Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Megathread] Mafia III

I am considering getting it, it looks like fun but I have never played a Mafia game before.

If its half as good as GTAV I think ill love it.

Edit: Clearly I can't read dates when I am running on no sleep, release date is Oct 7th.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-09-05 at 08:59 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Tomorrow is October 7th?

I've played Mafia 2, and I enjoyed it. I def plan picking up this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If its half as good as GTAV I think ill love it.
    I don't think mafia should ever be compared with GTA, setting people up for disappointment unless they changed they game of course.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I don't think mafia should ever be compared with GTA, setting people up for disappointment unless they changed they game of course.
    For the past Mafia games indeed, but Rockstar North helped with this game and it seems to have more over the top gameplay in line with GTA. From the feels I get it's going to be far more like GTA then the previous 2 games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mafia 2 was pretty bad ass -- I'd suggest picking it up (It's like $10 on Steam) and playing it before you go with 3. If you're a fan of cover based games you won't be disappointed....if you enjoy music from the 50s and 60s...you'll be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Tomorrow is October 7th?
    Edited the OP, Clearly I can't read dates when I am running on no sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Mafia 2 was pretty bad ass -- I'd suggest picking it up (It's like $10 on Steam) and playing it before you go with 3. If you're a fan of cover based games you won't be disappointed....if you enjoy music from the 50s and 60s...you'll be pleased.
    I got Mafia 2 a few weeks back on humble bundle, I just haven't played it yet.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    Not a great start, game launched with 30 fps lock, developers spewed a short excuse about hard life of balancing all platforms and promised a patch soon™.

The hard lock 30fps is shitty but at the same time they do have a point.

Nether you nore I know how to develop games and they may want to make sure 60fps doesn't break the game before unlocking it. There is MANYYYY games that give u a unlocked fps choice and yet the game breaks when you do it.

I got it on ps4 so the fps doesn't matter to me any. Sucks for those who want 60fps+ on PC, but it will come you just got to wait.

Finishing up GoW4 then going to check Mafia III out

While some could say that the devs could have tested everything before release, we don't know if that would have delayed the game or not.

30fps lock sucks but its not world ending and they have done said a patch will come to unlock it.

The 30 fps lock is less of an issue then the repetitive Just Cause nature of the game where you do the same missions 20x over until you hit a thresh hold and the area boss comes out for you.

And yes this is required to progress the main story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The 30 fps lock is less of an issue then the repetitive Just Cause nature of the game where you do the same missions 20x over until you hit a thresh hold and the area boss comes out for you.

And yes this is required to progress the main story.
    Ouch, this sounds like a game I'll pick up for $20 at some point, was genuinely interested in this.

Just played it for a bit.

Just stopped Right after clay gets shot and his family killed, so I'm not super far

Enjoying it a lot so far. I do find it odd that u can't pick up hookers and all but yet you collect playboy mags lol.

Was tempted to buy it off the bat because it looks good and I need something to play. The 30fps cap put a stop to that. No chance i'm trusting a pc port to be of any quality when they can't even offer a decent fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Was tempted to buy it off the bat because it looks good and I need something to play. The 30fps cap put a stop to that. No chance i'm trusting a pc port to be of any quality when they can't even offer a decent fps.
    From what I been hearing the only issue with the port is the cap. If you are ok with playing at 30fps I hear the game runs fine.

From what I been hearing the only issue with the port is the cap. If you are ok with playing at 30fps I hear the game runs fine.
    From steam reviews i'm seeing a lot of crashing complaints. Granted I take steam reviews with a grain of salt. I'm not happy about 30fps, far from it but with an update for unlocked coming I can live with it. At this point i'm just waiting for reviews to hit. I don't care about repetitive missions (another complaint I've been hearing) as long as the core gameplay is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    From steam reviews i'm seeing a lot of crashing complaints. Granted I take steam reviews with a grain of salt. I'm not happy about 30fps, far from it but with an update for unlocked coming I can live with it. At this point i'm just waiting for reviews to hit. I don't care about repetitive missions (another complaint I've been hearing) as long as the core gameplay is fun.
    So far I am enjoying it a lot and I have never played a mafia game. I know a few streamers I fallow are playing it and currently Angryjoe is playing it if u want to check his stream out.

But ya like you I take steam reviews with a massive grain of salt.

My experience is the ps4 version tho.

Game looks amazing.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-10-08 at 04:28 AM.

Game looks amazing.
    It does, and the story is also interesting.

Unfortunately it feels more like a chore then fun to get to the next story mission sometimes, which you don't experience right at the start. Not sure if I will bother to finish any time soon due to this.

Not so great on pc on the technical side.

FPS lock, graphics are a bit iffy and crashing.

Looks like a non optimized console port that they just rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    Not so great on pc on the technical side.

FPS lock, graphics are a bit iffy and crashing.

Looks like a non optimized console port that they just rushed.
    No crashes so far, but even maxed out the graphics are really disappointing.

And the "cloud shadow" effect is driving me nuts ...
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Game frankly feels unfinished, which is a massive disappointment because there's a great game here. So much good mixed with so much mediocre.

The core game concepts feel good, driving is fluid and combat is great. The animations are fantastic, especially gun shot hit animations and melee executions, they're some of the best I've ever seen. The stealth sections feel solid enough and the story looks great from what i've seen. Excellent voice acting and they've nailed the setting as well, it's a stand out.

However the 30fps lock is unforgivable, I've been playing at 100-144fps these days that it's really jarring to drop down to 30, it suffers a lot from this. The textures are a mixed bag, as well as the effects. It looked amazing when I was sitting in the river/swamp with the mist and water effects which was followed by seeing some really poor road textures. There's also this weird blur I've been noticing on certain things, it's like a texture is loading in but it never appears.

There's also some really strange decisions that makes me think it wasn't ready for release. Besides some of the strangest key mapping i've seen in awhile it has one of the most bizarre design decisions I've ever seen. The ability to do lethal or non-lethal take downs is IN THE GAME OPTIONS. You have to pause and go through various menu screens to flip lethal and non-lethal on and off. It's such a bizarre choice in a game where there's so much murder but still presents morals as something to consider.

It's not a bad game imo, I'm quite enjoying it atm with 3 hours played but it has some jarring issues that simply shouldn't be present in a title like this. I don't regret the purchase, I think i'll get my worth out of the game but it's definitely something I would've rather picked up during a decent sale.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2016-10-08 at 10:01 AM.