Poll: What does FF14 do better?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Picking one is nearly impossible. I voted for casual content because it's the one closest to my heart, although Legion has done pretty well so far with world quests.

- I can pop an automatic queue for nearly everything !
    I have no idea why Blizzard insists on making Normal+ raids non-queuable and LFR braindead and unrewarding. I like challenges, but here's the deal - I'm not very sociable and dislike forming/joining manual groups. I did A11 and A12 yesterday and that was some of the best fun I've had in a while with "LFR", while getting nice 250 loot too.

- "Timewalking" is activated by default. No idea why Blizzard doesn't do this as a permanent fixture like FFXIV does. I love being able to run all dungeons at 60 and help out lowbies with FATEs whlie still having it be relevant and not faceroll.

- The variety of glamour. It could do with being a lot more practical though. Just fuse the cool FFXIV skins with Legion's transmog system and it would be literally fucking perfect.

- Housing !

- Soundtrack of course, as mentioned by everyone else.

I can't really choose a single item from the list but instead I'd say aesthetics over all. It's a mix of visuals, sound and general class themes. As a black mage you're throwing out absolutely gigantic critical fire spells that look visually impressive and have a decent audio to go with it. As a summoner you're order a couple special pet attacks while maintaining dots and building up for a huge bahamut space laser. A warrior feels like an in your face giant meat shield who can dish out a good amount of damage while a paladin feels like a solid defensive wall who can cover and heal allies.

Boss arenas look great and are theme'd to the bosses well and even if I can't always get down with the music choices for each encounter they are very unique and the emphasis on creating atmosphere is there. Especially on phase changes when there's a huge visual, the arena itself changes, the boss transforms and the music ramps up to a more dramatic tone.

I've just started (Only level 10), but I just absolutely adore the profession system.

Its miles about Legion and any other MMO I've played. It feels like, if I chose to, I could really gear up to become a good crafter, which is awesome.

Well... I don't think that any thread which purposely tries to compare two games is going to be very productive.

Also, shouldn't the poll be of the "choose many" variety? If I had to choose one I guess I'd go with story. Or maybe patch cycles. One of those two.

Although I think it does almost everything on that list better. Except PVP which it does way worse at.

Visuals and Sound are too subjective to call one better (I understand everything is subjective), and they're both too "flashy" for my tastes, but visuals (don't remember sound) were too flashy in wow for my taste too.
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2016-10-11 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I've just started (Only level 10), but I just absolutely adore the profession system.

Its miles about Legion and any other MMO I've played. It feels like, if I chose to, I could really gear up to become a good crafter, which is awesome.
    Crafting and gathering in FF14 have their own progression system and max level crafting is an end game of it's own. One of the more satisfying things I've done in the game is get to where I can craft the newest gear that recently came out, and unless you have a lot of friends or FC/guild folks feeding you mats and/or money, it's gonna take some time to climb the ladder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    Well... I don't think that any thread which purposely tries to compare two games is going to be very productive.

Also, shouldn't the poll be of the "choose many" variety? If I had to choose one I guess I'd go with story. Or maybe patch cycles. One of those two.

Although I think it does almost everything on that list better. Except PVP which it does way worse at.

Visuals and Sound are too subjective to call one better (I understand everything is subjective), and they're both too "flashy" for my tastes, but visuals (don't remember sound) were too flashy in wow for my taste too.
    The OP specifically stated this comparison is against "any other MMO" and isn't limited to just WoW.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boss battles

The actual battles feel like Simon sez, but the presentation sets it apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzaaC-kOJGg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_jUOel9BuQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x42HEEMJc5U
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Picked sound. I feel that no other MMO really comes close at all to the aural mastery this game displays. The story while good, isn't inherently that much better than any others out there.

Been avidly playing BNS lately, and while it too has a nice soundtrack, it's not nearly as good as FF14s. The story though, while not as good as FF14's is pretty close.
    How do you even play BnS. I tried to love it, but I hit max level (45 at the time} grinded out the other 5 HM levels then all it the endgame content revolved around the same dailies every single day. Got really boring after a while.

