Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Grateful Dead Fan Timothy Tyler Has Been Granted Clemency By Obama, 22 years

LSD used to be considered a hard drug, maybe it still is. 22 years is a big chunk of your life, your best years.

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/gra...-barack-obama/

After 22 years in prison, Grateful Dead fan*Timothy Tyler has been shockingly granted clemency. The man, who was 25 at the time of his arrest and is now 47, was sentenced after continuously (and casually) selling*LSD*to a friend who had secretly been working with the DEA*as an informant. Tyler may have made some mistakes, but getting sent to prison with a life sentence was far too much. Adding to this tragedy is that Tyler's father was also implicated in his sales--simply by Timothy living at his father's home and using his address in the packages he was sending and receiving. Tyler's father was sentenced to 10 years in prison, and died 8 years into his sentence.

This story is extremely sad, but now seems to be heading towards a happy ending. Tyler*has been surprisingly been granted clemency by President Barack Obama*after over 400,000 people signed a petition on Change.org*asking*grant him clemency. Now Tim can see his 70-year old mother, and he can see his beloved Grateful Dead (or something similar to it) once more.*Kudos to President Obama for changing up the way America approaches clemency for non-violent offenders.
    Click here*to read more about Tyler's harrowing tale, and be happy to know that he will soon be out of prison!

In celebration of his pending release, watch a video of Tyler's favorite song, "Althea", from a Grateful Dead performance in 1979

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    ............What!? 22 years for seeling LSD? ... WHAT!? That's just... I have no words for that!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    ............What!? 22 years for seeling LSD? ... WHAT!? That's just... I have no words for that!
    American politics at its finest. If we cant control the product, you get a life sentence for selling it.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    American politics at its finest. If we cant control the product, you get a life sentence for selling it.
    That's one thing, but TWENTY-FREAKING-TWO YEARS!? O.O I'm utterly flabbergasted at that

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Yup, I'm surprised he got what he deserved. Justice isn't always fair, sometimes it's too lenient but in this case he got what he deserved. Just thinking at how many lives these drug vendors ruin it's good he stood in prison.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Yup, I'm surprised he got what he deserved. Justice isn't always fair, sometimes it's too lenient but in this case he got what he deserved. Just thinking at how many lives these drug vendors ruin it's good he stood in prison.
    Did the LSD ruin people's lives or did the laws against it ruin people's lives?

10+ Year Old Account
    What does Grateful Dead have to do with anything?

No, he got LIFE... lets not get that twisted. Got life and released EARLY at 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    the whole thing about how he was touring with them and dealing drugs?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Wikipedia gives us a likely reason for the release:

Tyler, who had girlfriends before his incarceration, now identifies as bisexual; he began to engage in sexual activity with men while in prison in search of companionship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_L._Tyler

Puffs the story up and turns a mass drug dealer into regular ol' joe thus making him likable to people who don't know any better.

Over 13,000 hits of acid.

He wasn't just a guy walking around with a "small quantity" in his pocket.

He was a major dealer.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

I think he got some support from the fan base over the years, they're a really tight group, the fans are called the Dead Heads.

22 years later

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Life sentence for dealing drugs, what a complete and utter crock of shit and waste of of a life. I say make all drugs legal and let people be responsible for their own addictions. People want to do drugs, what ever happens is on them.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Life sentence for dealing drugs, what a complete and utter crock of shit and waste of of a life. I say make all drugs legal and let people be responsible for their own addictions. People want to do drugs, what ever happens is on them.
    Just don't send them to jail? Seems to me they used/sold the drugs and the whatever happens(jail) is on them.

This guy was a repeated offender and probably should have stayed locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    LSD is one of the least dangerous drug's out there, get the fuck over yourself, go read an article or two on real facts based in real life.

But this doesn't surprise me at all when it comes to american justice system, crime is profit for prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    LSD is one of the least dangerous drug's out there,
    Link some LD50 studies. I'm pretty sure, just as the drug itself, there are zero cases of overdose. Compare that to Tylenol.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being caught with like 1 gram of weed is a 2 years minimum sentence iirc.

MINIMUM SENTENCES ARE FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Being caught with like 1 gram of weed is a 2 years minimum sentence iirc.

MINIMUM SENTENCES ARE FUN!
    Depends where you live. My state de-criminalized pot a few years ago. That means it's the same "crime" as an under-18 kid having cigarettes, unless there's evidence to sell. Can have up to an ounce, which is a fuckton otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Depends where you live. My state de-criminalized pot a few years ago. That means it's the same "crime" as an under-18 kid having cigarettes, unless there's evidence to sell.
    Federal law still lists it as a 1 year jail for first offence. (possession)

And a 5 year minimum for selling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Wikipedia gives us a likely reason for the release:

Tyler, who had girlfriends before his incarceration, now identifies as bisexual; he began to engage in sexual activity with men while in prison in search of companionship.
    This is funny because it reveals so much more about you than President Obama or Timothy Tyler
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Federal law still lists it as a 1 year jail for first offence. (possession)

And a 5 year minimum for selling.
    Didn't Obama do an Executive Order about Feds not interfering with State laws on that matter?