Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    Mainly I’ve seen a lot of ‘OMG, I’ve suffered so much –I am pain incarnate, woe is me’ or ‘I must pull the legs off this spider because its’ there and I hate all living things’. I see a lot of the same thing with DKs but that’s another story.

One of my chief complaints of people who RP ‘edgy’ characters is that for some people it’s an excuse to be outright rude at every possible opportunity or an excuse for excessive cruelty. Both of which are off putting when it comes to random RP.

To my mind, a demon hunter should be able to ‘function’ within society –they were already used to fighting within a structured group and following orders. Yes they would take pleasure in fighting demons and their ‘enemies’ but there is a middle ground, I don’t see them as all being the lone wolf types –calculating and conniving, yes but not eyeing up their allies for the next kill.
    Right now I see mine as mostly withdrawn and sullen. Like he's looking in the windows at the warm happy scene but has trouble relating. He's not rude... just taking time to adjust. Besides... Legion. He's got more important stuff on his mind than socializing.

You might see Bruce Wayne mixing it up at social events, but Batman? Right now I'm stuck on Batman.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Mainly I’ve seen a lot of ‘OMG, I’ve suffered so much –I am pain incarnate, woe is me’ or ‘I must pull the legs off this spider because its’ there and I hate all living things’. I see a lot of the same thing with DKs but that’s another story.

One of my chief complaints of people who RP ‘edgy’ characters is that for some people it’s an excuse to be outright rude at every possible opportunity or an excuse for excessive cruelty. Both of which are off putting when it comes to random RP.

To my mind, a demon hunter should be able to ‘function’ within society –they were already used to fighting within a structured group and following orders. Yes they would take pleasure in fighting demons and their ‘enemies’ but there is a middle ground, I don’t see them as all being the lone wolf types –calculating and conniving, yes but not eyeing up their allies for the next kill.
    It actuall makes sense for death knights, as far as lore goes they are addicted to inflicting pain on others, not so much demon hunters, thats just being edgy for the sake of it.

Haha happens in real life too, someone suffers and cant understand that others also experience pain so they just assume they are the only ones who have ever felt anything.

I actually disagree there, demon hunters were almost like rabid zealots for illidan, they use their superior physical capabilities to fight the demons, they didnt really organize the way they fought, i dont even think they understand or would even trust eachother, most are living on the razor edge of sanity as it is, they used illidan as their messiah, i imagine them as volatile supersoldiers, they were created out of desperation, they are an ugly experiment to be frank... they follow orders, sure, but i would definitely see them as outcasts, especially considering that in most societies warlocks are treated as outcasts, so i think its a massive stretch to imagine them strolling happily down the street, people would walk over to the other side of the road for sure!

On a side note - SO many good posts here, but no one has thoughts on the thread I started regarding names for DH? Dating back to WCIII? I figured if anyone would care about finding appropriate names, as well as deciding where they came from, I'd find them in the RP forums.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    Right now I see mine as mostly withdrawn and sullen. Like he's looking in the windows at the warm happy scene but has trouble relating. He's not rude... just taking time to adjust. Besides... Legion. He's got more important stuff on his mind than socializing.

You might see Bruce Wayne mixing it up at social events, but Batman? Right now I'm stuck on Batman.
    I think an interesting angle would be a demon hunter losing hope and forgetting why he kills demons in the first place, slowly feeling more kinship with the demons he kills than those he fights to protect, and having to steadfastly resist the urge to give in to the legion knowing how powerful they are and how many worlds they span, then forcing himself to socialize and fit in to rekindle that hope, leading to an awkward as fuck situation where this tatood half demon freak is trying to talk to his allies about the weather and just general office banter, or maybe adopting a pet cat or something to help him cope with his inner demons lol

I really think there is a ton of fun you can have with demonhunters if you do it right, and as annoying as it would be to have a thousand super srs edgelords running amok, it would probably be just as bad having a bunch of demon hunter clowns just ignoring the lore and purposefully forcing other character archetypes just to be different. Edgelord is probably a really good starting point, but a character is more than just where they start.