I did really enjoy leveling though tbh. If the game wasnt a grindfest Id easily still be playing 100%. Its a korean MMO so cant really expect much else but I really did enjoy the customization in that game. Felt like it was the only other MMO out there that got the armor customization (different weapons, skins, etc} right aside from WoW.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Professions. Mini-games. Story. Visuals.

About it really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post

That in part is true, though max level crafting is extremely grindy and fairly brutal if you don't at least have a bunch of friends with other high level professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    That in part is true, though max level crafting is extremely grindy and fairly brutal if you don't at least have a bunch of friends with other high level professions.
    Grindy, yes; being a full-on omnicrafter isn't something one can do overnight. I started crafting a few weeks into patch 3.2 (so some point in April) and it was after 3.3 arrived that I finally had all crafters at 60...then it can take almost the same amount of time to go from basic level 60 gear to the good stuff, unless your pockets are bursting with gil.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    How do you even play BnS. I tried to love it, but I hit max level (45 at the time} grinded out the other 5 HM levels then all it the endgame content revolved around the same dailies every single day. Got really boring after a while.

I did really enjoy leveling though tbh. If the game wasnt a grindfest Id easily still be playing 100%. Its a korean MMO so cant really expect much else but I really did enjoy the customization in that game. Felt like it was the only other MMO out there that got the armor customization (different weapons, skins, etc} right aside from WoW.
    I'm on break right now from it, playing Legion. The trick to BNS is to actually do different content when you want a change of pace. This helps because I am a huge PVP advocate just as much of a PVE one.

I.e. I'll save up tokens for ToI (basically pvp scripted pve encounters). They're insanely frustrating and challenging. I'll do that like one day, another day I'll focus on the daily challenge and a gamut of PVE dungeons, I'll do pvp another day, WWV, etc. I'll spend some time farming in SSP another day, or I'll do a day of farming XP via normal quests.

However, is it so much different than what you do at endgame in FF14? I mean if you're not leveling alts, what are you doing in game? You're running the same EXs you've ran countless times, or Alex to get a part you need multiple times, repeating the same beast tribe dailies, etc.

Honestly it's the same. The thing for me though was the combat was so much more visceral that even boring fights I had on farm were still fun, unlike doing some braindead content in FF14 (dungeons notably, Alex normal, etc.).

I'm on break right now from it, playing Legion. The trick to BNS is to actually do different content when you want a change of pace. This helps because I am a huge PVP advocate just as much of a PVE one.

I.e. I'll save up tokens for ToI (basically pvp scripted pve encounters). They're insanely frustrating and challenging. I'll do that like one day, another day I'll focus on the daily challenge and a gamut of PVE dungeons, I'll do pvp another day, WWV, etc. I'll spend some time farming in SSP another day, or I'll do a day of farming XP via normal quests.

However, is it so much different than what you do at endgame in FF14? I mean if you're not leveling alts, what are you doing in game? You're running the same EXs you've ran countless times, or Alex to get a part you need multiple times, repeating the same beast tribe dailies, etc.

Honestly it's the same. The thing for me though was the combat was so much more visceral that even boring fights I had on farm were still fun, unlike doing some braindead content in FF14 (dungeons notably, Alex normal, etc.).
    I feel you and I loved the pvp scripted pve encounters but I beat all of mushins tower that was released and ranked gold in 3v3. I also ran the dungeons that were released at the time for max level which were fun for a while. It is the same though, that's why I feel like it's so easy to burnout on every MMO. It's just that BnS had way too many dailies to do everyday if you wanted to stay current. If you were 5 HM levels behind or even 3 you had less talents than anyone who was HM 5. Which would be fine if the grind to HM 5 wasn't as ridiculous as doing the same 12 or so dailies everyday.

I loved the combat system. Although I had a lot of auto cancelling to do as a berserker but that made things interesting imo. Aside from that the grind was just too ridiculous to keep up with and after I grinded to HM 5 I really didn't want to do that over again at level 50.

