Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyindor View Post
    Could be kind of cool and make the Loremaster less lame
    I hope they don't.

Going back to Elwynn and having to deal with level 110 kobolds? No thanks, dude.

it would be...interesting, but also doesnt make much sense as zones have different difficulty setting for a reason. i would rather see an option for old raids to be rescaled first than the zones.

I´d love that, however I´d also be fine with an expansion kind of scaling as it has been suggested throughout this thread already.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see old world content being scaled from lvl 1 through 60 and the other expansions being scaled from 60-100 (this restriction is needed because of flying being required in certain zones and it being unlocked at lvl 60), while keeping the latest expansion as the go to zone for the final levels. It would solve a bunch of issues in regards to out-levelling zones before finishing the quests and open up more variety in regards to how you would like to level your characters.

The Legion zones and the Invasions proved to me that this can be achieved in a satisfying way, so I would be all for seeing more scaling, both in the outdoor world as well as indoor content like Dungeons.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2016-08-31 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    I hope not, mate.
    There's quite a few of us who would be outraged by the decision--alright, outraged is to extreme but very put off by it. Damn it, you outlevel zones in an MMO. You don't go back to Hellfire pennisala and struggle with Helboars; they were terrible back in the day. Enough of them. You outlevel and outgear content, that's kind of the point. You have to feel progression and that would eat away at it, hell it would fundamentally dissolve it.

I don't know, I think the OP might be on to something.... But I think it for different reasons. My reasons come from Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech (which just had its 53rd anniversary a few days ago). I think it's time we had equality in Azeroth!

For 11+ years my toons have quested and raided and become stronger. They have lived the Azerothian Dream and become wealthy and powerful beyond imagination. From their humble beginnings they have worked hard to succeed. But they have done this on the backs of the NPC people. We have oppressed NPC's, kept them down, slaughtered them like animals (to be fair, some were animals). And for most of them they are no better off than they were in Vanilla Alpha.

It's time NPC's had the same opportunities, when the NPC's of Southshore, of Westfall, of Tanaris, have their day to shine too. Let them level. Let them achieve the glory of lvl110. Let them also achieve the Azerothian Dream!!

I wouldn't mind it in a limited way.

Keep a minimum level for the zone, so lowbies would still have to follow level paths.

Have a maximum level for the zone, so high-levels could come back and thrash the mobs that killed them while leveling. :-)

So, for instance, a zone that currently is for levels 20-25 will only get you halfway (if that) through the content before you out-level it, and you have to go to the next zone.

But if you were to keep the baseline as level 20, and extend the maximum expected levels to 30 (maybe 35 max?), then you could get the full story line before you have to move on.

You'd have to redo all the mobs to scale, but that shouldn't be hard: they're either trash mobs (your level), elite mobs (your level, but tougher), or "boss" mobs (your level +1, and tougher).

I think the main problem would be redoing gear, so you get some gear progression...

No. So far i do not feel any more powerful, in fact i feel less powerful because of this dumb scaling. its getting harder and takes longer to kill mobs.

Its just lazy from Blizzard to recycle even more content just so people have something to do. Stop making everything so easy and quickly completed. Level 110 in a day? Absolutely not a problem.

And green mobs is best for melee, or used to when we still had stats that mattered.

Deleted
    I've just posted this on Blizz forums, but it fits here as well...

Many seem to dislike the idea of scaling the whole world and never being able to feel invincible - but my idea is that to scale the 1-100 content, Blizzard should use SCALING BRACKETS.

What I mean by that is that Blizzard should not mix everything and make mobs in e.g. Silverpine scale all the way to level 100 or 110. There should still be a feeling of outleveling the content - it's just that you would no longer outlevel the zone, but rather the whole continent.
    Brackets could look like that:

Bracket 1-10, consisting of the 1-10 zones. These should remain unchanged, as they serve as an introduction to the game and present you the lore of your race.

Bracket 10-60, consisting of all the 10-60 zones. After getting to level 10, you could go in any direction, as long as you remain in Azeroth. Scaling would mean that you would never outlevel the zone while you are half-way through its questline and you would be able to freely choose your path through Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. To give you an example, your road to level 60 could then look like this: Silverpine Forest -> Tanaris -> Southern Barres -> Azshara -> Hillsbrad -> Blasted Lands.

Bracket 60-85 - just combine all the TBC, WotLK and Cata zones. Once you hit 60, you would be able to stay in Azeroth and go straight to zones such as Uldum or Twilight Highlands. Or go to Outland and get to 85 by questing through the TBC content. Or go nuts and quest in a completely random order, such as Scholazar -> -> Hyjal -> Howling Fjord -> Netherstorm. On top of that, REDUCE THE EXP REQUIREMENT for these levels; nowadays you need to complete something like 3 zones in Outland, 3 zones in Northrend and 2 zones in Cata to get 85 - the new bracket could be balanced around completing 5-6 zones before hitting 85.

Bracket 85-100, MoP and WoD - reduce EXP requirement as well, so that the player can get to level 100 in Pandaria or Draenor alone.

As a result, leveling to 100 would be a shorter, but you could actually experience the whole storyline of a given zone instead of rushing forward whenever your questlog becomes filled with green quests.

Does that make any sense?

On the sidenote, assigning dungeons to the brackets would be tricky, though perhaps people would like to have a one big pool of 30 or so dungeons in the 60-85 bracket :P

And how about an option for max-lvl characters to "downgrade" themselves when grouping up with lower level friends?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a way you could do it which has both the benefits and avoids the problems:

You could have it so that zone being scaled to you was something you specifically selected at a war-table-type mechanic (they could also deliver you to the zone). It would also be scaled for heirlooms, so you didn't just one-shot everything. Thus you might be level 25, say, in full heirlooms, and select, say, Darkshire - and it thus scales Darkshire (and mobs, and rewards) for you, and you can stay there until you've done all the quests - it'll keep scaling. Then you select another zone and so on.

