Which GPU would be ideal for 1440p and 144 fps?

I recently upgraded most parts of my PC (it's basically entirely new except for the HDD/SSD), but I didn't get a new GPU at that time because I wanted to wait for this generation. (Still rocking a 770, but it's not able to keep up with todays games)

So, basically, I want to upgrade to a new GPU that's capable of handling 1440p @ 144fps. If there's room for more, that would be cool too, as in, I don't want a GPU that can handle it, but only barely.

I know the 1070 can handle 1440p, but most likely only at 60fps. What about the 1080 and the new Titan X? I guess the Titan would be overkill except if I wanted to play 4k VR? Budget isn't that much of a problem, but I'd rather not pay more than needed.

So, any suggestions?

Just get a 1080 should ace 1440P depending on what game you're playing IE Witcher 3 you probably won't be maxing it out at 144FPS. If you're feeling like burning your money get 2 1080s (be warned SLI is sketchy at best sometimes games don't even support it) depends on what you're playing tho. Which leads me to... what kind of games mainly are you planning to play (aside from VR). But I'd probably start off with 1 1080 and see how it performs the only real upgrade path from that is another 1080. 2 TitanXs is unrealistic.
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-08-26 at 12:01 PM.

I would advise getting a GTX 1080 but you wont get 144 fps on everything at 1440p see here http://www.techspot.com/review/1182-...070/page2.html

If you want to drop some setting you might get close though, titan pascal is too expensive to be worth it imo and SLI usually has some issues you may want to avoid.

Also @Mythbredor, 1440p is not 2k 1080p is (1920x1080 the 1920 is what the 2k references too)

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Just get a 1080 should ace 1440P depending on what game you're playing IE Witcher 3 you probably won't be maxing it out at 144FPS. If you're feeling like burning your money get 2 1080s (be warned SLI is sketchy at best sometimes games don't even support it) depends on what you're playing tho. Which leads me to... what kind of games mainly are you planning to play (aside from VR). But I'd probably start off with 1 1080 and see how it performs the only real upgrade path from that is another 1080. 2 TitanXs is unrealistic.
    Yeah, games like The Witcher 3, BF1, those usual AAA. Had to play W3 one at medium @ 40 fps.
    Is it even worth it to go 1440@144? Maybe 1080@144 would be enough for starters? Dunno. Or 1440@60? Most of the times until now I was behind a generation and could never max out any games with stable fps, so that's something I want to change this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I would advise getting a GTX 1080 but you wont get 144 fps on everything at 1440p see here http://www.techspot.com/review/1182-...070/page2.html

If you want to drop some setting you might get close though, titan pascal is too expensive to be worth it imo and SLI usually has some issues you may want to avoid.
    Techspot seems to be comparing them to the old Titan X, how does the new one compare to the 1080? I know it might be quite expensive, although if I can avoid to swap it for a longer time then it's worth it I guess.

SLI is definitely something I don't want to do.

1440p and 144hz is fine just be aware you won't be able to run ALL games at 144FPS with maxed out settings. For WoW and Overwatch it'll be good. You can still *probably* max most games out at 60 fps on 1440p. I honestly don't recommend the TitanX as a consumer gaming card. However I don't know that much about it. In the past the TitanX's have been extremely good cards for a high price point. But you could beat it out for the same *almost same* price by running SLI, 2 card SLI is fairly supported in most modern AAA games the ones where you'll need that extra performance. But it's up to you in the end.
    But it all depends on what games you're planning to play mainly. If you play alot of FPSes 144hz ALL day. If you play RPGS 1440p-60hz. If you play alot of different genres of games I still say 1440p-144hz even if you can't maintain that high FPS it's still there for the games you CAN maintain it, and you can lower the refresh rate of your monitor via display settings (not always a good idea tho) like for me if I lower my refresh rate it washes my monitors color out.

What's got you irked on running SLI?

If I were to get 2 1080s I'd probably need to get another PSU aswell (I have the Corsair 750RM) and even without, it'd already be more expensive than a Titan X. The 1080s go for like 730+€ where I live (which is like 820$), so almost 1500€ for both vs a 1100-1200€ Titan X. Also if SLI is not supported, the other GPU is mostly just wasted. Yes, maybe most AAA support it, but what if not? Dunno, it's just something I'm not really comfortable with.

And yes, FPSs are something I usually play aswell, so I guess that means 144hz rather than 60