Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Great PC games to play on a controller, for a PC nerd?

So I installed a great audio system for my home cinema, dusted off an old Logitech Rumblepad 2 my brother had gifted me a few years ago that I never got around to using, and I'm looking to play something at 60fps@1080p on my 140" home cinema. Seeing as there's no way in hell I'll try playing with a keyboard and mouse in my cinema sofa (I've tried before in my older sofa with Skyrim with little success due to mouse accuracy being quite crap, and forced into an uncomfortable position that didn't make me last long).

So to keep it short, with x360 installed and seeming to work (in the programs main window at least), I'm now on the hunt for great games for a PC nerd who never got around playing anything on a console.

* No FPS, RTS, or other games where high accuracy is an advantage, but car and flight games would be OK.
    * Only single player as I do intend doing this as the greatest casual who ever lived. MP games with SP components are ok (I did some Trackmania and it was fun, but the Audio/Video experience was a bit meh).
    * Stunning graphics and/or cinematic games are highly favored.
    * Little to no requirement to reading a lot of text (the screen is big but too far away for my glasses to handle small text) or jumping through menus to fix inventories etc (I am NOT native with handling a controller).

I contemplated putting this up in the Computer forum as my interest in this is primarily hardware oriented in nature, but in the end I felt Video Games Discussion would probably be the better place for a thread like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogue Legacy by far is my favorite game I found on Steam, and I can't imagine NOT using a controller for it. It's not graphical, but it's a simple game with basically no story.

Rebel Galaxy is a game I'm currently playing on my HTPC. It's a pretty good couch-game.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    DMC
    Metal Gear Revengeance
    Rocket league
    Castle of Illusion (for the nostalgic)
    Braid
    Shadow of Mordor
    Any Batman Arkham games
    Any Assassin's creed game
    Any Need for Speed games
    Prince of persia sand trilogy + the 2008 game

and much much more

pretty much any rpg that was released cross platform, as they tend to have controller support built in, complete with UI that was adjusted for it. (assuming you actualy enjoy controller controls - I ended up grabbing an extra keyboard and mouse on a lap table for my couch PC setup, because controller was driving me nuts)

Any game that really supports it. I was rocking bf4 and bf1 with controller. Fallout 3 4 NV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lego Marvel Superheroes... seriously.

Rocket league. I tried playing keyboard and mouse...had a terrible time. Plugged xbox controller in...now I have like 200 hours in it.

Basically anything except competitive shooters would be great.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Witcher 3.
    Any of the Batman Arkham Games, Shadow of Mordor, basically any "assassin's creed"-like games.
    Metal Gear Solid.
    Strider.
    Devil May Cry and DMC-Like games.

Deleted
    Dark Souls series.

The rebooted Tomb Raider series is excellent. Work wonderfully with controller support too.

Also, perhaps an atypical suggestion, Marvel Heroes 2016 added controller support a couple of months ago. It's a 'top-down' ARPG in the style of Diablo but with MMO-style game structure. It's a very fun and casual game allowing multiple means to engage with the gameplay (solo one-off stuff, group raids, story quests, etc) without sacrificing progress. The controller support for the game is fantastic and plays very smoothly.

Marvel Heroes 2016 fantastic game in it's own right, but with controller support added, it is a very easy to play game from your couch without losing depth of play.

Lots of great suggestions, thank you guys. This list will surely keep me busy for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Rogue Legacy by far is my favorite game I found on Steam, and I can't imagine NOT using a controller for it. It's not graphical, but it's a simple game with basically no story.
    I don't think I have the necessary skills with a gamepad to play that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Rebel Galaxy is a game I'm currently playing on my HTPC. It's a pretty good couch-game.
    This looks like it's inspired by Freelancer. I checked out some let's plays, seems perfect for a casual couch game, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Any Assassin's creed game
    Any Need for Speed games
    There two will fit perfectly as well, thank you.
    @the rest
    I will go through your suggestions in a couple of months.

Thank you all.

If you haven't played it already Shadow of Mordor was fucking awesome. Looks incredible, mechanics are fun and if you like LOTR you'll like this game. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided came out recently which I also highly recommend. I know you said you're not into FPS but I think you should consider trying the Metro games. Metro Last Light is gorgeous and one of the most immersive games I've ever played.

