Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Megathread] Battlefield One

Gameplay
    Similar to previous entries in the series, Battlefield 1 is a first-person shooter that emphasizes teamwork. The game is set in the period of World War I, and is inspired by historical events. Players can make use of World War I weapons, including bolt-action rifles, automatic and semi-automatic rifles, artillery, flamethrowers, and mustard gas to combat opponents. Melee combat was reworked, with DICE introducing new melee weapons such as sabres, trench clubs, and shovels into the game. These melee weapons were divided into two groups: heavy and light. Players can also take control of various armored vehicles, including light and heavy tanks, armored trucks, biplane aircraft, battleships and zeppelin, as well as ride horses into battle. Destructible environments and weapon customization, features present in the previous games, return in Battlefield 1 and will be more dynamic.

According to the game's designer, Daniel Berlin, the campaign mode has larger and more open environments than those in previous installments in the franchise, with more options and choices in terms of paths to completing levels and how to approach combat. Players can control several characters in the campaign.

The game's multiplayer is planned to support up to 64 players. The new squad system allows a group of players to enter and leave game servers together. According to Berlin, playing without joining a squad would make gameplay significantly more difficult. Multiplayer maps are to be based on locations around the world, including Arabia, the Western Front, and the Alps.

Trailers

Official Reveal Trailer

Gamescom Official Trailer

Jackfrags Sinai Desert gameplay (open beta map)

Classes
    Battlefield 1's multiplayer features eight distinct classes:

• Assault Class: The primary anti-vehicle class. Assault players have SMG's and automatic rifles at their disposal.
    • Medic Class: The Medic class is primarily focused on reviving fellow teammates, healing them, and repairing their vehicles. The primary weapons in this class are semi-automatic rifles.
    • Support Class: Supports have light-machine guns at their disposal. They also contribute to the team by replenishing their fellow team-mates' ammo.
    • Scout Class: Scouts use sniper rifles. The class contributes to the team by spotting enemies, and by firing the flare gun, which places nearby enemies in the vicinity on the mini-map.
    • Tanker Class: Players choosing to spawn into a tank will now automatically spawn as the tanker class. The class is new to the series, and features a hammer that can repair vehicles.
    • Pilot Class: Players who spawn into a plane will now automatically spawn as the pilot class
    • Cavalry Class: Players who choose to spawn on a horse would give them the cavalry class
    • Elite Class: Elite classes are obtained by players through a pickup on the battlefield, which allows them to wield different special abilities or weapons such as the flamethrower. This class has different variations such as the Sentry, Tank Hunter, and Flame Trooper.

Development
    According to game designer Daniel Berlin, the team picked World War I as the game's setting as they believed that the weapons and gadgets featured in that period of time suit players with different playstyles. The game was named Battlefield 1, since the team considered World War I "the dawn of all-out warfare". Melee weapons were reworked so as to introduce more depth to the system. According to creative director Lars Gustavsson, the setting was a concept for a very long time, and it had been the "dream" for the team to create a game based on that period. According to Berlin, gameplay was the most important aspect when they were developing the game, and he promised that it would not be slowed down due to the game's historical setting. The story of the game is told through multiple protagonists, and explores the stories of unknown war heroes. Patrick Söderlund, an executive of Electronic Arts, originally rejected the idea of having a World War One shooter as he thought that it would not be fun to play. He later accepted the pitch after being convinced by a demo created by DICE.

In June 2015, DICE revealed that they were working on an unannounced game. In January 2016, EA announced that Titanfall 2, Mass Effect: Andromeda and an unannounced video game set in the Battlefield universe would be released prior to the end of the company's fiscal year. Both the title, the game's release date, and the plot of the game were leaked prior to the official announcement on May 6, 2016. The game was officially unveiled on that day through a livestream on Twitch, showcasing a reveal trailer of the game featuring a remix of The White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" by The Glitch Mob. The game's Collector's Edition includes items such as a statue of a Harlem Hell Fighter, a code for an unannounced downloadable content (DLC), and a Steelbook case. Pre-order bonuses include early access to a DLC map, and the Harlem Hellfighter Pack. The Deluxe Edition includes the pre-order bonuses, as well as three days early access to the game, the Red Baron Pack, the Lawrence of Arabia Pack, and five Battlepacks. The open beta, which allows the team to ensure that major technical bugs, glitches and crashes can be patched prior to the game's official launch, is expected to start on August 31, 2016, but a day earlier for those who have signed up for Battlefield Insider. Battlefield 1 is set to be released worldwide on October 21, 2016 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea how there is no active Battlefield One megathread here yet. Is simply nobody excited for this game on MMO-C ?

I personally will ditch Legion for a bit when the beta is live, i'll probably mostly play this as long as the beta is here.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Beta in about ~12 hours Woot! and so is legion. What do i play??
    Last edited by Khuros; 2016-08-29 at 08:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would have thought this thread be more popular ^^

So what are your thoughts so far guys? Yay or nay.

Is it just me or I somewhat don't feel any World War vibe in this one? I don't know what it is, but it doesn't seem lively. Bad Company 2 I felt like I was part of the Cold War etc, this I simply don't. Same with BF3, I felt like I was part of it while BF4 was just shooter, big maps and that's it.