Seriously though, imagine some buff scaly half demon talking to you in a deep gravelly voice about mittens, his pet cat that he got from that nice lady outside stormwind, and how it helps him cope with dealing with the knowledge of impending doom, and how he just loves that little furball to bits. Not many people get me, but Donni Anthania gets me
    Last edited by bloodmoth13; 2016-08-30 at 10:32 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    I suppose Roleplayers need to open themselves up to the idea that not everyone who suffers turns into a brooding angsty fella with a huge chip on their shoulder, hell in most cases people hide their pain and act normally, the telltale signs are actually really subtle.
    THIS ^^

I don’t mind the ‘brooding type’ who is trying to integrate themselves back into society like your batman analogy. I think what bugs me is those who give very little thought to subtlety. I’m generalising but I see people overplaying the unstable component somewhat. You can be an angsty demon hunter, but it’s OK to say ‘No thanks, I don’t want a sandwich’ instead of ‘I don’t want a fucking sandwich, the fel energy I have consumed is enough to sustain me –get out of my sight inferior being’.

I main a racist Night Elf, when dealing with other races she is polite and formal –with her own people and those she has gotten to know, she is warm and friendly. I remember being in the Shrine a few years ago and a DK role player took a dislike to the sparkles he saw coming from me (glyph of stars). It was a pretty funny encounter and I ended up giving him some chocolate cake to cheer him up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    On a side note - SO many good posts here, but no one has thoughts on the thread I started regarding names for DH? Dating back to WCIII? I figured if anyone would care about finding appropriate names, as well as deciding where they came from, I'd find them in the RP forums.
    Mine was simply named "Nyssa" because that's my rogue's name from TBC.
    Full name: Used to be Nyssa Duskblade, until she and her sister realized later that they were adopted by (the adopting father is an actual character who I RP with), and that they are actually Dawnseekers. So that makes her Nyssa Dawnseeker.
    Inspiration of the name: Nyssa Al Ghul from DC. I was a huge fan ever since her debut in 2003, and she is one of the compelling characters on TV at the moment.

THIS ^^

I don’t mind the ‘brooding type’ who is trying to integrate themselves back into society like your batman analogy. I think what bugs me is those who give very little thought to subtlety. I’m generalising but I see people overplaying the unstable component somewhat. You can be an angsty demon hunter, but it’s OK to say ‘No thanks, I don’t want a sandwich’ instead of ‘I don’t want a fucking sandwich, the fel energy I have consumed is enough to sustain me –get out of my sight inferior being’.

I main a racist Night Elf, when dealing with other races she is polite and formal –with her own people and those she has gotten to know, she is warm and friendly. I remember being in the Shrine a few years ago and a DK role player took a dislike to the sparkles he saw coming from me (glyph of stars). It was a pretty funny encounter and I ended up giving him some chocolate cake to cheer him up.
    Thats a good point if your playing a night elf supremacist, outright bursting out YOUR RACE IS INFERIOR!!! is much too heavy handed, a more tangible representation would be small slights like a disapproving Hmm when they state something or just acting on confirmation bias, "didnt expect much there" or "Im impressed you can mount that horse" and so on, if you can do a slight even more subtle than that even better.

I must say i do much prefer my night elves as complete isolationists, the more racist the better, they were more interesting when they were snobs IMO (Having lifespans of 10,000 years would do that to ya

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    (OT) I would love to see the Night Elves form their own faction!

Going back to the OP, those that I’ve seen RPing a Demon Hunter seem to think it’s a requirement to be angsty , it’s a common trait –as is madness but not a prerequisite. In the same way that a lot of Night Elves are racist –it’s not a precursor and it’s not necessary to bring it to the forefront of every interaction.

Deleted
    and it’s not necessary to bring it to the forefront of every interaction
    DING DING DIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Yep, was waiting for this. Those were the ones I mentioned for the most part in the OP. We get it, your Shadow the Hedgehog toy was taken from you (as Arrashi puts it ). Must I always suffer your anger as a result even in day to day interaction?

