Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Three accused of blowing up turtle with firecrackers

Source

Northern Lancaster County, Pennsylvania Police charged three people for killing a large turtle by blowing it up with firecrackers. It happened just before 7pm on August 3 in Penn Township. Police were called for a reported explosion.

Arriving officers found a small crater with what appeared to be pieces of bone fragments, biological membrane and the remains of a large turtle in the same area. Witnesses were able to provide suspect descriptions and the description of the truck they were in at the time of the explosion. Through further investigation, police were able to identify three individuals that were alleged to have placed two M-80 firecrackers on the shell of the turtle, subsequently lighting the fuse, causing severe trauma to the turtle from the explosion, killing the reptile.

According to police, the suspects fled the area. Witnesses from the scene gave police a truck description and possible registration number. Police used this information to find the suspects.

The suspects are Taylor James Geib, 21, Austin Mathew Garner, 21, and a 17-year-old boy. Charges of criminal conspiracy; Prohibited Offensive weapons were filed before MDJ Edward Tobin and through Lancaster County Juvenile Probation. They said to police they used duct tape to strap the explosives to the turtle.

Forgotten Friends Reptile Sanctuary owner Jesse Rothacker couldn't believe someone would do this to a turtle.

"When you strap explosives to an animal and blow them up, that's just something that we should not accept in our society," he said.

According to Pennsylvania law, animal cruelty covers domesticated animals. Turtles are not considered domesticated. Rothacker said the law needs to be changed.

"If the laws don't reflect that it's animal cruelty, we need to change the laws and make sure people know that is animal cruelty," he said.
    WOW that's pretty messed up, it had to be an illegal mount of explosives to do that!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Had a guy near where I live get tired of his cat peeing in his shoes, so he duct taped a stick of dynamite on the cat, lit it, and threw the cat on his potato field.

Jokes on him though, as the cat ran straight into his newly built barn.
    I heard of that one, but with mice and being set on fire.

Sounds like something little boys would do. Little boys are vicious when traveling in packs.

For twenty somethings? My guess is alcohol was involved.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Wish they all pulled a JPP and blew-up their own hand

Had a guy near where I live get tired of his cat peeing in his shoes, so he duct taped a stick of dynamite on the cat, lit it, and threw the cat on his potato field.

Jokes on him though, as the cat ran straight into his newly built barn.
    Is that a joke or did that really happen?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Is that a joke or did that really happen?
    Urban legend
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Urban legend
    Plus, even for a hillbilly, throwing dynamite into your field is a good way to blow up your crop / start a fire.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Sounds like some serial killers, better do something about those psychopaths.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, that is kind of mean. Why a turtle, though?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Sounds like some serial killers, better do something about those psychopaths.
    Just very bored kids. This happens a lot. (usualy to cats or dogs)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Turtle Power........ bbboooommmmm.

Too early????

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Actually it does not happen as much as you think
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

No it doesn't.

Bullshit, those aren't "just kids", they're animals who need to be contained.

Please stop with the "boys will be boys" rubbish. I've known from a much younger age not to do this kind of shit.

WOW that's pretty messed up, it had to be an illegal mount of explosives to do that!
    This is pretty hilarious coming from someone who uses glue traps on mice (that cause a lot of unnecessary suffering, they're known as torture traps for a good reason). Not that I'm defending them, but at least the turtles would have died relatively instantly as opposed to pulling their face off or breaking/gnawing off limbs to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Please stop with the "boys will be boys" rubbish. I've known from a much younger age not to do this kind of shit.

This is pretty hilarious coming from someone who uses glue traps on mice (that cause a lot of unnecessary suffering, they're known as torture traps for a good reason).
    Glue traps is the same as blowing up turtles, LOL OK.

hillbillies .
    They prefer to be called Appalachian Americans. Stop using hurtful racial slurs

Glue traps is the same as blowing up turtles, LOL OK.
    You're right. It's not the same.

When it comes to animal cruelty, a glue trap is worse. Far worse.

So calling this messed up is all sorts of hypocritical, coming from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    You're right. It's not the same.

When it comes to animal cruelty, a glue trap is worse. Far worse.

So calling this messed up is all sorts of hypocritical, coming from you.
    Well that's you're opinion, at least the law sides with me for the moment, so if I ever have a mice problem again I'll buy some more.

Someone's been watching too much Breaking Bad, I guess..

Unfortunatelly this time they were a bit too far from the turtle.. >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!