" I don't think it's gonna start." But is it bad for the car?

I don't know much about cars.

Today I was at a gas station filling my friend's truck. It took 27 gallons of gas.

There was a lady in a mini van next to me. Her van would not start. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say she tried to start it well over 100x when I was filling the truck.....

When I was done filling the truck, she was still trying to start the van.

I walked over and told her "I don't think it will start no matter how many times you try, and it might even be bad for the van to keep trying." She said something about needing to get someplace within 30 minutes. I told her she ought to call a taxi... I offered to push her car into a parking spot. She declined, and as I walked away, I heard her try and start the van at least another 5x.

Is that actually bad for the car / van?

10+ Year Old Account
    If it aint starting, its likley better to stop trying at this point and get it towed, or if this gas station also has a mechanic near by, have them look at it.

Its more so an issue of futility IMO since I am no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    I don't know much about cars.

Today I was at a gas station filling my friend's truck. It took 27 gallons of gas.

There was a lady in a mini van next to me. Her van would not start. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say she tried to start it well over 100x when I was filling the truck.....

When I was done filling the truck, she was still trying to start the van.

I walked over and told her "I don't think it will start no matter how many times you try, and it might even be bad for the van to keep trying." She said something about needing to get someplace within 30 minutes. I told her she ought to call a taxi... I offered to push her car into a parking spot. She declined, and as I walked away, I heard her try and start the van at least another 5x.

Is that actually bad for the car / van?
    You will drain the battery but it shouldn't hurt the car, if it was an older van she probably flooded it but I don't see it being that not to many of those on the road these days.