I mean, on my server it's common to RP with Reese Langston (the manager of Pig & Whistle); people like to interact with him and I find that endearing. This night elf demon hunter though... He was actually yelling at Reese to "give him his goddamn drink because he has waited for it long enough in suffering", or something. I felt too embarrassed I decided to stop RPing for the night and level an alt.

Another thing my aforementioned huntress seems to get is ALOT of offers by fellow demon hunters AND other roleplayers alike to be bed with. I don't understand why! Is it the tattoos? The horns? What exactly?

The only requirement for an Illidari Demon Hunter, is in every conversation you have to work in a "I've sacrificed EVERYTHING, what have YOU done?" at least once.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojaha View Post
    The only requirement for an Illidari Demon Hunter, is in every conversation you have to work in a "I've sacrificed EVERYTHING, what have YOU done?" at least once.
    The only requirement for a forums troll is to make a new account with a post count of 1 and say something completely useless. :V

Looks like you are successful in your endeavor so I hope the demon hunter roleplayers follow your suit!

(No hard feeling! Just messing with you.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    The only requirement for a forums troll is to make a new account with a post count of 1 and say something completely useless. :V

Looks like you are successful in your endeavor so I hope the demon hunter roleplayers follow your suit!

Sorry for making a joke. Its my first time posting on these forums. Everyone has to start somewhere, sometime.

I didn't know you were the dictator of posting, in addition to being the dictator of RP.

Illidan was not really an Edgelord in Warcraft 3 either. He was... kind of normal. Pretty irritated with his people for imprisoning him, but he truely cared for Tyrande and wanted peace with his brother after everything. He seemed like an okay-fellow. The situations we see him in in Warcraft are few and kind of... have to render him dead serious. A Demon-Hunter obviously can still be very caring tho and still very much desire his people to "like" them.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojaha View Post
    Sorry for making a joke. Its my first time posting on these forums. Everyone has to start somewhere, sometime.

I didn't know you were the dictator of posting, in addition to being the dictator of RP.

None taken even without the last remark! Welcome aboard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    I think an interesting angle would be a demon hunter losing hope and forgetting why he kills demons in the first place, slowly feeling more kinship with the demons he kills than those he fights to protect, and having to steadfastly resist the urge to give in to the legion knowing how powerful they are and how many worlds they span, then forcing himself to socialize and fit in to rekindle that hope, leading to an awkward as fuck situation where this tatood half demon freak is trying to talk to his allies about the weather and just general office banter, or maybe adopting a pet cat or something to help him cope with his inner demons lol

I really think there is a ton of fun you can have with demonhunters if you do it right, and as annoying as it would be to have a thousand super srs edgelords running amok, it would probably be just as bad having a bunch of demon hunter clowns just ignoring the lore and purposefully forcing other character archetypes just to be different. Edgelord is probably a really good starting point, but a character is more than just where they start.

Seriously though, imagine some buff scaly half demon talking to you in a deep gravelly voice about mittens, his pet cat that he got from that nice lady outside stormwind, and how it helps him cope with dealing with the knowledge of impending doom, and how he just loves that little furball to bits. Not many people get me, but Donni Anthania gets me
    .......you kiiinda are describing me in life I feel...dead inside trying to rekindle damn man...just damn..

As for the topic I think ws has been Saud the issue is subtlety or not understanding that everyone copes differently.

Like as has been suggested a dual personality maybe outside of say being around demons fairly brooding but can be social while around demons he starts to go nuts and becomes a danger to all

Another thing was what type of demon. Because they can have different influences. So let's say we break them down into basic deadly sins.

Lust could mean insanely sexual and they consumed a succubus. Ypu could have them dealing with insanely strong sexual desires so much so "a cat is fine too" becomes real for them so they isolate to keep their insane luse in check. Or it develops into a player esque mentality of looking fir the next lay to bury their pain in. Or alternatively try to avoid the temptations altogether and work alone when Needed(this sin given demonic influence could have very very bad non pc rp happen wwaaaay too easily)

Wrath could be easily angered or upset but their is brooding too. Let's say a wtaithguard soul. Easy enough basic edgelord type right here VEANGEANGE DEATH INCARNATE FEEL MY PAIN AND WRATH types basically all will burn. So they have to keep tjeir desire for revenge and carnage as payback in check.