Probs just me...
    -K

Gameplay is like BF Hardline/battlefront in WW1 era. The optimization is there,

Here`s raw footage at max settings @ 100% res. scale

Last edited by Real2016; 2016-08-30 at 08:38 PM.

It looks really badass that's for sure. I was really excited about the beta coming this weekend but I am not really feeling it... it plays kinda awkward in my opinion. I'm not sure what it is. It sometimes feels like you have to put a hundred rounds into someone for them to die while it feels like you die very easily (maybe I just suck balls). I can be in a vehicle on a machine gun spraying the shit out of people and they just won't die. I know it's supposed to be like that but at some point I just feel like I am done with it and I say "fuck this" and move on shooting at something else instead... it's just annoying. It's also rather annoying getting shot from somewhere and not knowing wth is going on. It's really hard to orientate and it feels like it's too much out of your control. It's also awkward getting into vehicles and then getting shot during the animation. It's all just a little frustrating. But I guess that's Battlefield, I just didn't feel like that when playing BF3 and 4. Maybe they are trying too hard to be realistic/immersive, I don't know.

Also still plenty of bugs in the "beta" (it's really just a demo/marketing tool with the added benefit of some free testing) so I hope they get them out before release. Sometimes not being able to climb/jump/vault over a rock/wall that's only like 20 cm high, really awkward. Guns not firing. I once spawned in the train and the crosshair wasn't lined up with where my bullets went. I would shoot into the ground while aiming in the sky.

Overall it's really not a bad game but I'm a little disappointed for some reason.

(playing on PS4)
    Last edited by Gilian; 2016-08-31 at 08:23 AM.

Playing it on xbox one right now and dling to try my 1070 on it while i sleep. For the most part its smooth on console except when you need to go into the menu, it lags and just gums up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beta couldn't have released at a worse time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    It looks really badass that's for sure. I was really excited about the beta coming this weekend but I am not really feeling it... it plays kinda awkward in my opinion. I'm not sure what it is. It sometimes feels like you have to put a hundred rounds into someone for them to die while it feels like you die very easily (maybe I just suck balls). I can be in a vehicle on a machine gun spraying the shit out of people and they just won't die. I know it's supposed to be like that but at some point I just feel like I am done with it and I say "fuck this" and move on shooting at something else instead... it's just annoying. It's also rather annoying getting shot from somewhere and not knowing wth is going on. It's really hard to orientate and it feels like it's too much out of your control. It's also awkward getting into vehicles and then getting shot during the animation. It's all just a little frustrating. But I guess that's Battlefield, I just didn't feel like that when playing BF3 and 4. Maybe they are trying too hard to be realistic/immersive, I don't know.

Also still plenty of bugs in the "beta" (it's really just a demo/marketing tool with the added benefit of some free testing) so I hope they get them out before release. Sometimes not being able to climb/jump/vault over a rock/wall that's only like 20 cm high, really awkward. Guns not firing. I once spawned in the train and the crosshair wasn't lined up with where my bullets went. I would shoot into the ground while aiming in the sky.

Overall it's really not a bad game but I'm a little disappointed for some reason.

(playing on PS4)
    Probably you just got disenchanted - as did I. While the game looks great and performs VERY smooth, it has little to offer. All it does (quiet spectacular, I admit) is throw graphics at you. There is no difference inbetween Star Wars Battlefront and this game.

I strongly disagree with realism and the immersion. While it is awkward to see Stormtroopers bunnyhop it is downright stupid in a WW1 game. With armoured vehicles driveby shooting into enemy lines it just feels off. While sound and graphics look and sound amazing I'm just not there. If Battlefront did one thing right it was catching the atmosphere.

I'm very disapointed with Battlefield one, and i'm definatly not paying for it. Maybe my expectations were to high after the quiet bland and boring battlefront, but to me, this is the exact same game. In brownish green.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Probably you just got disenchanted - as did I. While the game looks great and performs VERY smooth, it has little to offer. All it does (quiet spectacular, I admit) is throw graphics at you. There is no difference inbetween Star Wars Battlefront and this game.

I strongly disagree with realism and the immersion. While it is awkward to see Stormtroopers bunnyhop it is downright stupid in a WW1 game. With armoured vehicles driveby shooting into enemy lines it just feels off. While sound and graphics look and sound amazing I'm just not there. If Battlefront did one thing right it was catching the atmosphere.

I'm very disapointed with Battlefield one, and i'm definatly not paying for it. Maybe my expectations were to high after the quiet bland and boring battlefront, but to me, this is the exact same game. In brownish green.
    There is plenty of difference? You dont have to run to a random desert spot to pickup a tank or a plane.... And if your spraying the shit out of someone they die, if they dont your fucking missing them. Its pretty easy.

10+ Year Old Account

I only got to play for an hour so far but it only feels like Battlefront because DICE made both, so they have similar "mannerisms" but the weight and feel of everything is a lot different.