I would limit the scaling of any zone to maybe level 90 or 100.

Thus problem with "Level 105 wolves in Elwynn Forest" is completely avoided, because this isn't on by default. People who don't want it, never even have to see it. But if you do, you can - and by making it a bit harder for people with heirlooms you kill two birds with one stone (perhaps they also get even more bonus XP for not getting as much relevant gear or the like).

It could work out, and it's almost certainly doable with current tech.

I do agree that forcing it on everyone wouldn't be positive, but making leveling-by-questing engaging again, letting you actually see ALL the questline of zone before it goes far-green or even grey would be amazing.

EDIT: Guy above also has some good ideas.

Fair counter arguments ITT

The only reason I would want something like this is that if you're going back and running old quests for whatever reason (achieves, rep, bored, whatever) since the stat squish there are some that are impossible at high level as they require you to merely injure an enemy and you 1-shot everything, even running around naked punching stuff.

Although imo a better fix would be having these mobs be incapable of dying and dropping to 1hp and then allowing you to do whatever the quest requires, as more recent expansion quests allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    The only reason I would want something like this is that if you're going back and running old quests for whatever reason (achieves, rep, bored, whatever) since the stat squish there are some that are impossible at high level as they require you to merely injure an enemy and you 1-shot everything, even running around naked punching stuff.

Although imo a better fix would be having these mobs be incapable of dying and dropping to 1hp and then allowing you to do whatever the quest requires, as more recent expansion quests allow.
    Aren't they bringing in a Nerf weapon, for those quests?

E.g., getting poison from scorpions in Durotar, fighting SI7 in Hillsbrad.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxkar25 View Post
    I don't often comment on MMO-C but this is one subject/thread I cannot pass up.

Oh hell no! Constantly being at the level of everything around me in the entire game is why I personally quit playing GW2. I'd much rather feel like I've actually gained power in this game. If any other kinds of scaling were to be introduced, I'd say in the form of temporary events that happen around the world or perhaps a different kind of time walking. Where the mobs meet your level and not the other way around.
    But you did gain power, because leveling at its core equates to giving the player a broader spectrum of abilities and the freedom to access a wider part of the world.

That you kill lower level mobs by simply glaring at them in a game like WoW is a side affect that devs simply haven't paid a lot of attention to until recently. It creates tedium, it effectively shrinks the relevant game world the higher you go in levels, and has no real benefit at all.

Would love it, along with a major overhaul to how mobs react and their abilities. Move away from the idea that lower level mobs have to go down in 2 hits and not do anything but auto-attacks. There are so many neat mechanics in this game, I bet many of them could be added to old mobs.

Legion leveling so far really proves how lackluster the 1-100 leveling experience is... Yes, even Pandaria (of which I'm fangirl AF)...

I have a couple of opinions when it comes to leveling and scaling of content.

The main thing I see is people comparing leveling with in-game power. Leveling is simply a gating mechanic to content and abilities. When we go back and 1 shot the Lich King, it doesn't mean that we are more powerful than him. Per lore, in the game he is still vastly more powerful than the player's character. So going into old content and getting killed by an Elwynn Wolf should actually make sense.

Scaling and game mechanics; I kind of like the fact that all the zones will be relevant to me for questing. But there is one issue that I'm banging my head against right now, it's all too easy. Regardless of where I go mobs at my level are easy to kill, and they don't get stronger. I faceroll all the elites I find, and with the exception of the occasional 110 elite in zones, I don't have to worry about where I adventure too. Which doesn't make that much of an adventure...

This is actually something that TES does fairly well, well Oblivion did a shit job at scaling by Skyrim was a bit better. You could visually identify if a mob was strong or not. Just by looking at them; poorly dressed bandits, smash their heads in, crappy looking skeleton, millions of bones everywhere, knight in shining armor, hard to fight, giant bear, prepare to run, flying dragon priests with glowing death auras, aww.. shit.

Legion just puts everything at your level, it's kind of frustrating that the giant cool looking elite I just faced will die just as fast when I'm level 110 (within reason).

Granted I get the feeling that there is zero in the way of stat increases to these mobs. So the concerns of looking for mats at max level are probably less of an issue. A newly leveled 110 with 2000agi will not be anywhere near the level of a 4000agi mix/max'd 110. And seeing as the mobs stay pretty close to the same power at their respective levels, a 110 with time under their belt will have no issue farming mats.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    Aren't they bringing in a Nerf weapon, for those quests?

E.g., getting poison from scorpions in Durotar, fighting SI7 in Hillsbrad.
    Are they? Do you have a link/source? If they are I missed that in everything else flying around with Legion

I don't. After having played Guild Wars 2 and seeing how long it takes to go back and do low level achievements, I can tell you it just becomes a nuisance.

It's awesome for Legion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    I don't. After having played Guild Wars 2 and seeing how long it takes to go back and do low level achievements, I can tell you it just becomes a nuisance.

It's awesome for Legion though.
    Not to mention it would be ridiculous a toon that killed deathwing, arthas, etc having a tough time killing a regular boar outside orgrimmar.

I'd like them to do it, but with some caveats. They'd scale up to a point. Old world 1-60, Outland 50-80, Northend 60-80, Cata-areas 60-90, Pandaria areas 70-90, and Draenor areas 90-100.