Gluttony maybe one if the imp leader souls or a demon we haven't seen much of.nharder to place. They cope by eating. So they hangout at bars ir food places and eat alot or just enjoy trying new foods. But maybe they are gluttonous for other things maybe they develop an insatiable addiction to eating demon blood and so on. On the flipside they could excel in moderation or balance

Pride. Pride could be almost any demon tbh wnd could manifest as boasting of one's greatness or as subtle as a snide overconfidence on the other hand they could be insanely prideful inside but mask or try to mask it by being self depreciating and beating themselves up or downplaying while inside going "that's right I am the best" just trying not to overplay it.

Then their is greed "time is money friend" is just the surface remember greed from FMA "I WANT IT ALL POWER MONEY WOMEN" type of thing. Maybe they re greedy and need or crave power sex women literally everything but they are not jealous they just want it all. Including a good life ir to be normal again. Greed I see as the new little demons who was acting as our vendor. And on the flipside of greed they could be overly generous giving shit away to cope or cover-up.

Envy can be say an imp or another demon. Envy could be the classic woe is me edgelord "why does everyone else have it so much better then me" type of thing. Bitter depressed but also maybe just quiet and stalkers or reserved. Keeps it inside but watches others with a certain look. On the other side of envy they could give or aid others in excess to mask their jealousy and envy they act as if they are whole

Last is sloth maybe they sleep alot or they never want to tight much however they will when they have too. Think shikamaru from Naruto. Minus intelligence unless played that way. On the other hand maybe they keep going to fight the demon inside they never stop moving

Then looking at it another ancient one is Acedia or apathy/depression..they just do not care. They are dead inside. Someone gets hurt not their issues they do not eat ir do things so what. Nothing TRULY matters anymore so they put on a mask. Conversely maybe they act way too caring to cover it up or borderline normal

They outside the sins you have gibberish made or flashbacks. Maybe some think they are still with or seeing dead loved ones or they carry around dolls or other things that they really believe are their kids. Take it and que psycho mode. Hell maybe they are now sociopaths and weem well adjusted gut are manipulating those around them. Or maybe they are serious masochist to them the entire process was FUN IT WAS GOOD they literally got iff on all the pain. This one could seem stable but inflict pain(say as a tank) and..yeah let's just say any macros here could go very very XXX. On the other hand maybe supersafistic and so they get off on inflicting pain I mean hell maybe a switch who swaps between sadist and masochist in their purest forms. Maybe you regress to childhood better times so need a sort of caregiver but get the, around demons and bam. Or they fight on instinct even when having a child's outlook.

So yeah you Dp not need to be an ultra depressed DH you can cope almost any way you want..but the signs are their and I hope people will learn that trauma takes a great many forms

People can RP how they want. Sorry if it ruins your experience. Avoid it. Most people may break lore but hey, they paid to have have their broken lore lived out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    People can RP how they want. Sorry if it ruins your experience. Avoid it. Most people may break lore but hey, they paid to have have their broken lore lived out.
    Who are you talking to?

I would like it if you point out who said anything about not avoiding those, or more; that they aren't allowed to roleplay however they want?

