Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    So was I doing my opener correctly, minus the me not using RoP?
    Almost. I get what they mean about casting combust too early. It can be cast during another spell, so you always cast it as the other spell is almost finished. You might even he able to cast it while the spell is in the air. That way, all that time spent casting isn't letting combustion tick down unused. Also, you want to precast pyroblast if you can to get a bigger ignite ticking (not as easy in dungeon runs).

Quote Originally Posted by Rumstein View Post
    Just getting into Fire Mage myself, but is this how you should be opening.
    Precast pyroblast, RoP + Combust + Trinkets, Phoenix (+FB if precast didnt crit), Pyro,...

You should always be using combustion at the end of casting rune, or the end of combust will lose that 50% bonus, which is especially important, because of pyretic incantation. Either that or at the end of rune you won't have combustion. Because of this, you can't cast combustion at the end of a spell that can crit. However, you also dont want to delay your cooldowns for too long, so that's why you use phoenix (and fb if necessary), so as few globals are wasted as possible. Two phoenixes and three fb should be enough for combustion, so using a phoenix to kickstart the chain makes it much more reliable, though that becomes much less of a sacrifice once you have reborn. Using a fb if the precast doesn't crit is also worth a more reliable opener, and if you really need to you can scorch at the end of the buff.

During the fight you do want to start with a heating up if possible, since you're not going to have three charges of phoenix. You can technically start with a hot streak if you dont fire off the pyro, and start casting rune instead of the fireball, but the time to cast rune and two more gcds for pyro isnt enough for that second charge to come back.
    Last edited by whisperingsage; 2016-09-06 at 03:37 AM.

For those who say that other casters have the same issue with their cd's as mage has with RoP has never raided/done dungeons apparently. Yesh, most casters have to stay still while they have those huge cd's up but what if you have to move? Like really really have to move? Well, other classes move and waste 1-2 sec on their cd but they take their CD with them. Mage? Well, Mage just looks sadly at that purple glowing circle underneath that red aoe while he/she went out of the bad goo on floor. And the biggest problem with it? If you used 1 RoP you cant use the 2nd one since it is on cd, thus wasting combustion/rop combo.

For the OT, if you have 1 sec left on comb and you dont have FB/PF left, cast scorch instead of fireball, its faster and hits the target immediately thus, giving you heating up or hot streak, whichever you crit you had. Only acceptable useage of scorch apparently nowadays. Once maybe during the whole boss

Quote Originally Posted by Tinary View Post
    For those who say that other casters have the same issue with their cd's as mage has with RoP has never raided/done dungeons apparently. Yesh, most casters have to stay still while they have those huge cd's up but what if you have to move? Like really really have to move? Well, other classes move and waste 1-2 sec on their cd but they take their CD with them. Mage? Well, Mage just looks sadly at that purple glowing circle underneath that red aoe while he/she went out of the bad goo on floor. And the biggest problem with it? If you used 1 RoP you cant use the 2nd one since it is on cd, thus wasting combustion/rop combo.
    Wow, it's almost like maybe you shouldn't pop your huge CDs right before the boss does something that requires you to move super far away from your current position.

Lol complaining about rune of power is such a 2013 meme XD
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Rune of Power" should have been an "Aura of Power" or something. Sometimes, I drop my ROP and right after that the boss decides to drop a colossal black hole of doom right on my ROP and I have to move. Ticks me off no end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Fayenoor;42225910]"Rune of Power" should have been an "Aura of Power" or something. Sometimes, I drop my ROP and right after that the boss decides to drop a colossal black hole of doom right on my ROP and I have to move. Ticks me off no end.[/QUOTE

Brilliant idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    "Rune of Power" should have been an "Aura of Power" or something. Sometimes, I drop my ROP and right after that the boss decides to drop a colossal black hole of doom right on my ROP and I have to move. Ticks me off no end.
    I get the feeling that im the priority target for random shit whenever i pop my rune I litteraly get every single boss mechanic which is available the second the rop is on the floor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toas View Post
    Wow, it's almost like maybe you shouldn't pop your huge CDs right before the boss does something that requires you to move super far away from your current position.
    Also, more often than not you can still avoid that fire thrown into your RoP, while standing on the edge of RoP. I just wish range indication of RoP to be more clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

A big part of becoming a better player is anticipating mechanics. You know what'll happen in a fight, and while some RNG definitely remains to screw you over, many of those "black holes of doom" do not just randomly appear but will come at specific intervals and in specific locations. Planning around that is highly advised.

That cast sequence macro hurts my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    Yeah, my Mage has been my main for 10 Years. I'll deal with being suboptimal if it means I'll be fun to play. It is the worst kind of talent, Blizzard should have been rid of it when WoD dropped.
    Stop posting in a DPS optimization thread if you're going to be a stubborn sub optimal scrub about it. He's asking how to improve his dps and as the gentlemen before me stated, RoP is a MUST HAVE for any mage spec as it's 50% damage when it really matters. Also, blizzard doesn't read mmo forums so whining about blizzard game design and not proposing a solution is essentially useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Slykz View Post
    That cast sequence macro hurts my eyes.
    How come? lol

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    How come? lol
    Because relying on a cast sequence macro to do your whole opener is stupid. If you get procs such as pyromaniac then it won't even use that proc.

You're playing fire mage. Fire mage requires you to think quick and adapt to procs etc. using a cast sequence macro just shows that you have zero clue about what you're doing.

Besides, it's not as though the sequence is particularly complicated.

I remember when I was still playing SWTOR there were cycles of multiple different sequences woven into each other, each with 10 or so steps all in a different order - and no macro feature at all. Now THAT was complicated.

I feel that Rune of Power should "die in a fire"... preferably one caused by a fire mage just to make the point that Rune of Power sucks (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    I feel that Rune of Power should "die in a fire"... preferably one caused by a fire mage just to make the point that Rune of Power sucks (imo).
    I find that RoP is one of the best damage cooldown skills in the game. And I don't mean in terms of performance - it has a good duration/cooldown, it has charges so you can stack it if needed, it requires thought about positioning etc., and it's just the right amount of oomph to not be OP but still offer great synergy with other skills to create a true burst window. Great design imo.

Install a boss timer addon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Phoenix is the last step in opening burn rotation since it isn't an instant crit like FB is.
    You only do one phoenix at the start, to guarantee at least a heating up if the precast doesn't crit, and so you're not capped on charges. Past that first one you don't use it till the very end of the chain because FB is off the gcd like you said. If you stay at three charges of phoenix during your whole burst, you might as well not have Phoenix Reborn as a trait.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigSlammu View Post
    You definitely need RoP. Most of our damage comes from our initial burst with combustion,RoP, and the correct sequence. You want to have a heating up proc, pop RoP then combustion and continue with your opener. Also, I may be wrong but I don't think you ever just want to cast a pyro by itself unless you have to. You always want to fish with a fireball cast beforehand.
    Only reason you would hard cast pyro while in combat is if you had the legendary for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you know the fights that becomes a non issue.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Cast fire ball until heating up procs. Then;

RoP -> Comb -> FB>PB>FB>PB -> FLAME ON -> FB>PB>FB>PB>PF>PB>PF>PB>PF>PB

Afterwards, FBall until heating up procs. When it does, cast another FBall and FB simultaneously. Cast PB WITH your FBall - always - .

Done.

And yes, RoP is mandatory. I don't really get what the big deal is anyway. It's frigging 10 seconds during your burst phase. Unless you're really unlucky, you won't be interrupted and if you are, your burst phase would've been suboptimal anyway.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-09-09 at 11:31 AM.