Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    How anyone spends more than 5,000 is beyond me. Even with 150 people, venue+dinner for everyone+cake+flowers was under $5,000. I would be so mad if I had to spend any more than that. Use the money for your honeymoon...
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I feel this kind of cost is mostly due to having very large families. Wedding dresses are expensive, sure. But that's only about 1/3rd the cost. Most of the budget goes to the reception and temple/church arrangements.

Honeymoon costs are a separate thing in my view. That's a vacation of sorts and it's not part of the wedding, exactly.
    Could you imagine a dress that costs 1/3 of $100k?!

If I was loaded, sure whatever. But as it stands with my earnings, I would take the money and pay off all of my debts. Literally all of them.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I found a girl who wasn't into all the Disney Princess pageantry and married her. It was very intimate - just us two, and I'll remember it all my life as one of the best days ever. I can't remember how much it cost, but we've spent more since then on other vacations.

I think the trick is finding someone who wants a marriage rather than a wedding.

Weddings cost whatever you want to spend , 100k is not the norm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cam5778 View Post
    Weddings in general are just ridiculous. I am coming up on second wedding I am best man for. Bachelor party, tux rental, travel fees, hotel fees. Shit adds up even when you're not getting married....
    Pretty much, I was a groomsman and my buddy was getting married in Hawaii. He covered the rooms but we had to pay for the bachelor party, flight, rentals, fees, etc. Having to spend around $2500 for someone else's wedding was really annoying. Never will I be apart of someones wedding party if its a destination wedding, not spending loads of cash again. I'll wait for a local reception lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodSense View Post
    A plate is per person for the whole wedding, will normally include a Venetian hour, open bar, and a choice of 4 entree' usually a fish dish, a steak dish, a chicken dish and sometimes a vegetarian option. Then desert, not including the cake which you have to have made separate. I've been to weddings as cheap as $75 a head, and probably close to $200 a head. And weddings in excess of 100+ guests are not uncommon here. If you're italian,greek or hispanic you may have 100 guests just among aunts, uncles, cousins and their spouses and children. Toss in your close circles of friends for bride and groom, good friends of the family and coworkers and 150-200 isn't that far fetched.
    But... Why? Why include all these things, like open bar, for example? Plus, no matter your origins, I still fail to see the reason to invite 100+ guests, most of which you probably don't even know personally. I've always seen wedding invites as something pretty, let's say, "intimate", and I wouldn't want on my wedding people that don't have a significant place in my life. Parents, brother, a few closest friends - that's pretty much it. Inviting coworkers is something I really wouldn't do...

Of course, if you want to invite everyone you can think of, and make a feast for every one of them of the size 10 times what they can possibly consume, and make the wedding last 15 hours, in a VIP location - then yes, I can see how such enormous costs might emerge. Is a party one day long really worth it though? If you are a millionaire, I can see it as somewhat justified, but for a regular person dozens thousands per one party seems like a huge waste of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    How anyone spends more than 5,000 is beyond me. Even with 150 people, venue+dinner for everyone+cake+flowers was under $5,000. I would be so mad if I had to spend any more than that. Use the money for your honeymoon...
    Better yet, for paying off property loan!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    But... Why? Why include all these things, like open bar, for example? Plus, no matter your origins, I still fail to see the reason to invite 100+ guests, most of which you probably don't even know personally. I've always seen wedding invites as something pretty, let's say, "intimate", and I wouldn't want on my wedding people that don't have a significant place in my life. Parents, brother, a few closest friends - that's pretty much it. Inviting coworkers is something I really wouldn't do...