Quite frankly, I skimmed through the topic again and with the exception of a couple troll posts, people have been very civil and understanding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Though I don't do any hard RP (e.g. RP in any of the game's channels, guild or otherwise), any soft RP I do for my DH tends towards him being fairly open and prone to (inappropriate) laughter. You get the impression that the initiation has left him more than a little insane as he argues with himself under his breath, fights with far too much zeal to be healthy, and enjoys the infliction of pain on himself out of misplaced sense of penance (he's primarily Vengeance). Outside of combat he's amiable and personable to others, unless that other happens to be a demon or serves the Legion.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Kalecgos View Post
    I am not sure what's the case on other RP servers, but right here on Argent Dawn EU every demon hunter I run into is a creep, obnoxious edge-lord with real mental issues. Now granted, being a demon hunter doesn't come free; you have had your fair share of pain and struggles, mostly depending on your character's age and past experience. You have to remember that at some point, despite what your character has turned into NOW, they USED TO BE functional people.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have to go out and socialize with people, have drinks, hang out and chill like you haven't only awakened from years of slumber a month ago, but it also doesn't mean you have to face everyone you role play with with your most boring story about your pain and suffering. Relax, and for the sake of everyone's sanity lighten up a bit.

I will give you an example of how I am handling my own, and it seems to receive a wide acceptance among the people that are offering to RP back with me. To make this brief, my blood elf demon huntress used to be a fairly young assassin and a scout that seemingly died during TBC after joining the Illidari side in character (I roleplayed her back then as a rogue), and became a demon huntress then but of course we didn't have the class to represent that. Anyway, she was seemingly killed off. What I am doing now is that, years later, after coming back from her apparent death, she retained some of her past personality easily, but is struggling emotionally to realize whether or not her apparent feeling of happiness to get reunited with her father and older sister (IC) are true emotions, or that she is emulating the past emotions she remembered, or even worse; whether the demon inside her is controlling these emotions. She doesn't understand, and that's her main theme, but that doesn't prevent her from semi-functioning as a normal person at least when she is approached. You don't see me wear edgy clothes and go to bars and mingle with the society because clearly we are still considered outcasts to the rest of Azeroth, but if someone decided to approach me decently and talk to me? Or when I RP with the sister/father/anyone who wants to RP with me? I act mostly like she used to act eight years ago.

Sure though, if your character is an edge-lord to begin with, knock yourself out. Feel free to RP him that way, but it has nothing with him being a demon hunter just that you know.

Have a nice day, everyone.
    My Demon Huntress finds strength and some kind of sanity and moral standarts in her Faith. She was a Priestess of Elune before she joined Lord Illidan and she still trusts in the mercy of the goddess. She knows, the Goddess would never leave her behind, only those who give up their faith are beyond redemption. As long as this one part of her remains pure, the demon has no power inside her. She feels companionship to her fellow night elvish Illidari, even after she lost her loyalty to Illidan Stormrage after he commited the crime to sacrifice the Souls of Kal'dorei (she's a hypocrite, so she is totally okay with Broken, Naga, Orc or Sin'dorei Souls to be sacrificed). There is edge. There will be always edge, that's part of the concept, but one should consider that fel turns you into a massive dick in the first place, not some whiny douchebag. One can live up the edge in other ways instead of playing Linkin Park: The RP Character. For example giving a character cynical and sardonic aspects. But after all, my Demon Huntress is a proud and mighty Kal'dorei, the best of all Dorei, not some weak and wretched Blood Elf. If she were one, she would cry all day and night about how miserable the existence as a blood elf with their tiny and weak bodies, pinkish skin and ridiculous haircolors (red hair is a troll trait and yellow hair is ugly and strange!) is (only a little joke).
    Last edited by mmocfbbaf337eb; 2016-09-08 at 10:10 PM.

Deleted
    You seem to underestimate just now much shit demon hunters have gone through to get where they are. Not to mention they have been shunned by their people, outcast and completely left to do one thing and one thing alone. They are walking killing machines, designed and created for one purpose alone much like the Death Knight.

They exist ONLY to slay demons and have given up everything to that purpose. It's no wonder they are bitter as hell, seeing as they got absolutely no thanks for the work they've done. AND THE SACRIFICES!

YOU JUST

DON'T.

UNDER.

STAND.

Also try to imagine how long they've gone without talking to us normal folk. Maybe they're really happy to reconnect with us, but then socially awkward because it's been so long so they spill all the beans immediately. Not that I've met someone like that though. But it makes sense if you actually gave it some thought, m8.