Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation [PSA] If You Want To Roleplay As A Demon Hunter, You DON'T Have to RP As an Edgelord!

I am not sure what's the case on other RP servers, but right here on Argent Dawn EU every demon hunter I run into is a creep, obnoxious edge-lord with real mental issues. Now granted, being a demon hunter doesn't come free; you have had your fair share of pain and struggles, mostly depending on your character's age and past experience. You have to remember that at some point, despite what your character has turned into NOW, they USED TO BE functional people.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have to go out and socialize with people, have drinks, hang out and chill like you haven't only awakened from years of slumber a month ago, but it also doesn't mean you have to face everyone you role play with with your most boring story about your pain and suffering. Relax, and for the sake of everyone's sanity lighten up a bit.

I will give you an example of how I am handling my own, and it seems to receive a wide acceptance among the people that are offering to RP back with me. To make this brief, my blood elf demon huntress used to be a fairly young assassin and a scout that seemingly died during TBC after joining the Illidari side in character (I roleplayed her back then as a rogue), and became a demon huntress then but of course we didn't have the class to represent that. Anyway, she was seemingly killed off. What I am doing now is that, years later, after coming back from her apparent death, she retained some of her past personality easily, but is struggling emotionally to realize whether or not her apparent feeling of happiness to get reunited with her father and older sister (IC) are true emotions, or that she is emulating the past emotions she remembered, or even worse; whether the demon inside her is controlling these emotions. She doesn't understand, and that's her main theme, but that doesn't prevent her from semi-functioning as a normal person at least when she is approached. You don't see me wear edgy clothes and go to bars and mingle with the society because clearly we are still considered outcasts to the rest of Azeroth, but if someone decided to approach me decently and talk to me? Or when I RP with the sister/father/anyone who wants to RP with me? I act mostly like she used to act eight years ago.

Sure though, if your character is an edge-lord to begin with, knock yourself out. Feel free to RP him that way, but it has nothing with him being a demon hunter just that you know.

Have a nice day, everyone.
    Last edited by mmoc4dd871e486; 2016-08-27 at 08:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Bi*ch you know nothing about my suffering. We sacrificed everything even our shadow the edgehog action figures. Im gonna wear black and red and there is nothing you can do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh how I miss roleplaying...

OT: I think it's fine to be a little disturbed, but I always finds extremely hard to take character that have this "dark" trait on the foreground seriously. I mean, yeah, you went through some tough shit, but honestly i find it hard to believe that you cant feel joy. Thats also why I always have problems taking forsakens rpers seriously.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Deleted
    I mean, if Illidan himself can smile like he did in that short video, then my huntress who is at least ten thousand years younger and with much less experience as a demon huntress surely can.

Hell, Illidan even appears self aware of himself and his Prepared meme.

Vandel regualry stole some booze from the Blood Elves in the Black Temple to have a good time when things are smooth at the moment.
    I think that's going to be my theme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's been a long time since I RP'ed, sadly. But I always did enjoyed the idea of DH that would use his "suffering"in a light hearted and annoying way to justify his wishes.

"Dude, are you drinking ale at 8am?"
    AHHH C'mon gimme a break, I have demons in my body or something.
    "You said that last night to get the bigger bed!"
    Well, it's a bed for two wasn't it? Me and my demon!
    "Is that cocaine?"
    Well, the demon must get his fix!

That would probably be frowned upon.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

They have sacrificed everything. What have you given?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    This idea irritates me. Sure, DH's have done a lot, and will do more, to save Azeroth, but so has everyone else. I might just be a shaman, but I fought back the scourge and defeated the LK, stopped the Cataclysm and its associated bs (rag on legs), and so on and so on. I haven't just been on vacation waiting for the Legion to attack.

7+ Year Old Account
    my dh is gonna be an sarcastic ass.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Jibberjabber View Post
    This idea irritates me. Sure, DH's have done a lot, and will do more, to save Azeroth, but so has everyone else. I might just be a shaman, but I fought back the scourge and defeated the LK, stopped the Cataclysm and its associated bs (rag on legs), and so on and so on. I haven't just been on vacation waiting for the Legion to attack.
    Yes, but have you done it while you're blind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    I am not sure what's the case on other RP servers, but right here on Argent Dawn EU every demon hunter I run into is a creep, obnoxious edge-lord with real mental issues. Now granted, being a demon hunter doesn't come free; you have had your fair share of pain and struggles, mostly depending on your character's age and past experience. You have to remember that at some point, despite what your character has turned into NOW, they USED TO BE functional people.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have to go out and socialize with people, have drinks, hang out and chill like you haven't only awakened from years of slumber a month ago, but it also doesn't mean you have to face everyone you role play with with your most boring story about your pain and suffering. Relax, and for the sake of everyone's sanity lighten up a bit.

I will give you an example of how I am handling my own, and it seems to receive a wide acceptance among the people that are offering to RP back with me. To make this brief, my blood elf demon huntress used to be a fairly young assassin and a scout that seemingly died during TBC after joining the Illidari side in character (I roleplayed her back then as a rogue), and became a demon huntress then but of course we didn't have the class to represent that. Anyway, she was seemingly killed off. What I am doing now is that, years later, after coming back from her apparent death, she retained some of her past personality easily, but is struggling emotionally to realize whether or not her apparent feeling of happiness to get reunited with her father and older sister (IC) are true emotions, or that she is emulating the past emotions she remembered, or even worse; whether the demon inside her is controlling these emotions. She doesn't understand, and that's her main theme, but that doesn't prevent her from semi-functioning as a normal person at least when she is approached. You don't see me wear edgy clothes and go to bars and mingle with the society because clearly we are still considered outcasts to the rest of Azeroth, but if someone decided to approach me decently and talk to me? Or when I RP with the sister/father/anyone who wants to RP with me? I act mostly like she used to act eight years ago.

