Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6162278?hl=en

This is what counts as "advertiser unfriendly:"

Isn't this like 90% of YouTube's content?

- - - Updated - - -

And fuck, I misspelled demonetizing in the title.
    are these new?
    I thought it was like this from the start.
    Anyway i like it, the alternative being that Youtube would likely be forced to take down (all) videos people complain about.

They should just let advertisers decide like they do for paper media. You have a wholesome magazine aimed at young mothers? Coke and McDonalds will want to buy your advertising. You have pictures of naked women? Well the only businesses who want to advertise with you are liquor brands and tobacco, condoms too.

I guess the thing is YouTube sells the advertising and they apply it to the video, the video maker doesn't sell their ad space to the business, YouTube does.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Sexually suggestive content, including partial nudity and sexual humor
    Violence, including display of serious injury and events related to violent extremism
    Inappropriate language, including harassment, profanity and vulgar language
    Promotion of drugs and regulated substances, including selling, use and abuse of such items
    Controversial or sensitive subjects and events, including subjects related to war, political conflicts, natural disasters and tragedies, even if graphic imagery is not shown

So anime channels and comedy skit channels banned.
    News banned
    Anything meant for someone who isn't 2 banned.
    Seems... unclear.
    News banned

Wonder if they were pressured into this by the media? Because I'm sure all these videos will still have ads, it's just only google will benefit from them now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I guess the Young Turks just stopped doing the news, then.
    Maybe this isn't so bad after all... silver lining you know.

You know I don't want to sound like one of those cranky old farts who thinks all these uppity young whippersnappers with their YouTubes should just shut up and get real jobs, but all these YouTubers bitching about the demonetization should just shut up and get real jobs. Every website needs to maintain some type of standards lest it become another one of those internet cesspits nobody wants to visit. And sure, maybe YouTube is going too far with this, but the site has been going downhill of late and they are probably wise to get out in front of it before it gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    PewDiePie was recently unverified on Twitter and now he is following only 1 person. Donald Trump.
    Why people care about that youtube swede is beyond me, tried to watch some of his lets plays but he annoyed the fuck out of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    You know I don't want to sound like one of those cranky old farts who thinks all these uppity young whippersnappers with their YouTubes should just shut up and get real jobs, but all these YouTubers bitching about the demonetization should just shut up and get real jobs. Every website needs to maintain some type of standards lest it become another one of those internet cesspits nobody wants to visit. And sure, maybe YouTube is going too far with this, but the site has been going downhill of late and they are probably wise to get out in front of it before it gets worse.
    Most of youtubers stoped using the money option, because its simply not worth it any more and they use donation service instead.

To actuly make money, you need to spam videos. Just so you can farm the clicks. So yeh those lets play videos crap.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6162278?hl=en

This is what counts as "advertiser unfriendly:"

- - - Updated - - -

And fuck, I misspelled demonetizing in the title.
    I saw this, it sounds like they are shooting themselves in their own foot. Google pretty much destroys most web sites the buy, youtube is not to big to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Most of youtubers stoped using the money option, because its simply not worth it any more and they use donation service instead.

To actuly make money, you need to spam videos. Just so you can farm the clicks. So yeh those lets play videos crap.
    Honestly, I just sort of miss the days when YouTubers were just impassioned amateurs making videos about stuff because they liked doing it, not a bunch of bratty quasi-celebrities who are always starting drama with each other and bitching about how the YouTube brass is out to ruin their livelihood or whatever.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, what are they thinking lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Funny, the podcasts I listen to have tons of advertisers who prefer that the comedians do the ads in their own style. That can lead to quite a bit of content in the ads themselves that would violate YouTube's new christian values.
    This is why i hate watching podcasts. I wana watch the content, not listen how good 1 product is for 5 min.

Similar, but you get the idea:
    Don't sweat the details!!!

A lot of those rules are fine, but the ones that mean you can't report the actual news? That's North Korean state television levels of bullshit. If we don't talk about the famine nobody has to starve, right guys? Right?

How far does "political conflicts" go? Can people not talk about elections in their country on monetised videos any more?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Funny, the podcasts I listen to have tons of advertisers who prefer that the comedians do the ads in their own style. That can lead to quite a bit of content in the ads themselves that would violate YouTube's new christian values.
    A big no-no for Youtube since they are the ones that want to run the ads themself. What if the content creator has an ad for a service and google puts an ad for it's competition. I'd bet you 10/10 google will demonitize that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    This is just to take the content down they don't want on it.

It's similar to what you're seeing on Twitter right now. The company doesn't want to financially support people they disagree with.
    This has nothing to do with taking down content... the content simply won't be monetized.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    A lot of those rules are fine, but the ones that mean you can't report the actual news? That's North Korean state television levels of bullshit. If we don't talk about the famine nobody has to starve, right guys? Right?

How far does "political conflicts" go? Can people not talk about elections in their country on monetised videos any more?
    "shocking" content isn't advertiser friendly. Like saying so making a title saying for instance "blah blah killed and tortured!" wouldn't get monetized. Or something mentioning wars wouldn't get monetized. You'd have to reword it.

Same with bigger youtube channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This has nothing to do with taking down content... the content simply won't be monetized.

- - - Updated - - -

"shocking" content isn't advertiser friendly. Like saying so making a title saying for instance "blah blah killed and tortured!" wouldn't get monetized. Or something mentioning wars wouldn't get monetized. You'd have to reword it.

One youtuber I followed had 12 videos taken down this year just by simply reporting the news, it was just the content of the news Youtube found offensive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    Saw something about this earlier and interesting enough some Youtubers were calling bs on YouTube because they already don't follow their own rules. I don't remember where I heard about someone who's gimmick is taking random videos and insulting and mocking them and this person is extremely aggressive when he does this. Apparently there's a rule against that kind of content but since this person pulls millions of views YouTube simply looks the other way. Since is this the case I doubt these new rules will change anything besides giving them way to remove the "wrong" kind of opinions.
    Google are a buncha hypocrites, like you wouldn't believe. There are a lot of channels that blatantly, openly violate their rules that they don't touch. Meanwhile, smaller channels or even irrelevant channels get stomped on.

Welcome to capitalism.

Google is all about helping Hillary and the globalist agenda, so this makes sense. When you can't win by convincing people, just censor.

Do they still show adds on flagged videos, and just prevent the creator from profiting?.
    Will they flag every video commenting on Syrian random boy covered in blood?.
    Will they stop monetization and flag every single news channel?.
    etc etc.
    Too vague, too broad, never consistently applied. Just your average content policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

That isn't the sole thing that's happening here though.

Youtube has a rather substantial history of crap automated systems, so any attempt to clamp down on some rules without any improvements to those systems usually results in a load of collateral damage and very little actual change to what they're targeting.

As we've seen with Kurzgesagt's video being taken down - educational videos, news videos on Philip DeFranco's channel, these sorts of things - they're at risk too. Actual proper content. Same as with the DMCA takedown abuse hitting actual reviews of products where publishers don't want people seeing that review - we'll see another tool added to the arsenal of people who want to hurt creators, a tool which I have little doubt is going to have zero penalties for abuse.

The way to tell that this is bullshit - when a video with a sponsor already on it as part of the video content gets de-monetised. That video clearly isn't advertiser unfriendly, because advertisers have made a direct deal with the creator to put an advert on it. Like Kurzgesagt's video, which has direct sponsorship from Audible, yet is deemed advertiser unfriendly. It's not like Audible are some out there company that you usually only find advertising on dodgy websites.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-09-01 at 01:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When companies are people and have more power than ever.