high end enchants to shatter for obliterum
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

Quote Originally Posted by Piz813 View Post
    Ditched BS for chanting since gear will be replaced constantly for a few weeks. Just gonna buy armor and craft high end enchants to shatter for obliterum
    can you sell obliterum on the AH? What's the reason you're going with enchanting over blacksmithing? Better profit from selling enchants over armor on the AH? Or is there any other advantage Enchanting can give you?

Deleted
    I'm currently thinking of going Ench + Skin on my main (DK) following by alt (WARR) with mining and BS. Ench for disenchanting stuff on main + materials for BS and skinning also for material becouse BS will need a lot of skinning material early on (until we hit exalted rep. and get rank 3 recipes). Then maybe change skin for herb.

The problem is that BS have by far the most expensive recipes so generating obliterium from BS will be either expensive or time consuming (depend if you farm your mats or buy them on AH). Maybe will be better to go some profession which has more optimal obliterium generation (like LW / JWC), buy basic 815 gear and upgrade it.

For me it depends mostly on how fast you can get Blood of Sargeras becouse best way how to get obliterium from BS would be to craft relics which need 8 BoS per craft but just 6 bars. These decissions are hard, so hard

Deleted
    im going with BS/JC for my main dk, so i can craft my own gear some relics + very good rings and necks and platearmor. Though will have rogue alt with skinning+Mining to help iwth mats for my main.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrisela View Post
    im going with BS/JC for my main dk, so i can craft my own gear some relics + very good rings and necks and platearmor. Though will have rogue alt with skinning+Mining to help iwth mats for my main.
    I was thinking about this also (espcially becouse you need a reputation for rank3 recipes which will be done fastest on the main) but becouse you will spend a lot of time on your main wandering around the word (suramar quests/daily, worldquests, ...) it seems to me like a waste to not have a gathering profession on main so you can just look at all the gathering nodes you will meet during your travels.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as just utility goes, Engineer is the only real option. You have glider and rocket belt, although the glider is highly situational and the nitro boost shares a CD with potions.

Professions aren't really so much about giving power anymore. You should just pick whatever you want and roll with it. I am Engi/JC because I like the perks that Engi has and I like being able to craft my own jewelery. BS/Mining/Enchanting are all fine choices.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

Deleted
    Inscription to write search warrants for light's hope chapel and get Tirion's corpse once and for all.
    Mining to make a tunnel under it when plan A fails.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutiltroska View Post
    I was thinking about this also (espcially becouse you need a reputation for rank3 recipes which will be done fastest on the main) but becouse you will spend a lot of time on your main wandering around the word (suramar quests/daily, worldquests, ...) it seems to me like a waste to not have a gathering profession on main so you can just look at all the gathering nodes you will meet during your travels.
    my main has BS/JC since i made so dont want to loose any off them, + il be playing rogue alt alot to gear it up for when raids open and to get artofact research started as soon i can on both chars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going Engi/Mining on my DK for now, ditched Alchemy

Honestly I have 2 copies of every profession and 3 BS + 4 Miners + 4 Scribes so I am relatively unconcerned about my gold/crafting situation.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixark View Post
    As far as just utility goes, Engineer is the only real option. You have glider and rocket belt, although the glider is highly situational and the nitro boost shares a CD with potions.

Professions aren't really so much about giving power anymore. You should just pick whatever you want and roll with it. I am Engi/JC because I like the perks that Engi has and I like being able to craft my own jewelery. BS/Mining/Enchanting are all fine choices.
    And do movement speed potions share a CD with dps potions?

I have had mining and engineering since forever.. Mining is by far the profession that makes me the most gold.. engineering comes in handy due to the teleport toys to northrend, outlands, kalimdor, pandaria and draenor (not so much) but still. Rocket boots, the parachut/glider and loot-a-rang are just all nice things to have atleast for me personally. And ofc the ability to make a sky golem for 100% profit once a month is just a nice bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burk23 View Post
    And do movement speed potions share a CD with dps potions?
    I'm sure they do. Used to not be the case for Engi though, that change was added with the loss of all combat enhancing professions.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    can you sell obliterum on the AH? What's the reason you're going with enchanting over blacksmithing? Better profit from selling enchants over armor on the AH? Or is there any other advantage Enchanting can give you?
    Oblit can be sold on the AH, but the ash can't. It takes 100 ash to make 1 Oblit.

I'm running BS/Mining so i can make my own gear. Will have Boon of the Harvester on my shoulders, the herbs from the shoulder enc will feed the herbs needed for me making top end haste food. I said this in another thread that is worth thinking about if you still torn on professions...

As a crafter i plan to make my non-tier slot BiS gear first, which is Wrist, Belt, and Boots. I will pick one based on what my current item is in said slots, then i will keep crafting then Obliterting what i craft till i get my perfect stat allocation which is Crit>Mastery once i get that i will use all the Obliterum from the previous ones to upgrade it. Then i will start working on the next slot, yeah i could go for Chest/Legs more stat points but I'm planning ahead Teir wise. Once i get the perfect stat alocation on all 3 is when i will start crafting Chest/Legs for the higher Obliterum yield per materials costs. If i happen to get a drop that is higher than 850 for that slot i will just store the crafted in the bank till Nighthold opens up so i can upgrade it past 850 to 875.

Deleted
    Going JC/Mining on my DK for now, ditched Insc