Weapon power: not an off-spec, but a second spec

Hey everyone!

We saw lots of threads asking about leveling off-spec and how to put 12 points in your leveling/questing off-spec. So far so good (except that I didn't decide myself which spec to level with at 100).

What I would like to know is how to plan doing two specs more or less equally? I consider myself a Resto healer first and foremost, but last time I raided I still had to do a lot of Balance damage (to leave room for new healer applicants and because I didn't totally s*ck at it). So in practice I played two specs, sometimes priorizing one and on another evening priorizing the other.

Looks like this isn't possible anymore until months into the expansion? How do others handle the whole weapon power issue of that?

Having both at the same level will only cost you maybe 1-2 trait points in comparison to completely focusing on one weapon.

Since about 85% of artifact power cost comes from a 20 rank trait that only gives 0.5% benefit per point, that's a pretty minor loss.

Deleted
    Are you going to need this during the month or so of progress? If so then your raid leader should really be deciding on keeping you as 1 spec for that time really. Do you usually bring in new trials within that time? Surely the roster would be about finished right now enabling everyone to be focusing on their main spec so as not to hinder progress. Seems to be more of a raid comp issue as you shouldn't have to do this really.

This will be an expansion where OS likely won't be as powerful as MS are. In the past this was based purely on skill and gear. Now you have AP grind which unless you split it 50/50 and get it topped out really quick (not happening) the first tier or two this is going to be reality. Raid leaders that don't understand this aren't good raid leads. But you do have some hope. One is if you get those first 10 to 13 points in your OS weapon you, and no, you aren't killing your main weapon much to do this. Second relics matter a whole lot as well so it can off set things for you a bit and a lot of people don't realize this yet that weren't in the beta. So while your damage as an OS boomkin might not be as high as an equally skilled and geared main boomkin it should fall within a margin that is still somewhat acceptable. As long as you don't completely dismiss your OS weapon and give it zero power.

In the end you have to choose what is more important to you, the team, and what time allows. Because in some situations it might be better to have flexibility with specs. Others having 1% more healing might be more important. Or time you have to play might only allow you to have one viable option. It is a meaningful choice and that of course means later on down you might look back with some regret but truth be told the system allows for quick repairs as long as you stay ontop of research in your order hall and don't flip flop to much.

http://blog.askmrrobot.com/wp-conten...g-709x1024.png

Shows how almost as powerful of an off-spec can be maintained as legion progresses, it is not as bad as people make out. And that is for keeping balance where your MS is only maybe 1 behind people who focus entirely on their MS, you could have a more even divide and probably only be 2, maybe 3 behind.

The real lag is ~2 months in, it gets much better later as AK goes up, but in terms of the flat % bonus increases at the end, that may take longer to catch up, but simply filling the base artifacts out is not at all.
    Last edited by Sprucelee; 2016-08-29 at 01:49 PM.
    Resto Druid - Temerity - 7/7M @ 3 Days / Week

Looks good. Thanks for the replies.