I feel you and I loved the pvp scripted pve encounters but I beat all of mushins tower that was released and ranked gold in 3v3. I also ran the dungeons that were released at the time for max level which were fun for a while. It is the same though, that's why I feel like it's so easy to burnout on every MMO. It's just that BnS had way too many dailies to do everyday if you wanted to stay current. If you were 5 HM levels behind or even 3 you had less talents than anyone who was HM 5. Which would be fine if the grind to HM 5 wasn't as ridiculous as doing the same 12 or so dailies everyday.

I loved the combat system. Although I had a lot of auto cancelling to do as a berserker but that made things interesting imo. Aside from that the grind was just too ridiculous to keep up with and after I grinded to HM 5 I really didn't want to do that over again at level 50.
    I almost started to fall for this trap in legion (despite handling it well in BNS). I don't have to do every single world quest every day. I don't have to do every single mythic dungeon every week, and I don't need to join every single mythic + I see. There is way more content than I could possibly want to do in a day despite it all being "mandatory". I keep having to stop myself.

I'm not "out of the curve" by not doing everything, but it is true i'm not cutting edge either. I don't feel gimped at all.
    I just set goals and do the content I feel like doing that particularly day.

It's made MMOs much more fun than they were chorish in the past.

As far as BNS goes I've been perpetually behind the curve compared to my clanmates. I was 450 ap when they were 550. I was 550, when they were 625, I was 600 when they were 670+ and so on. It's never stopped me from being a top 50 pvp'er, a top 50 ToI, or being able to top DPS meters in 4m dungeons measured by either in game or ACT. I was also on average 2 HM levels behind. I was HM 8 when they were 10. I was 10 when they were 11-12.

I almost started to fall for this trap in legion (despite handling it well in BNS). I don't have to do every single world quest every day. I don't have to do every single mythic dungeon every week, and I don't need to join every single mythic + I see. There is way more content than I could possibly want to do in a day despite it all being "mandatory". I keep having to stop myself.

I'm not "out of the curve" by not doing everything, but it is true i'm not cutting edge either. I don't feel gimped at all.
    I just set goals and do the content I feel like doing that particularly day.

It's made MMOs much more fun than they were chorish in the past.

As far as BNS goes I've been perpetually behind the curve compared to my clanmates. I was 450 ap when they were 550. I was 550, when they were 625, I was 600 when they were 670+ and so on. It's never stopped me from being a top 50 pvp'er, a top 50 ToI, or being able to top DPS meters in 4m dungeons measured by either in game or ACT. I was also on average 2 HM levels behind. I was HM 8 when they were 10. I was 10 when they were 11-12.
    I feel you mate, I do. And I play that way in legion. I'm not spam grinding AP everyday, I got the traits I needed/wanted and started to relax.

With BnS though it felt a bit different because certain talents that you could unlock (at least as a destroyer) made a huge impact on anti cancelling. It affected how much you do it, how much you shouldn't or should, how hard it hits if you do it right, etc.

Oh and that's another thing I really did like. The combat was so fun. Comboing abilities just felt so good. As a destroyer there's a ton of anti cancelling going on but when you landed a combo it felt so nice. I loved the combo shit, was really fluid and fun.

It's not just the grind that killed it for me though. If BnS was the only game I played I could probably deal with it. It's the fact all the dailies are basically the exact same every week. Never changed. Once I hit max level (45 at the time) and grinded out HM 5 I was really bored with the dailies since it was the exact same shit I did to get to HM 5. Not sure if it stayed this way but at the time I was playing there was about 12 or so dailies to grind and they were the same each day.

Everything else was really awesome though. I loved the dungeons especially temple. I ran that shit for the outfit everyday. Never got boring imo. I loved the que system as well.

It's not just the grind that killed it for me though. If BnS was the only game I played I could probably deal with it. It's the fact all the dailies are basically the exact same every week. Never changed. Once I hit max level (45 at the time) and grinded out HM 5 I was really bored with the dailies since it was the exact same shit I did to get to HM 5. Not sure if it stayed this way but at the time I was playing there was about 12 or so dailies to grind and they were the same each day.