I got my ass handed to me my first round, haven't played Battlefield since the PS4 came out, tried to play it like COD and get merked. Did a lot better my second game. I kniw it's beta but I wish there was a tutorial /empty map for some stuff.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    There is plenty of difference? You dont have to run to a random desert spot to pickup a tank or a plane.... And if your spraying the shit out of someone they die, if they dont your fucking missing them. Its pretty easy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYLqgVuvP8

Works as intended I guess. Still sucks I have to hit him with 10 bullets to kill him from not THAT far away.

And some machine guns on vehicles are really weak. They really do feel like you are shooting with a nerfgun. Then others, the ones that are set up on rooftops, are insanely strong. Just now I took out 4 snipers who were sitting on that mountain between F and G flag (that bridge) from the top of a building at C flag. The range on those things is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

I only played the Battlefront beta and BF4 not Hardline. If you played them all BF1 might feel a little bland I guess.

After some more matches I got the hang of it a little better so I am having more fun now. Still a lot of bugs and it definitely needs some tweaks here and there.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2016-09-02 at 10:47 AM.

I'm so jealous. How to play beta?

The setting and environment are such a huge turnoff here. Open deserts, Arabian style looks, old-school weaponry, I dunno. It just didn't grab me at all like previous battlefields. Could be because Overwatch changed my FPS goals a bit but the entire time I played the beta all I could think was "fuck I really want to play Battlefield 3 or 4 now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    The setting and environment are such a huge turnoff here. Open deserts, Arabian style looks, old-school weaponry, I dunno. It just didn't grab me at all like previous battlefields. Could be because Overwatch changed my FPS goals a bit but the entire time I played the beta all I could think was "fuck I really want to play Battlefield 3 or 4 now."
    The entire game isnt in the desert dude, this is one battlfield. ww1 mostly took place in europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Another one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcAlwiPEAPU

1st bullet hits him in the shoulder for 8 damage and at least one in his ass that doesn't register. Then I shoot him in the feet/legs several times but those don't register either. Then I get (if I counted right) 12 hitmarkers on his upper body. 95 damage in total, so 7,25 damage per hit (so probably 11 hits/8 dmg per hit which makes more sense) while I have my gun in his face. That's a fucking joke. And other times I just two burst people. It's really inconsistent. But I guess I am just missing? I had to fire 27 bullets to almost kill him just to get turned on by a scout with a sniperrifle.

And other times you fire random shots across the map and you get a kill. Only in Battlefield.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2016-09-04 at 09:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

1st bullet hits him in the shoulder for 8 damage and at least one in his ass that doesn't register. Then I shoot him in the feet/legs several times but those don't register either. Then I get (if I counted right) 12 hitmarkers on his upper body. 95 damage in total, so 7,25 damage (so probably 11 hits/8 dmg per hit which makes more sense) per hit while I have my gun in his face. That's a fucking joke. And other times I just two burst people. It's really inconsistent. But I guess I am just missing? I had to fire 27 bullets to almost kill him just to get turned on by a scout with a sniperrifle.

And other times you fire random shots across the map and you get a kill. Only in Battlefield.
    That looked like a bunny-hop. (aka get immune to all damage when jumping)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

1st bullet hits him in the shoulder for 8 damage and at least one in his ass that doesn't register. Then I shoot him in the feet/legs several times but those don't register either. Then I get (if I counted right) 12 hitmarkers on his upper body. 95 damage in total, so 7,25 damage per hit (so probably 11 hits/8 dmg per hit which makes more sense) while I have my gun in his face. That's a fucking joke. And other times I just two burst people. It's really inconsistent. But I guess I am just missing? I had to fire 27 bullets to almost kill him just to get turned on by a scout with a sniperrifle.

Or only in a bf beta game with desync issues....

There is a serious lack of vehicles. Tank respawn time is way too long and you can't directly spawn into transport vehicles for god knows what reason. Plenty of planes though.

The tank gameplay itself is pretty fun, but yet again they are super easy to kill. It will be really cool to have all your squad in a tank, though.
    The cavalry is quite cool, can be challenging.
    Though I do love the ground combat and destruction. It's very chaotic and fun, always a rush when I play ground infantry. But as a vehicle lover, BF1 has greatly disappointed me. Hopefully there will be more vehicles on the other maps.
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2016-09-04 at 11:19 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

You seem surprised. Dice haven't exactly built a reputation for putting in some effort the last few years or so. I have heard nothing but gripes about how they just reskinned Star Wars Battlefront from friends who have tried the beta, which I am not at all surprised that they did just slap a new skin on an old game. Clearly they didn't learn their lesson about pissing off their fans though.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    There is a serious lack of vehicles. Tank respawn time is way too long and you can't directly spawn into transport vehicles for god knows what reason. Plenty of planes though.

The tank gameplay itself is pretty fun, but yet again they are super easy to kill. It will be really cool to have all your squad in a tank, though.
    The cavalry is quite cool, can be challenging.
    Though I do love the ground combat and destruction. It's very chaotic and fun, always a rush when I play ground infantry. But as a vehicle lover, BF1 has greatly disappointed me. Hopefully there will be more vehicles on the other maps.

I prefered the way of old where you couldnt direct spawn into anything, you had to spawn at a base then hop in it.