Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you consider 'faults'

In literally all of my business management, leadership management, organization behavior, human resources, and personal self improvement courses, seminars, and classes, one of the big things about goal setting, success, and improving yourself is not only identifying your strengths, but also your weaknesses.

Identifying strengths is largely being able to say "What am I good at?" or "Where can I be useful with little effort?" or "Where am I most needed?"

Identifying weaknesses is not just avoid the areas you don't excel, but literally saying "Where can I improve?" and "Is there a different method that I can do this or be this?" or "How can I identify aspects of other people that help in this deficiency?"

"Admitting" faults or weaknesses doesn't mean you have to shout it to the world. But it's important to be able to identify, recognize, and index where you feel you're lacking, so you can fit that integral part into your life properly.

If you want to discuss this further feel free to PM me.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I do not consider admitting or recognizing one's personal shortcomings to be weakness. Actually think it is key to understanding how to achieve goals and be satisfied in your accomplishments personally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Depends on what you consider 'faults'

In literally all of my business management, leadership management, organization behavior, human resources, and personal self improvement courses, seminars, and classes, one of the big things about goal setting, success, and improving yourself is not only identifying your strengths, but also your weaknesses.

Identifying strengths is largely being able to say "What am I good at?" or "Where can I be useful with little effort?" or "Where am I most needed?"

Identifying weaknesses is not just avoid the areas you don't excel, but literally saying "Where can I improve?" and "Is there a different method that I can do this or be this?" or "How can I identify aspects of other people that help in this deficiency?"

"Admitting" faults or weaknesses doesn't mean you have to shout it to the world. But it's important to be able to identify, recognize, and index where you feel you're lacking, so you can fit that integral part into your life properly.

If you want to discuss this further feel free to PM me.
    Or this exactly. Well written.

Don't sell yourself short, but have the courage to admit your flaws when they are a problem. Learn to love yourself OP. The cure for low self esteem and self-judgment is learning how to love yourself. It will give you confidence in the right ways. People don't know what you're thinking, so don't project what you're thinking through your body language or facial expressions. Confuse them with confidence in most situations unless you don't know what you're doing and what you're doing in that moment is critical to not dying.

"We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do." - Mahatma Gandhi

Recognize the differences between sympathy and empathy, guilt and shame. If you feel shame and not guilt, it means you expect more from yourself. When you think of your own past try to have sympathy, because remember, the goal is to love yourself. But to live in the past is a certain type of death. And the root of all suffering is attachment, so if you really love yourself, don't depend on the people around you.
    Last edited by Polygons; 2016-09-10 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    I won't be long with this post. I have...a lot of psychological issues relating to self-esteem to say the least, though I do well to mask this under my online identity. Some people I know personally claim I desperately need help or at least need to be more open for others to help, but I stubbornly insist doing so is a sign of humiliation/human weakness and am paranoid sinister folks will take advantage of it.

I feel relaxed when writing about this stuff in private though, but so long as I remain secretive, no one can really help me and I'm aware of that.
    Being so worried about your ego that you refuse to do the very thing that would allow you to resolve those faults is a sign of weakness. Only by confronting these things can we ever hope to move past them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    But you don't have to tell anybody about it. You can fix it silently, secretly, on your own (unless you need help - but tell only those who will help you). Letting people know you can make mistakes makes them doubt your future actions and decisions.
    I suppose that's an important distinction. You admit these faults to people you trust. When my life was a mess because of a complete lack of structure, I didn't go to any old stranger on the internet, I went to family and counselors who specialize in that sort of thing, was honest with them as well as myself, and got things straightened out. (Well, work in progress.) I never would have gotten that far if I hadn't first admitted to myself "I can't do this on my own. I need help."
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-09-10 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Know the enemy/opponent and you will win half your battles.
    Know yourself, (as well), and you will win all of them.

Know thyself and thou shall know all the mysteries of the gods and of the universe

10+ Year Old Account
    Those who admit their faults are pragmatic. Those who hide their faults, are too busy worrying about what other people think of them.

I admit it's super hard to ignore what other people are thinking of you, but do yourself a favor and try not to. To error is human. Before you start thinking those people are perfect, just remember that whatever story they tell you is only half of the real story. Usually the better half.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do believe admitting to your faults is a sign of strength, as others said, you can overcome your problems if you admit that you have them. No need to deny them.

I won't be long with this post. I have...a lot of psychological issues relating to self-esteem to say the least, though I do well to mask this under my online identity. Some people I know personally claim I desperately need help or at least need to be more open for others to help, but I stubbornly insist doing so is a sign of humiliation/human weakness and am paranoid sinister folks will take advantage of it.

I feel relaxed when writing about this stuff in private though, but so long as I remain secretive, no one can really help me and I'm aware of that.
    most of the time, admiting the flaws is the solution.
    admiting your flaws is not a sign of weakness, you are already weak and people notice without you admiting it.

you see, i tend to laugh at my own flaws, which tends to allow me to notice who stares down at me for that reason and who doesnt, and i actively avoid people who look down on me for doing so.

admitting and laughing at your own flaws is important, but only if you are working on improving on them.

well the "doubt" part is what I'm most afraid of to be clear.

Like an example: You tell someone you're not performing very well in a sport as you used to, but since you're underperforming, that person might doubt you were ever good at all.
    Who gives a shit what they think? Even if you were never good it doesn't matter. This is a very common train of thought in every one of your threads. Stop worrying over what other people think and enjoy your life.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    And you don't freak out or fly into an overly-defensive rage if you're mocked or teased for some of these flaws you admit to?
    I consider it a personal flaw of anyone who feels the need to criticize others for their flaws, so no. They're merely doing the same, pointing out their flaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Admit it only to yourself. Telling it someone around might change their view on you. Keep that in mind. Trust me. Thank me and yourself later.

Deleted
    Denial is weakness. Hiding is weakness.

Facing up to your flaws and overcoming them is strength.

No, absolutely not. Quite the opposite actually - admitting a weakness takes at least a little bit of bravery to do.

I've always felt that owning up to your mistakes was a sign of strength and self confidence rather then weakness. now hiding and denial? that is most certainly sign of weakness. at least IMO. edited to add. shaming people who admitted not knowing something or made a mistake? is also a weakness. the person who is doing the shaming - is weak, they are just trying to hide it.

In your context, definitely not. There are many situations where you might not be able go forward alone, but need some kind of assistance. If you never acknowledge and admit, you won't get the opportunity to "fix" it (not the best turn of phrase - forgive me, it's past my bed time).

Several people mention only doing so to those you trust (or have to trust). I generally agree. For example, with the stigma connected to otherwise quite manageable conditions (say, depression), I couldn't imagine telling about such a thing to employers or co-workers. If I'm managing in day-to-day life, there's no reason to involve them, right?

15+ Year Old Account
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say not admitting your faults makes you weaker. Like Dirty Harry said, " Every man needs to know his limitations. "