Everything else was really awesome though. I loved the dungeons especially temple. I ran that shit for the outfit everyday. Never got boring imo. I loved the que system as well.
    I played an Assassin so I feel you on the ani-cancelling/combo nature. I even macro and I'm not ashamed. Fuck repetitive stress injury. No game is worth that, I'd rather get banned then injure myself. Note: Have never been banned, used ACT and Razer Synapse since 45 cap.

I'm still not sure 100% sure what dailies you're specifically talking about. I am "assuming" you mean the dungeon/24M dailies. In which case you'd have E. Fleet 4-5 Quests, NSH 3-4, 4-6M Poh is 1, 4-6M BSH is another 1, and then 4-6M Naryu Lab.

Running those everyday can certainly get tiring, especially when the 24M version is basically the same as the 4-6M version so it feels like you're doing them twice every day.

In the current content you have - Yeti, Necro, Lair, Soguns, Nexus, Mandate, Storage, Gloom, Masts, Tomb, and in a few days the next dungeon Citadel comes out. Each one of these dungeons provide loot you can use, but some are much more valuable then others. Typically endgame players will spam whatever has the highest profit (which is usually the newest dungeon due to skillbooks etc.). If you tried to do all of these every day you'd burnout for sure. Gotta pick and choose what is important to you on any given day, kinda like I mentioned above.

Now the 24ms are completely seperate from the dungeons, but as a result they don't feel as well designed, generally very bland. They however provide very nice XP rewards.

Then you have Tower of Infinity (it's like an arena match against increasingly powerful AI enemies). They fight you like a PvP opponent would, they tab escape, they combo, they on react counter half your shit, they get legendary resets etc.

Mushins tower goes to Floor 15 now. Naksun, is a beast, but once you learn him (will take lots of wipes) he's actually kind of fun to fight. I love how this game can make 1v1 pve counters challenging and fun. No other MMO has been able to do that yet.

Earning HM skills is probably one of the most fun aspects of the game. It makes the carrot on a stick feel fun, because upgrading gear really isn't in this game (I have more fun with soulshields IMO).

15+ Year Old Account
    Story. Soundtrack. Graphics (Cause lets face it, the more beautiful the MMO, the longer i'll play it, considering the areas most end-game grinds are at can be very bland.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Really tough to choose just one. Picked solo content, not many games have as much to do for solo play on a single character. Story would've been my choice, but I just skimmed the choices lol.

Soundtrack is solid, story is superb, solo/casual content is pretty solid (though admittedly a chunk of it is grinding up other class/jobs and disciplines of hand/land). I haven't had a chance to try out pvp to give my opinions on it, but I think it would be hard to beat GW2 or even WoW. Group content is pretty entertaining, but I don't think it's in the hardcore category outside of MAYBE savage, but that's mostly tuning rather than mechanics. Visuals are pretty great, I'd say average for squeenix. Patch cycles can take a little long, but definitely a satisfying time frame, imo. Overall a very solid MMO experience.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

10+ Year Old Account
    dealing with altoholics like me? granted i don't play Adaline Smith anymore, had everything maxed pre Heavensward, loved the proffessions as well, storyline was amazing...music though takes the cake, since alts(one char can be all) isn't up there.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Music no question. GW2 is good, WoW is very good but FFXIV is pulling from 30 years of some of the best music videogames have ever put out. Its original scores are fantastic but with all of the covers and rerecordings of past FF tracks? there is absolutely no contest. It would be like one assassins creed game OST against the complete Metal Gear discography. Theres no MMORPG soundtrack that comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Boss battles

The actual battles feel like Simon sez, but the presentation sets it apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzaaC-kOJGg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_jUOel9BuQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x42HEEMJc5U
    Better than I stare at bar filling up and voice over to tell me what to do next 5 sec.

Everything except PVP