Old computer upgrade

Hey all,

I want to upgrade my computer but I don't really know what to do atm, I hope I can get some help with this.

First here are my specs:

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II
    CPU: i5 2500k 3.3Ghz Sandy Bridge (used to be overclocked, but I've updated the BIOS so it's standard atm)
    MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4
    Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2
    RAM: Ballistix 16 GB DDR3-1600
    GPU: MSI gaming GTX 970
    PSU: Corsair TX750

I was thinking to upgrade my CPU mainly, since i've bought a secondhand GTX 970 in March.

My budget atm is limited I can afford up to € 500,-. I've seen a upgrade kit that comes with the new i5 6600k and a MSI Z170A GAMING M5 motherboard and 8gb RAM DDR4 Fury HyperX (for those who wants to know brands), which cost around €469,-. However i've been reading that the i5 6600k isn't much better than my own old i5 2500k. And I don't know if I can use my cooler and PSU with the new gen motherboards?

I also have another option where I can buy the i7 4790K, which only costs €379,-. This way I can use my old motherboard and later during Christmas buy a SSD. If my motherboard dies because of his age, I can simply buy a new motherboard for the 1150 sockets which doesn't cost as much anymore.

It's important for me that I can last aslong as I last now with my CPU. And when needed replace the GPU down the road.

Hope it's not to confusing and someone can give my a hand .

Edit:

Import thing to add I still play at 1080p
    Last edited by Reydan; 2016-09-08 at 07:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were in your place, I wouldn't upgrade - especially if the budget is limited. The i5 2500k is still a strong cpu and can handle almost anything well, especially when overclocked.

Since you do not have a ssd in your build, I would start by adding one, overclocking your cpu to 4.2-4.4 Ghz and saving yourself some money for the future.
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Corsair XMS3 PC-12800 8gb | MSI Radeon R7850 Twin Frozr III x2 Crossfire | Crucial M4 128gb | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb | BeQuiet! Straight Power E9 580W modular | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo | Fractal Design Arc Midi

Thanks for the reply.

Thing is I have OC'ed my CPU to 4.4 Ghz before and run Prime tests for a whole night, and it passed. Eventually I got some random BSOD's (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT). So last night I updated my BIOS and I might let it run on stock for a month or so, to see if the BSOD's are no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Reydan View Post
    I also have another option where I can buy the i7 4790K, which only costs €379,-. This way I can use my old motherboard
    You would not be able to use your old motherboard. Your 2500k is socket LGA1155 and the 4790K is LGA1150, so you would need a new motherboard anyway. Also, going from the 3500k to the 4790k would not be much of an upgrade anyway. Like a 5-10% increase in performance, if that. Even going to a Skylake i5/i7 would not be much more than that. Most people with 2500k's are still not planning on upgrading, as the performance increase between generations has been pretty small. If I were you, I would just save up. Really not much of a point in upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You would not be able to use your old motherboard. Your 2500k is socket LGA1155 and the 4790K is LGA1150, so you would need a new motherboard anyway. Also, going from the 3500k to the 4790k would not be much of an upgrade anyway. Like a 5-10% increase in performance, if that. Even going to a Skylake i5/i7 would not be much more than that. Most people with 2500k's are still not planning on upgrading, as the performance increase between generations has been pretty small. If I were you, I would just save up. Really not much of a point in upgrading.
    Totally forgot that the i5 2500k is a 1155 socket... =/

Seems everyone advice against upgrading, then I might spend it on a SSD. Which I still want to have, any recommendations for that? I am aiming for a 500gb one. Since I have a 1TB HDD which I will still use obviously.

Get a decent cooler that is universally compatible with Intel platforms, overclock your CPU and get an SSD. Probably the most you can do with a limited budget.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Get a decent cooler that is universally compatible with Intel platforms, overclock your CPU and get an SSD. Probably the most you can do with a limited budget.
    I've got a Scythe Mugen 2 as a cooler which was pretty hot back in the day. I already had it OC'ed before to 4,4Ghz. But I updated my BIOS so it's standard atm. I am planning on a SSD, any recommendations?

I've got a Scythe Mugen 2 as a cooler which was pretty hot back in the day. I already had it OC'ed before to 4,4Ghz. But I updated my BIOS so it's standard atm. I am planning on a SSD, any recommendations?
    Depending on the budget: OCZ Trion 150 = Corsair Force LE (same hardware, although Trion 150 is original) < Crucial MX200 < Samsung 850 EVO. I wouldnt advice going cheaper. There is also Crucial MX300 but it's quite controversial at the moment - it has good hardware but loses in performance to MX200 (has faster reads but slower writes). It could be a firmware issue which can potentially be fixed. So if you can find it substantially cheaper than MX200 it's an option too.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I had my eyes on the Samsung 850 evo, the 500gb version. So I think I will get that, now I just need to reinstall Windows 10 on it. And I have no idea how yet lol.

I had my eyes on the Samsung 850 evo, the 500gb version. So I think I will get that, now I just need to reinstall Windows 10 on it. And I have no idea how yet lol.
    Download the image, make a bootable USB with it and reinstall.

I don't need a windows key or anything? Since I used the free update.

I don't need a windows key or anything? Since I used the free update.
    If you upgraded and are using a Microsoft account your OS will activate when you log in with the same account on fresh install.