Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Here's the thing: I'm not a dick to disabled people -- but if I was, that only means I'm a dick to disabled people, that doesn't mean it should be illegal to be a dick to disabled people

I have a disabled friend with whom I make off-colour disabled jokes all the time - and he makes equally offensive remarks about me

It's just part of our bonding, but any external observer would find our language offensive, possibly abusive, even though it is quite the opposite

It is arbitrary and dangerous to take words off the table because some group, somewhere decides they are offensive -- especially when that group is a bunch of special snowflakes who look for things to be offended by because it makes them smug and satisfied they are "helping"
    Pretty much this.

It becomes even more arbitrary when you realize that no entire group is going to deem something like this as offensive. No single group of people think as a collective.

It's the reason why only white anchors are on TV are saying the "Team from Washington" while everyone else says the Redskins.

Context matters.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2016-08-23 at 10:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    It is telling that of the 43 people who have been president in the US only 1 has been Catholic.
    Wonderful example, because there is a follow up to that. JFK has been the first and only Catholic to be a US president. The fear centered around the pope, as his authority implied conflict of interest. This is why JFK did the famous "I am American first" speech. Interestingly enouph, one of the more bombastic self proclaimed patriots, has countered that speech in her book. Sarah Palin actually stated in her book that JFK was wrong and her religion comes first. Basically confirming the fear people had over Catholics, but getting cheered for it. Basically, the same fear why churches were burned down around 70 years ago, has been a platform of one of two major parties for the last 30.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I think colored is offensive because it doesn't convey any information- it's useless. Everyone is colored. Just call a duck a duck and try not to be a cunt about it.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.