Sure though, if your character is an edge-lord to begin with, knock yourself out. Feel free to RP him that way, but it has nothing with him being a demon hunter just that you know.

Have a nice day, everyone.
    In the book it describes some demon hunters as being udderly broken people. One woman carries her dead babies skull around her neck and talks to it, while another one laughs at everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
    In the book it describes some demon hunters as being udderly broken people. One woman carries her dead babies skull around her neck and talks to it, while another one laughs at everything.
    That doesn't mean all of them should be, though. Imagine if everyone played their DH in that way; it would lead to a very terrible experience.

Besides, we have already established how some notable DH characters show some personality quirks.
    Last edited by mmoc4dd871e486; 2016-10-30 at 06:49 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    every time i see a demon hunter all i can think of is
    so i'm some how not surprised thats how people rp them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibberjabber View Post
    Yeah that line makes me want to slap them. While you've all been in your green crystal pods napping we've been dealing with like 4 potential world ending threats.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    they really havent sacrificed every thing look at deathknights they have literately nothing but there flying death base demon hunters got to shack up in the black temple with scubbbi and booze while deafknights were forced to murder tons of people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
    well laughter is the best medicine and the other is just taking after illidan with the skull of gul'dan its kinda like his baby.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    My demon hunter imprisons succubi and forces them to watch the crow with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

I think it makes perfect sense to RP a demon hunter as disturbed, but I see room for variation. There are all kinds of madness, and demonic influence can be as subtle as it can brutal.

I'm drawing a lot on the main character from the Illidan book when I RP mine - not the details, but the overall attitude. I have good intentions, but I am self-aware enough to realize I am dangerous. Most definitely dangerous to demons, but potentially dangerous to anyone around me. On the one hand I am drawn to social settings as a balm to maintain my sanity; on the other hand I keep my distance because I don't fully trust myself (in the novel, remember, they continued to struggle with self-control and occasionally went off on each other). The only time I feel truly at peace is when I'm on the hunt.

When I'm in Stormwind, I'm typically stalking the rooftops, looking for infiltrators. I rarely stay in town for long. I bounce from invasion site to invasion site, stalking the biggest prey I can find. It keeps me occupied. It keeps the demon fed.

My best analogy would be a veteran with significant PTSD issues.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    I think it makes perfect sense to RP a demon hunter as disturbed, but I see room for variation. There are all kinds of madness, and demonic influence can be as subtle as it can brutal.

I'm drawing a lot on the main character from the Illidan book when I RP mine - not the details, but the overall attitude. I have good intentions, but I am self-aware enough to realize I am dangerous. Most definitely dangerous to demons, but potentially dangerous to anyone around me. On the one hand I am drawn to social settings as a balm to maintain my sanity; on the other hand I keep my distance because I don't fully trust myself (in the novel, remember, they continued to struggle with self-control and occasionally went off on each other). The only time I feel truly at peace is when I'm on the hunt.

When I'm in Stormwind, I'm typically stalking the rooftops, looking for infiltrators. I rarely stay in town for long. I bounce from invasion site to invasion site, stalking the biggest prey I can find. It keeps me occupied. It keeps the demon fed.

My best analogy would be a veteran with significant PTSD issues.
    Yea. Not to into role playing as something that is a horrible thing that vets go thru.

My demon hunter Thanthein, Oh damn I was angry at my parents. I was all like it isn't a phase I'm running away to join Illidan only he understands my pain. Then I actually survived, and that whole edgy crap is just so... I don't know what I was thinking. Now I'm kind of rolling with it, doing my best to not be too much like everything sucks and all that. I really love the Pandaren's cuisine. Not a fan of their booze but love the food.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    they really havent sacrificed every thing look at deathknights they have literately nothing but there flying death base demon hunters got to shack up in the black temple with scubbbi and booze while deafknights were forced to murder tons of people.
    Yeah there is a massive difference there, Death knights were enslaved and mind controlled in service to an evil sadistic lord who forced them to commit atrocities against the ones they loved, and for whatever the demon hunters endured, they did it with their own free will, that makes a world of difference.

Not to say that demon hunters dont deserve the edgecard. To be fair though, demon hunters all share a very specific backstory, by the time they join illidan chances are they all have a very similar disposition or even personality, so its likely they would all be Xreme bitchlords. Perhaps after some time conditioning themselves back into society they could adopt new personas, but i highly doubt any of them come out of their training without severe PTSD while deathknights end up feeling dead and empty inside and completely devoid of emotions. I do doubt however that either of those 2 classes would ever turn up to a pub to chill out or rather would ever rejoin society.

Another class i imagine could pay a high price would be shadow priests, using their magic literally drives them into insanity, shattering their minds over and over battle by battle.

As for others, i imagine that most other characters could enjoy the good life, mages can summon tasty food for shits and giggles, hunters get to be special snowflakes and be the only class with ranged weapons, warriors get to revel in victory and honor, rogues get to snatch gold and live rather comfortably, warlocks get pet succubi, shamans get the elements, which are just super useful (just watch avatar), druids get to shapeshift, grow herbs and stargaze, monks get to punch shit and tinker around with herbal medicine and paladins can bubble hearth.