Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbenchpress View Post
    Fire was literally the top spec in BRF and highly competitive in HFC once you got your Sandmans to 6/6. It was awful in Highmaul though, but Frost was a bit OP for everything in there.
    at this point i was refering mostly to pvp.

for pve the excessive rng in wod fire mage was a big downside for me. for pure gameplay it made a huge step in the right direction with legion.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fearer View Post
    even if fire mage is the strongest class at the moment, some class has to be. fire was shit in wod and so im more than happy that its so good right now. people complain about fire mage not complex or some shit, but they have never played another class as it seems. guys try ret or dk. every class right now is not that complex, but imo mages and rouges are at least hard to master, because you got so much outplay potentia in pvp.

stop watching r1 mages and try that shit yourself. it is much harder to pull of than most other classes.
    Fire became monster in late hfc
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    Fire became monster in late hfc
    as i said one comment before, i was not refering to dps in pve at all.

its ok seems like fire mage will suck now at high levels? that amount of less scaling seems like a big nerf

Fire
    Fire Mage critical strike chance has been increased by 5%.
    Critical Mass multiplier has been decreased to 1.1 (was 1.3).
    Developer's Note: We shifted some critical strike chance from a multiplier on gear to a flat bonus. This brings the value of critical strike for Fire closer to other stats and also limits the very high amounts of critical strike chance that can be reached with certain gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenoxar View Post
    Hi,

I've played Destruction lock (affli / demo @ certain fights) throughout whole HFC. In my opinion Destruction lock was a really hard to play spec. Just the fact that really big part of mythic players didn't play it correctly kind of confirms it. Difference between a very good lock and a good lock was huge. Destruction was kind of problematic spec because every add you didn't execute <20% HP was a DPS loss, it required a lot of target switching and planning out things. And not just planning out how to use CDs every 2mins but basically planning out... everything. If you failed on "irrelevant" stuff, you'd get punished hard in DPS meters.

Played a bit mm hunter before prepatch and I consider that spec as a complete joke, doesn't punish that much and well it was definitely easier.

Demonology lock in prepatch was even easier than mm hunter before. Also played assa and sub rogue in mythic environment and sub was already somewhat much harder to play compared to mm/demo/assa.

Also, just /heard/ that fire mage in WoD was difficult to play.

Anyway... sorry for boring you.

I'm looking for a solid and hard to play spec. Fire mage seems to be really good at... everything. From mobility, cheesing mechanics, solid ST, cleave, AoE and even survivability with artifact.

However, I am kind of afraid that Fire mage is relatively easy to play spec and thus boring, isn't it? Does it punish you really hard if you do a mistake in a rotation outside combustion? Is it easy to distinguish a pro mage from a good mage?
    As another warlock reroll, I can safely say that Fire is neither boring nor "too easy". Sure, it's missing the Shadowburn sniping Destro has (had?) but in the end sniping adds wasn't all that challenging after a while with a mouseover macro. I loved it, but it was cheese imo.

Fire is a reactive spec, so a rotation only exists during combustion and even then it differs in no way that any other planned opener, except that you get to repeat insane burst every~2 minutes. Also the clunkiness you might be used to from warlock specs just aren't here, this is probably why it feels weird right now; we are used to working too hard for little payoff. There's actual talent synergy (crazy, right?) with each spec and there's zero trash abilities in each spec's kit. Mobility is insane (coming from lock) and the best part: You don't need to change specs for every encounter, just a couple of talents here and there, to do your AoE or ST job within a group. In an expansion with a heavy focus on dumping all your power into a specific artifact, this is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by tithian View Post
    As another warlock reroll, I can safely say that Fire is neither boring nor "too easy". Sure, it's missing the Shadowburn sniping Destro has (had?) but in the end sniping adds wasn't all that challenging after a while with a mouseover macro. I loved it, but it was cheese imo.

Fire is a reactive spec, so a rotation only exists during combustion and even then it differs in no way that any other planned opener, except that you get to repeat insane burst every~2 minutes. Also the clunkiness you might be used to from warlock specs just aren't here, this is probably why it feels weird right now; we are used to working too hard for little payoff. There's actual talent synergy (crazy, right?) with each spec and there's zero trash abilities in each spec's kit. Mobility is insane (coming from lock) and the best part: You don't need to change specs for every encounter, just a couple of talents here and there, to do your AoE or ST job within a group. In an expansion with a heavy focus on dumping all your power into a specific artifact, this is huge.
    Are you just talking about Fire? Or just mages in general?

If not just fire, do you think all mage specs truly is that much better off the warlock?

I always love more people into the mage community, but a warlock re-roll makes me sad, there are so few of them already!

