Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Stat squish band-aid

Since we're starting to see such big numbers due to ilvl inflation and not everyone likes that, why not let us edit the numbers we see. Blizz could add some kind of 1-100% slider for all damage and health. For instance if I hit for 300,000 but have my combat text numbers set to 1%, I only see 3,000.

I was just thinking this because obviously we're going to be seeing some crazy numbers this expansion, so why not just let us make an aesthetic change if we can't get a proper stat squish(yet)?

I was originally thinking maybe an addon could due this by either scaling down the numbers we see or just cutting off the last 3 digits of the numbers we see, but I don't think WoW let's you change the scrolling combat text like that. So Bliz could either allow that or add in this feature. I'm not a programmer but it can't be too complicated to just scale down the numbers shown by a percentage.

Just an idea. I just don't want to see 849,252 crits in 6 weeks.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2016-09-06 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Since we're starting to see such big numbers due to ilvl inflation and not everyone likes that, why not let us edit the numbers we see. Blizz could add some kind of 1-100% slider for all damage and health. For instance if I hit for 300,000 but have my combat text numbers set to 1%, I only see 3,000.

I was just thinking this because obviously we're going to be seeing some crazy numbers this expansion, so why not just let us make an aesthetic change if we can't get a proper stat squish(yet)?

I was originally thinking maybe an addon could due this by either scaling down the numbers we see or just cutting off the last 3 digits of the numbers we see, but I don't think WoW let's you change the scrolling combat text like that. So Bliz could either allow that or add in this feature. I'm not a programmer but it can't be too complicated to just scale down the numbers shown by a percentage.

Just an idea. IMO the only reason I want a big stat squish and don't care for this inflation is because I don't want to see 849,252 crits in 6 months.
    The underlying problem is that from the programming side they will hit numbers they can't support. I won't bore with Technicalities. Just gotta squish the numbers down some how. I still find it funny that in other games that just come out. A top dps would be doing something like 500 dps. What are we up to now back to 100k?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    What are we up to now back to 100k?
    Several hundred thousand. Guessing closer to a million or two (without gimmicks) in raids later on, single target. We've never had numbers this high before, so we're not really "back" up to this level.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-09-06 at 06:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The underlying problem is that from the programming side they will hit numbers they can't support. I won't bore with Technicalities. Just gotta squish the numbers down some how. I still find it funny that in other games that just come out. A top dps would be doing something like 500 dps. What are we up to now back to 100k?
    Currently bursting for up to 2m AoE DPS on my Havoc DH, 838 ilvl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

I get that, this is more of a bandaid/customization option until Bliz gets around to it. They did it once and we're already back in that position.

At the very least they should allow for addons to do this with the combat text. You may be able to with Miks addon but not everyone uses or likes that style of combat text.

Maybe an addon that divides numbers by 10? Or even more for a classic feeling...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

The reason for the squish was the system being unable to handle numbers that large because it was 32-bit (highest number allowed was 2,147,483,647). Since the implementation of the squish they've fixed that problem by upgrading to a 64-bit system and the system can now handle the larger numbers so the need for the squish is more aesthetic than technical at this point from what I understand. Since it's now 64 bit the largest number allowed is 9,223,372,036,854,775,807...which we're not likely to hit any time soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The reason for the squish was the system being unable to handle numbers that large because it was 32-bit (highest number allowed was 2,147,483,647). Since the implementation of the squish they've fixed that problem by upgrading to a 64-bit system and the system can now handle the larger numbers so the need for the squish is more aesthetic than technical at this point from what I understand. Since it's now 64 bit the largest number allowed is 9,223,372,036,854,775,807...which we're not likely to hit any time soon.
    This. But didn't someone (I think Watcher) confirm that they plan to do another squish next expansion anyways?

Yes, they did say at the end of Legion there will be another squish.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzkerten View Post
    Yes, they did say at the end of Legion there will be another squish.
    They also said, that they can't go on squishing every few xpacs, so they need to come up with an elegant solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    They also said, that they can't go on squishing every few xpacs, so they need to come up with an elegant solution.
    I hope it is MEGADAMGE

YOU FUCK UP THE BOSS WITH 5.5 BILLION MEGADAMAGE

I'm pretty shocked they haven't done away with the commas and changed damage to "66k" instead of "66,657." The numbers are so big that the individual values aren't that important.

While I enjoy seeing 752,897 pop on the screen, it would be cleaner to see 753k (rounding up I guess).

just did a normal dungeon today and was hitting 1.5 mil. with fel eruption as a 826 havoc DH, so i think 2-3 mil. will be normal for strong attacks in first tier raid equip

i panic when i see my character getting a dot tick on them for 66k or higher a pop but then look at my HP barely being touched and i'am "oh right. New expansion, higher everything".

still need to get my brain into the new gear i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not a bad idea, now that you mention it I'm surprised there are no addons that do something like that.

This is incorrect, they increased the size possible in 7.0. Stat squishes are no longer necessary.

They can simply use shortened notation for very large numbers; rather than 14,442,009 call it 14.4m. Easy enough to follow.

Mik's Scrolling Battle Text will shorten numbers in this manner-- strongly recommend the addon.

These retarded increases make no sense. You start at level 1 with 10 dps and in 3 days you're doing 600k crits. You don't even feel more powerful, it's quite the other way around, because at lower levels mobs die in 2 seconds, while in Legion leveling they have a lot of health, you can even tank an spank for 1 minute or more at a single fucker...

They already solved that problem before Legion released.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    This. But didn't someone (I think Watcher) confirm that they plan to do another squish next expansion anyways?
    Yes they will continue to squish until they find an elegant solution, or possible forever if they don't find a solution. That said, they fixed the bigger system issue by having a 64 bit system that is able to handle the bigger numbers so this is not an "emergency" problem that needs fixing. The stat squish tech exists now and they have a system that can handle larger numbers so they have the time to look into making an elegant solution without putting the functionality of the game at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    This is incorrect, they increased the size possible in 7.0. Stat squishes are no longer necessary.

They can simply use shortened notation for very large numbers; rather than 14,442,009 call it 14.4m. Easy enough to follow.

Mik's Scrolling Battle Text will shorten numbers in this manner-- strongly recommend the addon.
    I can't use Miks because it's scrolling text on your screen and not battle text over the mobs head. I tend to look 'through' the screen and at the mobs so I can't really watch scrolling text and what I'm doing at the same time.

Honestly if I hit for 14,442,009, I don't want 14.4m personally, I'd rather just 14,442. Just chop off the last 3 numbers of everything.