Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Yes, but there is a clear difference between a for-profit school and a non-profit school. For profit school, that tuition goes into the pockets of shareholders, nonprofit tuition gets reinvested back into the school.

To put in perspective, Harvard president takes home a yearly compensation of $899,734.

In 2013, the CEO of ITT Tech, took home $798,596 base, plus $1,000,093 in bonuses, plus another $1,115,594 in equity.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ivy-l...ranked-2014-12

1. Lee C. Bollinger (Columbia University) — $3,389,917
    2. Amy Gutmann (University of Pennsylvania) — $2,473,952
    3. Richard C. Levin* (Yale University) — $1,375,365
    4. Shirley M. Tilghman* (Princeton University) — $948,412
    5. Drew Gilpin Faust (Harvard University) — $908,642
    6. David J. Skorton (Cornell University) — $817,441
    7. Jim Yong Kim* (Dartmouth College) — $755,999
    8. Ruth J. Simmons* (Brown University) — $676,324

I'll miss those commercials. They had a hot, Russian milf on one.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

So one non-profit president makes more than him (and one of the best universities in the world at that)? Again, the difference is that Bollinger's is coming straight from a salary and not being taken from the profits. The CEO of ITT Tech, took 2 million dollars from the profits and pocketed it. If he were a non-profit that 2 million dollars would have to be reinvested back into the school. You asked if most schools were for-profit, and I answered your question. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-09-06 at 08:07 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Yes, but there is a clear difference between a for-profit school and a non-profit school. For profit school, that tuition goes into the pockets of shareholders, nonprofit tuition gets reinvested back into the school.

To put in perspective, Harvard president takes home a yearly compensation of $899,734.

In 2013, the CEO of ITT Tech, took home $798,596 base, plus $1,000,093 in bonuses, plus another $1,115,594 in equity.
    Not to mention non-profit schools do not have to worry about stock value and/or stockholders. Here are some more differences.

On average, for-profits spent $3,017 per student on instructional costs (2009-10) vs. $15,321 at private non-profit colleges.

Only 28% of for-profit college students graduate with a four-year degree vs. 65% at private, non-profit colleges. For top universities like Yale, Harvard and Stanford, the number is closer to 100%.

For-profit schools spent $8 per student on research vs. $5,887 per student at private, non-profits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe we'll start see better practices across the board? For-profits need to go but they popped up because people felt like the public options were flawed.

Community colleges are where its at but a lot time and energy has been spent on society shaming community colleges as university-lite even though a lot of people end up having to dual enroll/transient at community colleges because core classes at universities are overcrowded. Some ccs are now offering BAs.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

So one non-profit president makes more than him (and one of the best universities in the world at that)? Again, the difference is that Bollinger's is coming straight from a salary and not being taken from the profits. The CEO of ITT Tech, took 2 million dollars from the profits and pocketed it. If he were a non-profit that 2 million dollars would have to be reinvested back into the school. You asked if most schools were for-profit, and I answered your question. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
    ITT has like 130 campuses, CU has 1....

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ITT has 40,015 students across 130 campuses. CU has a little less at 27,942. Quality over quantity, ITT is nothing on the world stage, CU is 6th best university in the world. And once again:

You asked if most schools were for-profit, and I answered your question. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

ITT has 40,015 students across 130 campuses. CU has a little less at 27,942. Quality over quantity, ITT is nothing on the world stage, CU is 6th best university in the world. And once again:

http://undergrad.admissions.columbia.../question/2512 You just keep making shit up don't you?

Undergraduate enrollment is approximately 4,500 in Columbia College and 1,500 in The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science.

The point I am trying to make is from the get go, colleges in general take advantage of students, why do you think so many have this BS degrees were you can't get a job? You seriously arguing that point? I am not defending ITT it obviously takes advantage of a lot of people but so do Colleges in general.

Out of the 3.4M, 1.6M is deferred compensation from previous years going back to 2002. Basically it is meant to ensure that Bollinger remains at Columbia for the full term of his contract. So he does not make 3.4M every year.

- - - Updated - - -

http://undergrad.admissions.columbia.../question/2512 You just keep making shit up don't you?

Undergraduate enrollment is approximately 4,500 in Columbia College and 1,500 in The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science.

The point I am trying to make is from the get go, colleges in general take advantage of students, why do you think so many have this BS degrees were you can't get a job? You seriously arguing that point? I am not defending ITT it obviously takes advantage of a lot of people but so do Colleges in general.
    19,000 + grad students.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

And apparantly you can't read.

Where did I say anything about CU's undergrad enrollment?

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/opir/abst...ee_level_1.htm (2015)

Here let me do the (very simple) math for you:

Full Time (degree and non degree): 24,728
    Part Time (degree and non degree): 5,576
    Total (degree and non degree): 30,304.

My numbers were lower because I used 2014 numbers and specifically excluded students that weren't earning a degree.