The only games I like to play with a pc game controller are racing games and madden. I would rather play any other game with the keyboard and mouse. I tried playing skyrim with it but it didn't feel as precise as the mouse and keyboard. I couldn't imagine how uncomfortable the ranged classes feel playing them with a game controller. I like this controller a lot:

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Lots of great suggestions, thank you guys. This list will surely keep me busy for a long time.

I don't think I have the necessary skills with a gamepad to play that game.

This looks like it's inspired by Freelancer. I checked out some let's plays, seems perfect for a casual couch game, thank you.

There two will fit perfectly as well, thank you.
    @the rest
    I will go through your suggestions in a couple of months.

Thank you all.
    Here is the thing. Those that claim controllers dont have accuracy and cant aim for shit, never use them and therefor are horrible at using them for such. GOod practice with a controller will take you a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG way. If your a seasoned controller player you can hand in there with kbm players. Its not somthing your going to pick and and just do though it takes time. But movement is much better with a controller than a keyboard.

Popular controllers are also 360 controller, xbox one with microusb cable, and the rare logitech shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Here is the thing. Those that claim controllers dont have accuracy and cant aim for shit, never use them and therefor are horrible at using them for such. GOod practice with a controller will take you a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG way. If your a seasoned controller player you can hand in there with kbm players. Its not somthing your going to pick and and just do though it takes time. But movement is much better with a controller than a keyboard.

Popular controllers are also 360 controller, xbox one with microusb cable, and the rare logitech shit.
    subjective. I've gotten much better at aiming with controller (from both playing ps4 games pretty darn regularly for close to a year now as well as using my extra dualshock with PC games because I can. in before xbox controllers - I find them uncomfortable, I have one, don't like it, dualshock fits my hands better), but I still find keyboard/mouse movement to be MUCH more precise. I've actualy switched back from controller to keyboard when playing certain games, because I couldn't make the jumps/walk narrow ledges as well as I can with keyboard/mouse.

what i have found is that someone who started playing with controller and then switched over to keyboard? finds movement with controller better, while the other way around - well feel the other way around. ever after practice.

that said, 360 controller with plug and play work with pretty much everything, provided you like the way it feels in your hands, OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Souls series like someone else said

Furi, gonna recommend this game any chance I get Can't imagine playing it with kb/m, much like Dark Souls with kb/m never really plays nicely (imo)
    Last edited by Tryuk; 2016-09-12 at 02:20 AM.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    subjective. I've gotten much better at aiming with controller (from both playing ps4 games pretty darn regularly for close to a year now as well as using my extra dualshock with PC games because I can. in before xbox controllers - I find them uncomfortable, I have one, don't like it, dualshock fits my hands better), but I still find keyboard/mouse movement to be MUCH more precise. I've actualy switched back from controller to keyboard when playing certain games, because I couldn't make the jumps/walk narrow ledges as well as I can with keyboard/mouse.

what i have found is that someone who started playing with controller and then switched over to keyboard? finds movement with controller better, while the other way around - well feel the other way around. ever after practice.

that said, 360 controller with plug and play work with pretty much everything, provided you like the way it feels in your hands, OP.
    The keyboard may feel smoother for walking on edges becuase it has no senstivity to button press its either on or off. Regardless of what someone feels, you aim better with a mouse but move better with analog sticks. And thats becuase for as many buttons as a keyboard has they are still either pressed or not. No 50% or 10% or 70% pressed, where that isnt true for an analog stick as its 100% sensitive to partial and full range movement. Do those ledge walks enough and it will be smooth with an analog stick. Where as i can aim better with mouse i still find it smoother to do with controller on most games. And this is from someone who grew up on CS. But practicing does help on aiming on controller where keyboard and mouse once you get your button and macro placements down its pretty pick up and go. Im not a fan of the dualshocks becuase i hate non staggered sticks. And i dont have tiny hands so it doesnt fit well.

Old platformer game re-released last year called Spelunky works well with controller. Basically a must almost.