With that said, happy to have you here, interested to hear your thoughts on the other specs as well.

No downside , best dps , good tools for every situation , cant be considered as a really complex spec .... FOTM i guess

No spec is easy or hard. The content you do them with is what presents the challenge.
    You are describing something easy that you will do literally MILLIONS of time in Legion. If that challenge is insurmountable to you then you can't play this game.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowswann View Post
    No downside , best dps , good tools for every situation , cant be considered as a really complex spec .... FOTM i guess
    this is equal to

no comment, best troll, good try, cant be considered as an argument .... bla

i am right?

No spec is hard.

Fire just took a fairly big hit to crit. That will punish ppl that don't react to or plan procs properly. Plenty are developing poor habits with cast sequence macros that was heating up and hot streak procs as it is.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by fearer View Post
    this is equal to

no comment, best troll, good try, cant be considered as an argument .... bla

i am right?
    I have to admit Angry warlock there , but still everything in my post is true :/

Quote Originally Posted by Reachie10 View Post

If not just fire, do you think all mage specs truly is that much better off the warlock?

I always love more people into the mage community, but a warlock re-roll makes me sad, there are so few of them already!

With that said, happy to have you here, interested to hear your thoughts on the other specs as well.
    Fire is of course stellar, because as I said it can do a lot of things well. Semi-automatic AoE, decent talent options for ST/AoE/burst, good burst, good cooldowns. It is miles ahead of Destruction in complexity and involvement, which got extremely shallow with 7.0

Frost is actually my favorite spec, since the multitudes of procs make for more fun (imo) gameplay. But sadly it's lacking in AoE options compared to Fire, and since I'm mostly interested in group content I need solid AoE. Ironically, it has a talent to go petless, which was something locks also got (and loved) but it got gutted over multiple patches and now it's unusable.

Arcane I didn't try much, but from the few trials I had it seems like a a unique spec, with the focus on resource management. It reminds me of old Demonology, where you had to juggle Fury for your Metamorphosis.

Plus all three specs have solid mobility with Blink and Ice Floes (even the more stationary builds are insanely more mobile than locks), survivability is not all that bad, with Armor, Block, Nova, and utility with interrupts, portals, teleports. All these might seem pretty basic for mage players, but trust me it's features locks would kill to have.

Keep in mind that I've been maining warlock since Vanilla, and I have experienced the whole buff/nerf rollercoaster that were locks throughout the expansions. My rivalry with our guild mages was a thing for many years, and I never thought I'd ever roll a mage myself. But now all three lock specs are something I don't want to touch, and mage by comparison has great kit, great visuals, great damage and three viable specs. Also I'm not even touching DPS numbers here, traditionally warlocks do well numerically, they always have with one spec or another. But mechanically they are now a trainwreck.

Comparing the two classes; it's night and day.
    Last edited by tithian; 2016-08-23 at 08:52 PM.

Deleted
    What's up with all these ret puns? I'm too lazy to go to pala forum, but I'd like to know what's it about.

On topic I'd say fire is not too easy. It has off gcd based rotation like no other in the game. No matter how simple rotation, I think everyone will enjoy combustion pyro rop chaining even deep into the expansion. Only thing which could hinder this would be flame on nerf, but I guess that could be saved by more Phoenix casts.
    Last edited by mmoc84af5ad5d2; 2016-08-23 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I don't know about easy but it does everything too well.
    It has no weaknesses at all while also doing way more damage than most specs.

It should have it's damage nerfed down alot to compensate for it's ability to do... everything better than every other ranged class.
    So that it can have the ability to do nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    So that it can have the ability to do nothing?
    So that it would not be way, way better than any other class in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Fire just took a fairly big hit to crit. That will punish ppl that don't react to or plan procs properly. Plenty are developing poor habits with cast sequence macros that was heating up and hot streak procs as it is.
    Well people will continue to use that during combustion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reachie10 View Post

People reroll all the time to w.e class they believe is the FOTM. Its funnier when they go from one to another and back tho.

i don't understand where other people are finding the damage of fire. it's sometimes like my spells don't even hit, it's so strange.

i'm full 700 with a few 710s, i shouldn't be weak. but i just don't feel the power that everyone else says is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    So that it would not be way, way better than any other class in the game?
    Yet there is always a spec that is way way better than other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Yet there is always a spec that is way way better than other classes.
    No, there's not. Not this much better.
    We all get that one spec needs to be the best but fire mage does not have a single weakness and at the moment there is little reason to play any other spec.

Why pick arcane or frost when they have less movement, worse singel and aoe damag, worse survivability and so on. The whole idea behind the remake of pretty much every spec in Legion was so that every spec should have both strengths and weaknesses.