Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which country has the best developers?

Had to link to a chached copy of the page

I think when they say "developer" they have it wrong. You don't have to be the best programmer in the world to "develop" successful websites. Mostly you have to know how to make a pleasing and user friendly website and how to connect it to a credit card processing company, and have a good idea for a business.

I would change it from "developer" to "programmer", a person you might hire to write a video card driver if you were a video card manufacturer.

This website ranked "developers" by using data they collected with their programming challenges.

Much more to read at the link

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Which country has the best developers?

By domain

Which countries have the best programmers in the world?

Many would assume it’s the United States. After all, the United States is the home of programming luminaries such as Bill Gates, Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, and Donald Knuth. But then again, India is known as the fastest growing concentration of programmers in the world*and the hackers*from Russia are apparently pretty*effective. Is there any way to determine which country is best?

We decided to examine our data to answer this question: which countries do the best at programming challenges on HackerRank?

At HackerRank, we regularly post tens of thousands of new coding challenges for developers to improve their coding skills. Hundreds of thousands of developers from all over the world come to participate in challenges in a variety of languages and knowledge domains, from Python to algorithms to security to distributed systems. *Our community is growing everyday, with over 1.5 million developers ranked.

Developers are scored and ranked based on a combination of their accuracy and speed.

According to our data, China and Russia score as the most talented developers. Chinese programmers outscore all other countries in mathematics, functional programming, and data structures challenges, while Russians dominate in algorithms, the most popular and most competitive arena. While the United States and India provide the majority of competitors on HackerRank, they only manage to rank 28th and 31st.*

The most popular domain by far is algorithms, with nearly 40% all developers competing. This domain includes challenges on sorting data, dynamic programming, and searching for keywords and other logic-based tasks. For algorithms tests, developers can use whichever language they choose, which may partially explain why it’s so popular. Algorithms are also crucial for coding interviews, so it could explain why more coders would practice algorithm challenges. At a distant second and third, Java and data structures coming in at about 10% each. Distributed systems and security are our least popular tests, though we still receive thousands of completed challenges in those areas.

So based on these tests, which country has the programmers that score the highest?

In order to find out, we looked at each country’s average score across all domains. We standardized the scores for each domain (by subtracting the mean from each score and then dividing by the standard deviation; also known as a z-score) before finding the average. This allows us to make an apples-to-apple comparison of individual scores across different domains, even if some domains are more challenging than others. We then converted these z-scores into a 1-100 scale for easy interpretation.

Since China scored the highest, Chinese developers sit at the top of the list with a score of 100. But China only won by a hair. Russia scored 99.9 out of 100, while Poland and Switzerland round out the top rankings with scores near 98. Pakistan scores only 57.4 out of 100 on the index.
    The two countries that contribute the greatest number of developers, India and the United States don’t place in the top half. India ranks 31st, with an overall score of 76 and the United States falls in at 28th, with a score of 78.

Though China outperformed everyone else on average, they didn’t dominate across the board. Which country produces the best developers in particular skill areas? Let’s take a look at the top countries in each domain.

China did quite well in a number of domains. Chinese developers beat out the competition in data structures, mathematics, and functional programming.*On the other hand, Russia dominates in algorithms, the domain with the most popular challenges. Coming next, Poland and China nearly tie for second and third place, respectively.
    What explains the different performance levels of different countries across domains? One possible explanation is that Russians are just more likely to participate in algorithms and therefore get more practice in that domain, while Chinese developers are disproportionately drawn to data structures.
    Software engineer Shimi Zhang is one such programmer who ranked among the top 10 programmers in our Functional Programming domain. He hails from China’s city of Chongqing, and moved to the US just two years ago to get his master’s in computer science before coming to work at HackerRank.

On the greatness of Chinese programmers, from top-rankedChinese competitive *programmer Shimi Zhang:
    In universities and colleges, education resources are relatively fewer in*comparison with many other countries, so students have less choices in their paths to programming. Many great students end up obsessed with competitive programming since it’s one of the few paths.

