Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

13-14 Inch Ultrabook for WoW

Hey everyone!

Since Patch 7.0.3 I experienced some huge fps just like many of us... and since I'm playing on a 13 inch Retina Macbook Pro they're some extra heavy fps drops...

So what I'm looking for is a 13-14 Inch Ultrabook (or Laptop/Notebook... whatever you call it) with a i7 4-core processor, 16gb ram, minimum 256gb ssd and preferably with a dedictated graphics card... I don't want no integrated graphics card by Intel anymore...

But another really important factor is the form, it must be slim & light like a MacBook Pro... not a thick thing like an Alienware Notebook...

Do you know if there's something like this available? I'd already buy a Razer Blade... but there's no Germany QWERTZ keyboard layout available...

Well if you want gaming in a 14" package The MSI Phantom Pro-006 14 Is basically your only option right now, although there do seem to be some wifi issues according to some reviews. And of course It seems to only come with a 128gb ssd and a 1tb hdd, so I don't know if that fits into your list very well.

As you said, there is the Razer Blade, also Alienware has some decent options, Asus zenbooks, and Gigabyte might have something, but overall a gaming notebook that is 14" and has all that you desire is hard to come by.

You're not going to get a worthwhile gaming performer in a form factor like the MBP - other than maybe the Razer Blade, which is close (but still slightly bigger and heavier) and doesn't actually have an amazing laptop GPU unless you shell out some serious cash.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You're not going to get a worthwhile gaming performer in a form factor like the MBP - other than maybe the Razer Blade, which is close (but still slightly bigger and heavier) and doesn't actually have an amazing laptop GPU unless you shell out some serious cash.
    I guess you mean the 12 inch Razer Blade Stealth, but the 14 inch is actually pretty dope with a GTX1070 (even if it's underclocked there)... I'm not trying to compete with a desktop pc graphic experience... but I want to see a slight difference to my 2014 MacBook Pro Retina's Intel Iris 5200 (or 5100) GPU.

These are my current choices:
    - ASUS UX310-GL011T (13-inch Full HD, i7-6500U, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 940M 2GB)
    - Dell XPS 13 9350 (13-inch QHD Touch, i7-6500U, 16GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 520)
    - The upcoming MacBook Pro Retina 2016 (13-inch, choosing there 16GB Ram, the mid-tier CPU)

I sent Razer a question asking if they know already about a German Keyboard Layout, but they only said "we'll get to know soon!"... hm!

Do you think I will actually see a notable difference when moving from my current MacBook Pro (with a 2,6Ghz i5) to one of the mentioned above... all of them have newer cpu's and gpu's but I'm not sure if it's remarkable...

Deleted
    I've been doing some more detailed research... and made a excel sheet for the decision... maybe you guys can recommend me another one I didn't find yet.

docs.google. com/spreadsheets/d/1kZ3zEPY4pZZU4DErz85TjUBudJz38bMnOEfjBFXD09o/edit?usp=sharing

I posted there also my current MacBook Pro and the same equivalent of the current generation, I'm still waiting for the new generation to be announced soon to see what it delivers.

Moved to Computer Build / Upgrade Help.

Have you looked at the Dell XPS15 9550?

Due to the near bezel-less design, it's the size of most other 14" laptops.

It also has quad-core i7 and a GeForce GTX960m in most configurations (I'm sure this will be 1060m in a refresh), it's between 4-4.4 pounds, depending on your battery config.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Those things only have 1GB of video memory, they will barely cut it.

Currently, the best setup is looking to be the new Asus Transformer 3 Pro which will run on Windows 10, comes with a dedicated 1 GB Nvidia GPu like the Surface Book at a much better price point. It also has support for the new Asus ROG XG Station 2 external GPU which will allow you to pack in cards up to a GTX1080

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdeath9687 View Post
    Have you looked at the Dell XPS15 9550?

Due to the near bezel-less design, it's the size of most other 14" laptops.

It also has quad-core i7 and a GeForce GTX960m in most configurations (I'm sure this will be 1060m in a refresh), it's between 4-4.4 pounds, depending on your battery config.
    The Dell XPS 15 9550 looks pretty nice, didn't know it was actually the size of a 14" inch one. Is there any news about a upcoming refresh? I plan to buy my new laptop by October, so I hope there will be news about this one or the Razer Blade with a German Keyboard Layout...

Deleted
    How well would a macbook air run wow for questing but mot raiding?

- - - Updated - - -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It will overheat very quickly, plus I highly doubt it will have enough performance to run the game.

Few years ago I've been playing on MBA 13" with HD4000, on minimal settings. I t was playable, but quite shitty (15-25 fps in raids). Afaik Intel iGPU evolve every year, so with modern CPU you'll have decent 30-ish fps I believe: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H....125588.0.html

xxx

OP: I'd wait 4-6 months for gtx1060/1070 machines. Also, since QWERTZ ain't that different from QWERTY, I'd just remap the keyboard in OS.

Deleted
    Im just after something very portsble to do stuff at lunch time or on the train etc.

Im not expecting to raid on it though lfr would be a bonus.

Might look at a macbook 12 or pro.

Im just after something very portsble to do stuff at lunch time or on the train etc.

The Macbook Air has a weak low clock CPU and the plain Macbook has an even weaker CPU than that.

Deleted
    So a macbook pro might be ok?

Ill be bootcamping windows im not totally insane

It looks good in coffee shops.

I'm 98% sure New MacBook is a no go, but MBA will be good enough. And if you're looking for a portability, difference between MBA 13 and MBP 13 is too huge, MBA is a king. But, ofc, MBP is more capable machine, for example my colleague is playing Heroes of the Storm on MBP and he's fine, while my experience on MBA few years ago was miserable even on lowest settings. But for WoW, again, it should be ok.

Deleted
    Why would anyone play on a laptop, and a laptop with a small shit screen at that? :P

I wouldnt be able to play on anything less than 24" 144HZ minimum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhen View Post
    Why would anyone play on a laptop, and a laptop with a small shit screen at that? :P

I wouldnt be able to play on anything less than 24" 144HZ minimum.
    Because i cant afford 90 mile long power and ethernet cables?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingerie View Post
    I'm 98% sure New MacBook is a no go, but MBA will be good enough. And if you're looking for a portability, difference between MBA 13 and MBP 13 is too huge, MBA is a king. But, ofc, MBP is more capable machine, for example my colleague is playing Heroes of the Storm on MBP and he's fine, while my experience on MBA few years ago was miserable even on lowest settings. But for WoW, again, it should be ok.
    I'm not even sure the CPU in the MBA even meets the minimum thresholds for clock speeds. The i5/i7 mobile chips have a turbo boost on them but I'm thinking that's for single core only and who knows how long the machine can sustain it thermally. New areas (MoP and later) would probably kill the computer.