Of course, if you want to invite everyone you can think of, and make a feast for every one of them of the size 10 times what they can possibly consume, and make the wedding last 15 hours, in a VIP location - then yes, I can see how such enormous costs might emerge. Is a party one day long really worth it though? If you are a millionaire, I can see it as somewhat justified, but for a regular person dozens thousands per one party seems like a huge waste of money.
    only people i would invite to my wedding are my brothers sister parents uncles, aunts, and maybe coworkers.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say that's what weddings cost there. It's more a matter of if you want to have a big very fancy wedding in a downtown very upscale hotel, a person could spend that much if they really wanted to. That's the case in any major city if you want to have a wedding in a $500/night hotel. It's not so much that they cost that, but weddings are a big industry and a lot of people make big money on it since it's a time when people are very loose with their wallets. Weddings are about as high profit-margin for those service providers as it gets. So those folks will happily take your money if you are willing to (over)spend big on every little wedding detail. But that's still very optional. It's a bit like saying TVs cost $100k and then showing someone with a giant screen home theater room which cost $100k. You can spend that much if you have the money and choose to...they'll happily take your money, but it's not what they cost. Plenty of people get married and have their reception at a Best Western with reasonable food and without an open bar, instead of the Four Seasons with ridiculous food and an open bar. Or you can be creative and for about $10k get married on the beach in Jamaica or Florida in a small ceremony.

Having recently been married, I can assure you, a nice wedding cost no where near 100k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    You should have life insurance. I have two separate policies - one through my job, and one personal.
    I pass all my belongings on to my Cat snuffles.

In my oppinion people are just doing it wrong if it costs them this much money. I understand that they may be ok with spending that much and that is ok, but i feel like when it comes to weddings people dont set a reasonable budget and stick to it.

My wife and I got married on rose island in newport rhode island, we spent about 20k on the whole deal, and that included wonderful catering, open bar (just beer and wine), shuttles to the island, etc. the guests had a wonderful time. we just kept it simple and classy, and it worked very well.

/shrug who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    Pretty much, I was a groomsman and my buddy was getting married in Hawaii. He covered the rooms but we had to pay for the bachelor party, flight, rentals, fees, etc. Having to spend around $2500 for someone else's wedding was really annoying. Never will I be apart of someones wedding party if its a destination wedding, not spending loads of cash again. I'll wait for a local reception lol.
    Personally I think it's extremely rude to first want some far off location, and then expecting guests to pay their way there. They want it there, they pay for guests to get there and back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Lets marry only you and me in Las Vegas for lesser then 100 Dollars .
    Now, Las Vegas is a place in which $100 might be a bit too little... How about Anchorage instead?
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Apparently it's about the same price in Norway too, and I just don't get it. Well, tbh, I didn't get married in Norway, but still, I'd say we had a really cheap wedding.

I think my dress was 120 $, shoes 48 $. Something like that. So yeah, can't really have claimed to have been a Bridezilla

Did the celebration at my parents-in-laws' place, maybe we had 20 guests, his family/friends. My family wasn't there and I'm friendless

But to spend this much money? How? Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    You Life there ? Why not Alaska is beautiful so much wild nature.
    I'm in Indiana, and Alaska is probably a bit too cold to my taste... But a summer wedding there could be very romantic!

10+ Year Old Account
    A Weeding when the sun goes Down somewhere near the Ocean. I like hot places more but only hot alltime määääh. Cold places have their own charm and it can be very warm if you cuddling with your lovely person with a hot tee under a tree .
    I also prefer hot places near ocean. I absolutely adored Australia when I visited relatives there. Also, maybe it's just me, but I usually get used to heat pretty quickly, in just a few days - while cold makes me feel uncomfortable all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Personally I think it's extremely rude to first want some far off location, and then expecting guests to pay their way there. They want it there, they pay for guests to get there and back.
    There are right ways and wrong ways to do a destination weddings, that's the wrong way. A destination wedding should more or less entail "Here is the date, here is the place, hope to see you there." Anyone who cares enough to go can go, and anyone who doesn't, no hard feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSense View Post
    There are right ways and wrong ways to do a destination weddings, that's the wrong way. A destination wedding should more or less entail "Here is the date, here is the place, hope to see you there." Anyone who cares enough to go can go, and anyone who doesn't, no hard feelings.
    Anyone close enough to the couple is more or less emotionally blackmailed to go and spend their money on the trip, on top of gifts. I don't really agree with it. You want exotic far off place? It should be at your cost, not on the guests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.