Again, reading comprehension. I'm not defending anything only explaining to you the difference between for-profit and non-profit. Because you're question was "Aren't most schools for-profit". And the answer is no, most are in fact, non profit.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-09-06 at 08:38 PM.

Again, reading comprehension. I'm not defending anything only explaining to you the difference for-profit and non-profit. Because you're question was "Aren't most schools for-profit". And the answer is no, most are in fact, non profit.
    Reading comprehension? You're the one who still can't understand the difference between a question an a rhetorical question. You literally explained something I already knew and I even said stated it more clearly and you still couldn't figure it out. You make me sad that you cannot understand why you have terrible communication skills.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reading comprehension? You're the one who still can't understand the difference between a question an a rhetorical question. You literally explained something I already knew and I even said stated it more clearly and you still couldn't figure it out. You make me sad that you cannot understand why you have terrible communication skills.
    Lol. You never once explained that you already knew what the difference was and you never once stated anything more clearly. You, my friend, are the one who is incapable of communicating properly.

Here let me show you:

Post 1:
    isn't every school a for-profit school?
    No indicator that it was a rhetorical question. If you weren't aware, the internet cannot convey anything but static text, no emotion or facial expressions are seen by the people who read your messages.

Post 2:
    Doesn't mean they don't squeeze student's out of every penny they can, there is a reason why tuition far outpaces inflation.
    Nothing to clarify that it was a rhetorical question. I even agreed with you that universities often try to squeeze out every penny.

Post 3:

Lee C. Bollinger (Columbia University) — $3,389,917
    Amy Gutmann (University of Pennsylvania) — $2,473,952
    Richard C. Levin* (Yale University) — $1,375,365
    Shirley M. Tilghman* (Princeton University) — $948,412
    Drew Gilpin Faust (Harvard University) — $908,642
    David J. Skorton (Cornell University) — $817,441
    Jim Yong Kim* (Dartmouth College) — $755,999
    Ruth J. Simmons* (Brown University) — $676,324
    A list of President salaries. Nothing to indicate you don't know the difference between NP and FP.

Post 4:
    Again nothing to indicate you don't know the difference between NP and FP.

Post 5:

Again nothing to indicate you don't know the difference between NP and FP.

------------------

I hope that was clear enough for you.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-09-06 at 08:47 PM.

You are coming off as a petulant child at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Lol. You never once explained that you already knew what the difference was and you never once stated anything more clearly. You, my friend, are the one who is incapable of communicating properly.
    Or really? Let me scroll up and see

Or how about even earlier I wrote

Doesn't mean they don't squeeze student's out of every penny they can, there is a reason why tuition far outpaces inflation.
    Not to mention you couldn't even catch on from the start the point I was trying to make. If you couldn't figure out the point I was trying to make from the second post then I have clearly wasted my time with you. Scratch that, I know I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    You are coming off as a petulant child at this point.
    Says the man hurling insults? LOL

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You posted that after 5 posts, and it is not a clear indication that your original question was rhetorical. It's a clear indication that you were trying to defend your second quote...

Which is also not a clear indication that your original question was rhetorical, and I even agreed with you on the point that universities try to squeeze as many pennies as possible.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-09-06 at 08:53 PM.

You posted that after 5 posts, and it is not a clear indication that your original question is what rhetorical. It's a clear indication that you were trying to defend your second quote...

Which is also not a clear indication that your original question was rhetorical, and I even agreed with you on the point that universities try to squeeze as many pennies as possible.
    It is a very clearly indication you just fail at reading comprehension, did you go to ITT by chance? Not to mention you asked the question while quoting me when I made my point even more clear. LMAO

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is a very clearly indication you just fail at reading comprehension, did you go to ITT by chance?
    Nope, but it's okay Zenkai, I don't expect you to admit your failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    This so much. Fuck ITT Tech. Good riddance, more "for-profit" schools deserve to be shut down.
    You realize EVERY school is a for-profit school right?
    You think Harvard, Yale, Princeton and the rest are hurting for cash?
    People who hate others for making money really confuse me, we ALL want to make money otherwise we'd all live in hippy communes living in mud huts.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is a very clearly indication you just fail at reading comprehension, did you go to ITT by chance? Not to mention you asked the question while quoting me when I made my point even more clear. LMAO
    Another reading comprehension fail. I never asked a question in this thread.

Nope, but it's okay Zenkai, I don't expect you to admit your failure.
    Ah I see you're in straight up denial, pointed out why you are wrong and you won't admit it, it's ok, we all make mistakes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muddysmind View Post
    You realize EVERY school is a for-profit school right?
    You think Harvard, Yale, Princeton and the rest are hurting for cash?
    People who hate others for making money really confuse me, we ALL want to make money otherwise we'd all live in hippy communes living in mud huts.
    Hey @Tyrianth just wanted to make sure you didn't explain to this guy the difference between for profit and non profit. Pretty sure he is making the exact same point I am and I know you struggle with things like this.