Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Do You Consider The Term 'Colored' Offensive?

Had an interesting cultural experience recently.

My current ladyfriend is a really amazing individual of mixed race. In my country of origin (South Africa) the official designation for this is 'colored'.

We had a good laugh over the weekend when this came up in conversation. Apparently it has a very...different meaning in the States, with some people taking it as a racial slur. I was warned to be very careful with this term.

Was news to me! Not that I'm going to go around boasting about my 'lovely colored lady' but still...probably need to keep this in mind around friends from stateside.

So yeah - is this a massively offensive term, or just outdated/unused?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.

Then again I'm of that rare breed that isn't butt hurt by every single term people throw out there.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Zero View Post

My current ladyfriend is a really amazing individual of mixed race. In my country of origin (South Africa) the official designation for this is 'colored'.

We had a good laugh over the weekend when this came up in conversation. Apparently it has a very...different meaning in the States, with some people taking it as a racial slur. I was warned to be very careful with this term.

Was news to me! Not that I'm going to go around boasting about my 'lovely colored lady' but still...probably need to keep this in mind around friends from stateside.

So yeah - is this a massively offensive term, or just outdated/unused?
    Black people don't like it. So no one uses it any more.

White people are never really sure why. Best for white people not to use the term and black people not to give white people a hard time if they do say it because they probably just don't know why the term is considered offensive.

7+ Year Old Account
    i think the word "coloured" comes from the slave trade times. in the uk, it seems only people over a certain age can use it without it being racist

Just outdated.

"African-American" is a bit...much. So I just use "black."

If someone thinks that's questionable I just rebut, "I'm black and proud of it. Should I not be?"

It depends what white, upper-middle class liberals think. Anything they deem offensive is offensive. They speak for all minorities.

No matter what word you use it can and will be considered offensive to someone somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No. But my opinion probably doesn't matter. It's the opinion of Liberal College Students and other crazies that matter these days.

Deleted
    Do you find the word "hello" offensive?

Interesting, you're recent Cultrural expereince that lead to the title of this thread is also an the title of an opinion piece on the front page of CNN.com

OT. Saying "People of Color" good. Referring to a black as "a colored" is not good.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-08-23 at 01:12 PM.

I was taught that it was, but people tend to use the term "of colour" lately so I'm not sure; I avoid using either.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Interesting, you're recent Cultrural expereince that lead to the title of this thread is also an the title of an opinion piece on the front page of CNN.com
    It...is? Just opened CNN and not seeing it.

Also: cultrural. That is an oddly awesome typo.
    Last edited by Lost Zero; 2016-08-23 at 01:23 PM.

In the states "colored" has the connotations associated with Segregration and Slavery. This tends towards it being somewhat offensive, particularly in the South where I live and segregation is still de facto. That said most of friends go with "black" rather than "african-american", since they feel closer to Caribbean and Southern roots than African.

In the U.S. it is indeed offensive. I have only heard it used by very old, (usually racist) individuals, or people from countries like South Africa, or India. I don't personally get offended as it usually reflects a level of ignorance by the person using it. If I think the person is open to discuss the issue I will start a dialog on why it may not be the best term use.

It...is? Just opened CNN and not seeing it.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/22/opinio...ter/index.html

It's on the left side, about 9 down.

Just called people whatever. Trying to figured what isn't and is offensive is pointlessly time consuming and as long as you are not shouting nigger odds are you are in the clear.

I always used negro myself colored just feels to broad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamacus View Post
    In the U.S. it is indeed offensive. I have only heard it used by very old, (usually racist) individuals, or people from countries like South Africa, or India. I don't personally get offended as it usually reflects a level of ignorance by the person using it. If I think the person is open to discuss the issue I will start a dialog on why it may not be the best term use.
    Fair enough. It's got a different meaning in SA though, as it's the official term for people of mixed race. But yeah, will definitely watch my usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Just outdated.

"African-American"
    is a bit...much. So I just use "black."

If someone thinks that's questionable I just rebut, "I'm black and proud of it. Should I not be?"
    I've always thought that to be really silly way to describe black people. What if he/she is neither African, nor American? Then what? Black for the convenience I'd say ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/22/opinio...ter/index.html

It's on the left side, about 9 down.
    Ha! You are correct, thanks. Just skimmed it.

Wow, it looks like this is a big deal stateside. I've heard 'people of color' (which has always seemed really unwieldly) and 'African American' which is odd to use for people who aren't from the states.

The offensive part probably comes from the segregation era in the American South, as that was the term used to designate the non-white facilities. As in the different drinking fountains would be labeled "White" and "Colored". It carries a certain residual negativity because of that.

On the other hand, I had a (white) co-worker get angry and then totally flustered with me last week when we were talking about politics and got on the black vote and I said something about the general black population and she angrily corrected me that it was "African-American" and I said "Maybe, but its black lives that matter."
    Look, if that's how they choose to refer to themselves then I'm going to use the terminology they prefer, I'm sorry if it offends your white sensibilities.