Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it time to remake Dune?

I must say iam a huge fan of the books and i actually am i fan of the David Lynch movie (yes i know its a guilty pleasure) but does anyone feel maybe now its time to make a movie that really does the books and this amazing universe justice?

I know its unlikely what with the studios remembering how much of a flop the David Lynch film was but maybe a talent film director and really pull this off?

Yes it is.

The tech is obviously there now to put together a film, or series of films, based on Jodorowsky's vision.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think Joss Whedon needs to re-kick start his film career after flopping hard on Avengers age of ultron. i could see him doing it justice.
    Hi

Well, the Dune TV series still exists.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

Deleted
    You know what, I was thinking just that last week. Think of how epic a franchise it could be in the right hands! They used to say Lord of the Rings was unfilmable until it was done right, so why not give this another try? (I also enjoyed the Lynch movie, as well as the books, the video games, the mini-series and its sequel. All in all, if it's done, I say go for it)

Thinking on it might almost be better to do another mini series for it like Children of Dune was. Maybe one day HBO will get around to buying it off the "De Laurentiises"
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, Dune is vastly overrated.
    Would you care to explain why?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I don't enjoy it. What more is there to explain? You aren't going to chnage my opinion and anything I say someone will try to dispute. It's my opinion and answer to the question.

Care to answer to yourself?
    Rather than smugly avoid the question, you could explain what you didn't like about it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Given that today's movie studios churn out movies that have more to do with flash and special effects while sacrificing story, no I do not think its time to remake dune.

Deleted
    I wouldn't mind a remake, or a new RTS Dune game. The first RTS games I ever played, even before Command & Conquer.

Deleted
    I'd rather they remade Dune than Ben Hur that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    I wouldn't mind a remake, or a new RTS Dune game. The first RTS games I ever played, even before Command & Conquer.
    Mine too it was what got me hooked on the books and the movie.

Like Shinzai says, the 2 mini series are perfectly fine, and the total of 9 hours of them together, cover Dune and Children of Dune way better then movies will do.

Personally I'd much rather see a remake of Babylon 5.

Dune, especially the middle books, is too sophisticated for television audiences. Too much of it is philosophical/religious musing and not enough is actual action. Also, the whole Middle-Eastern/Islamic influence would not go over well these days. You can't make a series featuring a literal Jihad and not have it be controversial in some way. But unfortunately that imagery is core to Herbert's mythology so you can't just get rid of it either.

What they could do is turn it into generic desert-inspired mythological SF. Which, I guess, is what they did with the films and the miniseries. While I too am a fan of Lynch's original movie, I recognize its severe shortcomings compared to the source material. And don't even get me started on the miniseries where Leto II is 20-something....

Make it 2 movies, 1 to introduce the universe, families, feuds and rules and the journey to Arrakis culminating in the betrayal and fall of House Atreides.
    Part 2 covers the escape, journey through the deserts, the Fremen and their livestyle, the emerging resistance, up until the victory over the Harkonnen and the new Emperor.
    Children of Dune should better not be touched.
    And stick to actors that look more like their description in the book. The miniseries had some odd choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Dune, especially the middle books, is too sophisticated for television audiences. Too much of it is philosophical/religious musing and not enough is actual action. Also, the whole Middle-Eastern/Islamic influence would not go over well these days. You can't make a series featuring a literal Jihad and not have it be controversial in some way. But unfortunately that imagery is core to Herbert's mythology so you can't just get rid of it either.

What they could do is turn it into generic desert-inspired mythological SF. Which, I guess, is what they did with the films and the miniseries. While I too am a fan of Lynch's original movie, I recognize its severe shortcomings compared to the source material. And don't even get me started on the miniseries where Leto II is 20-something....
    Yeah i was thinking about this not too long ago about the allegories of this movie today.

Its certainly wont play too well in this political climate.

Only if Clint Eastwood directs it.

Deleted
    Dennis Villeneuve has this as a pet project, but seems the rights are hard to get, so he is not to hopeful.

http://nerdist.com/blade-runner-2-di...o-remake-dune/

And I agree, God Emperor of Dune, it´s themes and the massive time jumps before and after the book could make things rather difficult.

Deleted
    Not from a commercial viewpoint, no.

I would like it personally though.

I honestly didnt think this was possible

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/1/144...source=twitter

But there you go there is gonna be a Dune remake.

Hopefully they will do this right this time.