Deleted

Upgrade Help - GPU

Hi guys,

I've been saving for a while as I want to update my system. I'm not sure what will fit in my case/what GPU would be best, so I thought I would post here.

CPU: i5 2500k OC'd to 4.3ghz
    GPU: R9 270x
    Motherboard: MSI P67 gd65 (B3)
    RAM: Crucial DDR3 16GB 12800 (iirc)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430

I have a budget of around £150 but am willing to save. I was thinking of getting either the XFX RX460 core edition or the GTX 960. I wasn't sure if either of them would work with my old GPU. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Deleted
    I would definately be looking for a 2nd hand 970 or 390 over the 2 gpus you selected. If you don't like 2nd hand then buy the rx470 sapphire nitro oc+ only £180 and same performance as the rx480.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd definitely get the 470 as well, considering it's roughly only 20 pounds more expensive than the 960 with >50% better performance. It should be more than enough to max any game at 1080p.

The RX 460 is also an option assuming you aren't planning to do anything crazy, so it should work fine as a better budget option. What kind of games will you be playing?

Deleted
    I'll be playing The Witcher 3, Battlefront, Overwatch, some WoW etc. I'd definitely consider the 470; I've had some bad luck with second hand stuff before and feel like you end up just paying more in the long run.

Deleted
    I would probably look into the 470 as well.

I don't think the 460 or 960 would be enough of an upgrade to be worth the money. The 270x was a pretty good card.

Quote Originally Posted by royalblarg View Post
    I'll be playing The Witcher 3, Battlefront, Overwatch, some WoW etc. I'd definitely consider the 470; I've had some bad luck with second hand stuff before and feel like you end up just paying more in the long run.
    Yeah with the games you're playing I'd definitely look at a 470, most of what you're doing is fairly GPU reliant. Depending on your budget and how much you're willing to save I would atleast consider a gtx 1060 and the RX 480. However the 470 is definitely a good price point and power range for what you're doing.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot guys! I was wondering, do you know any good sites for ordering? I've been using Aria since 2009, but wondered if there was anywhere better.

Thanks a lot guys! I was wondering, do you know any good sites for ordering? I've been using Aria since 2009, but wondered if there was anywhere better.
    If you live in the US Newegg/Amazon otherwise I honestly don't know.

Deleted
    Without a doubt for almost all equipment I would use www.overclockers.co.uk .Probably the best returns policy (14 days no questions asked), cheapest on GPU's and I don't know if you use there forums probably the most active ones in the uk for computer talk and the support is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBojingles View Post
    Without a doubt for almost all equipment I would use www.overclockers.co.uk .Probably the best returns policy (14 days no questions asked), cheapest on GPU's and I don't know if you use there forums probably the most active ones in the uk for computer talk and the support is outstanding.
    I have to second the call for OCUK - great company and the forums can be really helpful.

Personally i have had great luck with buying second hand, although i understand why people might not like to. That 50/50 chance can be daunting. So if new is for you, the 470 would be a great choice.