China even has*a big population*of students who started programming in middle school and high school. They’re trying to solve some hard challenges only few people in this world can solve.
    They even host*national programming contests for young programmers, like*NOIp (national olympiad in informatics in provinces) and NOI*(national olympiad in informatics). And after CTSC (China Team Selection Contest), 4 geniuses go to IOI (international olympiad in informatics), and at least 3 have*won*a gold medal*this year. This has been the trend for nearly*10 years.
    It’s*an even greater achievement considering a* special rule: if you had won a gold medal once, you won’t be selected for future IOI team, that means, most IOI team member from China won gold medal with their first try.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2016-09-04 at 05:30 AM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Didn't read the excerpt. I do hackerrank challenges all the time. Literally like 2 or 3 a week. Those competitions have nothing to do with being a good developer. The vast majority of their challenges are algorithms based. Algorithms != development.

Also, India really destroys the rankings. I'm not saying India is the best, but they vastly overpopulate the rankings compared to other countries.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw that "Domain" scoresheet is garbage. Domain things aren't even contests so they don't represent anything. You literally have infinite time to solve the problems whenever you find and try their website.

7+ Year Old Account
    So is HackerRank a competition like Kaggle?

https://www.kaggle.com/rankings
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-09-04 at 05:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Hubcap, you did well in establishing a diferentiation betwin a dev (or a acessor) and a programer, but you did it wrong, a good programer is nothing without a good dev, take Nasa as an example, the Dev is the one that is going to say the programer how the program is suposed to work, just because the programer will most likely have no clue about technicall details.

I am a c++ programmer, never did hacker rank, not even once. I also know a top-tier programmer myself, who though me programming. He never visits such sites as well. Finally, none of by developer friends practice in this site. This could be misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    @Hubcap, you did well in establishing a diferentiation betwin a dev (or a acessor) and a programer, but you did it wrong, a good programer is nothing without a good dev, take Nasa as an example, the Dev is the one that is going to say the programer how the program is suposed to work, just because the programer will most likely have no clue about technicall details.
    Yeah, thinking about it more. The people, the devs, who created Twitch had to have had some good programmers. The devs had this crazy dream of a website were you could get an audience who'd watch you play games, who'd want to watch someone else play a game? And they hired a lot of programmers to make it a reality.

And even typical commercial websites, if you start getting thousands or hundreds of thousands, or millions of hits a day, you're going to need some programmer types to make sure your website handles all that traffic.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

How could Greece possibly be higher than the UK, the US, India and Israel?

I would guess the US. Anyone with talent ends up there.

10+ Year Old Account
    China and Russia have always been great at preparing for all kinds of competitions/tests, that's how they, for example, tend to take top places on the math olympiad. Of course, scoring well at a test/competition doesn't mean you are a good developer, it simply means that you are good at preparing for the test/competition.

Poland takes the third spot - can you think of anything relevant in the world developed there? Well, Witcher games, but that's about it! Of course, maybe they are incredibly good in some specialized subfields, who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Poland takes the third spot - can you think of anything relevant in the world developed there?
    Racist much?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Racist much?
    Polish is a race now?

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    How do you even rate a developer? Isnt that really subjective?

The U.S. develops the bulk of the world's software, so I have a hard time believing the validity of this chart when we're ranked 28th.

I dunno, USA probably developed the best games. UK does pretty well (Well, GTA and Worms are awesome )

What was the question again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    If we held a hacking Olympics today, our data suggests that China would win the gold, Russia would take home a silver, and Poland would nab the bronze.
    Results are similar with Google Code Jam and that international coding competition.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    Results are similar with Google Code Jam and that international coding competition.
    I'd have thought Israel would be up there, what with a huge chunk of stuxnet being allegedly developed in Israel. Maybe it was talking about conventional website compromising, though, rather than developing 0-day hacks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    The U.S. develops the bulk of the world's software, so I have a hard time believing the validity of this chart when we're ranked 28th.
    Employed programmers tend to have much less free time for mostly unpaid competitive programming.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Poland takes the third spot - can you think of anything relevant in the world developed there? Well, Witcher games, but that's about it! Of course, maybe they are incredibly good in some specialized subfields, who knows...
    Over in Europe, it's pretty common to outsource some of your work to Poland. They have a really strong software development industry and tend to be really cheap for how good they are. These aren't some Indian hacks half a continent away, but genuinely top notch programmers and project managers 'right next door'. I won't try to rank them on some arbitrary scale, but I can definitely confirm that they have a great reputation in the software world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I dunno, USA probably developed the best games. UK does pretty well (Well, GTA and Worms are awesome )

What was the question again?
    Best games is subjective. Japan has reigned king of video game development since the 80s.

What country do the people who designed Ele Shama come from?

Because that country has got to be last.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN