Mount Speed Changes

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Hey everyone,

We know there's been some discussion around the Mount Speed changes that were seen in the Gamescom build. In case you are not aware, we have reduced Mount Movement Speed from 40% to 30%, and also adjusted a number of equivalent powers. These changes will be coming into the PTR next week, and we're excited to see how you guys feel after playing with them.

We wanted to give you guys some insight into why we are making this change, so Alex Neyman, one of our Game Designers, wrote the following:

“Heroes of the Storm is a team brawler, and we aren’t trying to change that. From all of our internal testing, this change had a minor (healthy) impact on the number of viable strategic options and interesting choices that players can make during a game.

With that being said, our goals with reducing mount speed are:
    Slowing down the 2-4 man early game gank squads on bigger maps
    • Hopefully this will allow prolonged 1v1 and 2v2 matchups when there are no battleground events up more often. You can still gank, it just won’t always be as effective, and therefore you’ll need to make harder decisions on whether it’s worth it or not.
    Making map-wide team positioning matter more
    • If you commit resources to a Mercenary camp at the top of the map, you might be later to a Tribute spawn on the bottom. This will encourage more interesting strategic choices, forcing you to choose which of the minor objectives (like Mercenaries or Minion waves) are important, or potentially split up your team to get multiple done at once and still reach a map event on time.
    Making recognition of the enemy team’s location on the map more significant
    • With slightly slower mounts, when an opponent disappears from view his radius of places he could potentially be is smaller, allowing more informed decisions. Which, ultimately, rewards better play and mastery of the game.

That’s briefly summarizing a few of the potential gains that slowing down mount Movement Speed should provide. It’s important to note that there are also downsides if we take it too far, but tuning Heroes’ capability to travel the map is an important part of balancing the game. Theoretically, saying “we’re reducing damage because we think burst is too high” doesn’t mean that we want to completely remove Assassin’s capability to kill someone. The same way, slowing down mounted movement speed slightly doesn’t mean that we don’t want you to quickly traverse the map. Just slightly slower! And we think that we’re getting closer to the perfect balance of the two.

Right now sticking together as 4 or 5 post level 10 is probably the correct decision 90% of the time. Our goal is to get this to maybe around 80%. Some concrete examples of the difference these mount changes make:
    • The time to run from Cursed Hollow’s top lane to bottom Tribute will be increased from 18.5 to 20 seconds while mounted, with a direct route.
    • The time to run from Sky Temple’s bottom lane to the top temple will be increased from 22 to 24 seconds while mounted, with a direct route.

To provide some insight into how we do design, sometimes we test extremes to see if the direction is even worth pursuing before settling on something that feels appropriately tuned. One such example was increasing the mounting cooldown from 4 seconds to 80 seconds, but the Movement Speed was increased from 40% to 80%. Ultimately we didn’t like the extreme change this made to Heroes of the Storm, but it make us think about where we were on the map more often. We really enjoyed that, so we wanted to bring a slightly tamer version of it to live.

We think that we’ll all still be enjoying those epic 5v5 brawls we’ve all come to love. We just might split up one or two more times between the big fights so that we can get all the minor objectives we’d like before the next big team event will start.”
    http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/20748844838

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I wonder how will this affect the likes of Rehgar and such, since he can have 40% currently with the lvl 1 talent.

Many movement speed traits/etc, have been reduced to reflect the change. For example, Rehgar and Falstad have been tuned to make sure they are in line with the alterations.

What about Brightwing and Dehaka? Even if you increase the cooldown, can they still teleport directly in from anywhere on the map?

In some cases, like Dehaka, there wasn't a change. He can still Brushstalk at the same rate of speed that we've all come to know. More details to come with the PTR, and you'll get to try out the changes for yourself.

The balance team took the time to dig through every interaction and make sure adjustments were made where needed. With that being said, if you do see something on the PTR that feels off, feel free to give us the feedback. We'll be keeping an eye out.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthe...hanges/d6v2ror

Deleted
    Hm, yeah, well...dont know about that. i watched some gamescom streams and the riding speed looked awfully slow. We will have to see how it fares when it goes live

HoS is shit come back to WoW

Quote Originally Posted by shamdunkk View Post
    HoS is shit come back to WoW
    Very different games, terrible advice. "Tetris is bad, come back to Halo."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mystile View Post
    very different games, terrible advice. "tetris is bad, come back to halo."
    qft .
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Stay on topic.

This will make calls and response times more important. Its a bigger time investment and potential loss now if you make the wrong call, or wait too long spending time on a task or objective when other things come calling.

Randoms will be more painful with people who take forever to respond to pings, but they never come in time anyway, so no bother.

how valuable will this make porting heroes though?

My scrub D3 self is always like a second late to anticipate the gank, so this should give me the extra time to not get killed hopefully.

From slow to slower. Maybe it's justified for the higher leveled stuff, but as a filthy casual I kinda hate it.

I honestly haven't noticed at all.

It's slightly noticeable for me, but I don't feel like I just slowed to a crawl or anything, either.