Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Daily Caller is not a reliable site. You might as well just be linking your blog.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Or I could link a counter argument.

http://www.economist.com/node/6771382
    Someone linked ottaviano, I'm glad.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Or I could link a counter argument.

http://www.economist.com/node/6771382
    And here George Borjas is refuting that claim.
    http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/...ano-peri-.html

Without getting to into things the short and dirty version is that George Borjas model is much simpler than the Ottaviano model. Borjas simply lets the data speak without really manipulating it at all. Borjas model comes right out of the rules for supply and demand which have proven themselves extensively. The Ottaviano model is more complex and assumes for very large complementary effects which probably don't exist.

Occam's razor: The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    "This is my narrative, accept it!"
    This is my narrative backed up by some hard to refute facts. Accept the difficult truth, or fight against it because it benefits your agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    This is my narrative backed up by some hard to refute facts. Accept the difficult truth, or fight against it because it benefits your agenda.
    Actually, those facts haven't been hard to refute considering the guy you linked ignores quite a bit. The simplest solution is your guys model suffers from Omitted variable bias. Not that his basic model is correct.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    After a Youtube video with a Cuban illegal immigrant on it (the irony), notorious for his usage of professor status to push his agenda? Suuuuuuuuure! /s
    Yep, Professor Borjas is so committed to the object truth of immigration that he disregards the fact that he is an immigrant himself. Man deserves a fucking award.

7+ Year Old Account

Without getting to into things the short and dirty version is that George Borjas model is much simpler than the Ottaviano model. Borjas simply lets the data speak without really manipulating it at all. Borjas model comes right out of the rules for supply and demand which have proven themselves extensively. The Ottaviano model is more complex and assumes for very large complementary effects which probably don't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

You should read what you are linking bro. It's a critique to Borjas.

- - - Updated - - -

Bro, you just linked an article that basically says in big bold letters "I think George Borjas is a dumbass" and called it his article "refuting that claim." Protip for future internet arguments: find a source that actually supports the argument you are trying to make instead of linking one where the argument you are trying ot make is in a little quote box... especially when the author of the article in question is using that particular quote to dispute the claims you are trying to link.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, Professor Borjas is so committed to the object truth of immigration that he disregards the fact that he is an immigrant himself. Man deserves a fucking award.
    "Truth"...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    You should read what you are linking bro. It's a critique to Borjas.
    https://normsaysno.wordpress.com/201...borjas-debate/

"Giovanni Peri, my UC Davis colleague, is a relative newcomer to the field of immigration economics, and is quite stridently on the pro- side. He has become the go-to man for politicians seeking an academic imprimatur for a stance favoring expansive immigration policies."

"George did a critical analysis of the Card paper last year; Giovanni responded; George rebutted; and yesterday it was Giovanni’s turn (though the latter was not a rebuttal, in that he did not address or even mention George’s latest analysis)."

"Notable among these is George’s discovery of a major flaw in Giovanni’s analysis: In assessing the impact of the Marielitos on native high school dropouts in Miami, Giovanni treated as “dropouts” those who actually are still in school, i.e. are NOT dropouts. You don’t have to be an economist to see that this is major trouble for Giovanni’s findings."

"In another one of his analyses, a regional approach to the question of whether the H-1B work visa program harms or helps native workers, he omitted from his data the most prominent H-1B using region of all — Silicon Valley! — again without disclosing that omission to the reader. The bibliographies in his papers almost never cite any work that has findings that are unfavorable to the H-1B program, when in fact one is supposed to cite all relevant prior work. These are major academic transgressions."

Giovanni Peri is a flat out liar and an academic fraud. I don't want to hear any person in this thread bring him up without addressing this post.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-08-28 at 05:23 PM.

If someone with no qualifications, who doesn't speak your native language properly is coming to your country and stealing your job, maybe you were just shit at your job?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    If someone with no qualifications, who doesn't speak your native language properly is coming to your country and stealing your job, maybe you were just shit at your job?
    Either that or they severely undercut wages. I am going with the latter option.

Why 'or'? Probably both.

10+ Year Old Account
    We get that you hate illegal immigrants with a burning passion. What we have a problem with is the near-daily threads you create on the same subject. We've already closed multiple threads and told you to stop.