I want to feel mighty...

What's a good iLvl for a filthy casual to aim for, to get to the point where he can sneer at non-boss mobs in the open world?

I'm currently 798, a "solo quester" blood DK, and it takes forever to kill stuff (which, I know, is typical for tank specs).

I've been doing all the world quests that award gear and don't involve PvP. I'm accepting the fact that I'll have to off-spec DPS to go into dungeons (not just for gear, but also to progress my order hall campaign).

830-840 would be my number. Prior to 830 I did most everything as prot because while it was slower and boring, there is not much risk I'll die. As a fury warrior, the 20-30% increased damage while enraged is painful in multi mob situations. Of course, that's assuming I can even get a proc off to get enraged. At times I was actually killing faster as prot because RNG can make or break a class

Now at 840, I feel like a real warrior again. I'd guess DKs would be in the same boat.

i cannot say how it is for DK, but as DH tank in 830ish gear i can pretty much tank and kill anything the open world throws at me.

remember that a big part of how easy open world is comes from your artifact traits, which do not raise your GS iirc

Just wait until they raise the level of all the open world shit when 7.2 comes out. I suspect they will all become like 101 or 102 in the new areas they add.

Deleted
    I would say 830ilvl is where mobs start to die in pretty much 3-4GCD's for a DPS, tanks will not be able to consistently kill mobs one by one that quick with the gear currently available, but they can pull an entire zone and blow some CD's to kill everything pretty much instantly.

So how do you get there?

The treasure rare/elite mobs are dropping 785s, so I don't much bother with them any more unless it's part of a world quest.

And I only get one or two gear-worthy world quests per day, and they're not often better than what I have.

I plan on finishing off the zones' questing (just have Val'Sharah, Azsuna, and Suramar left), then plunging into their zone-ending dungeons (for the gear, for the order hall).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    So how do you get there?

The treasure rare/elite mobs are dropping 785s, so I don't much bother with them any more unless it's part of a world quest.
    Getting to 810 ilvl for heroic dungeons was the most annoying part, gearing to at least 830-840 is pretty easy after that. You can run normal dungeons (long queues) to get up a bit, wait for enough gear from World Quests to put you over, or buy gear from the auction house as the crafted 815 stuff drop in prices more.

They don't seem to have thought gearing between questing and heroic dungeons through very well. Gearing up in Legion is a non-issue after 810 but there is a gap between questing, and even normals, and the requirement to enter heroic. Once you get over that gap via luck or spending gold everything is fine.