Thread: Soo arcane?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Soo arcane?

Was thinking of leveling my mage alt, but kinda feel like playing arcane, sadly i haven't seen a single arcane mage on my mythic runs on my main, so i have no idea if they're completely shit or just outshined by fire mages.

Some thoughts or info would be appreciated, thanks!

Deleted
    Thought: Do it if you want to.

Info: FOTM.

Deleted
    Everyone's riding fire mage hype at the moment, arcane is in a better place than most casters.

Deleted
    My main is mage and I love to play arcane.

I leveld as fire and switched to arcane some days after reaching 110.

My thoughts and experiences so far: Arcane is slower for leveling and world quest than fire, except you got a tank with you. The guarateed crits fire provides are very valuable when questing. They recharge fast between mobs (Don't forget fire's new spell from the artifact, phoenix flame is also a guaranteed crit). As arcane you will spend a lot of time drinking to refill your mana. And the killspeed itselfs feels so slow until you get a high ilvl again that you want to play fire. - Take the guarantee crit with fireball talent when mob is over 85% life so you will start casting fireball, cast 2nd fireball while using fireblast (thus geting instant pyro) and fireing pyro. Lots of dmg in 2x casttime and 1 gcd.

At 840 ilvl I can 3-4 shot mobs with arcane blast, which drains 30-40% mana.... a lot of drinking between mobs is necessary.
    But..... If you can dmage more than 1 mob (!!!) Arcane Explosion does more dmg than arcane blast. Arcane mage in myth dungeons looks like the following: AE, AE, AE, AE, ABarr, AE, AE, AE, AE, Abarr for all trash mobs and Arcane Orb, when it is off CD. The single target dmg lacks a lot compared to fire. but in AoE arcane is quite powerful and I haven't reached the artifact trait which causes extra dmg to mobs if oyu hit more than 2 with ABarr.
    So you can use arcane in myth dungeon. But yesterday evening I've been kicked because of low dmg, which is true in single target situation. Remember, AE is better for even 2 targets. Arcane Blast, MIssiles and Mastery need a buff. And I would like to seee a further decrease in ABs mana costs, which could be implemented in mastery. Arcane Power'S duartion seems a bit shot at first, but with the artifact leveld it gets better, but AP would still need to last 2-3 secs longer.

So this were my thoughts for now.... Hope it helped you,

LI2Atronach

p.s. If you stand in the mages order hall.... you see nearly every player with the flame orbs above their head.... it is so damn dashy, I'm sure there was never someone from Blizz in there.... And 95% of mages use "Rune of Power".... [irony] looks balanced..... [/irony]

You need tons of mastery for arcane.
    It scales extremely well, but its drawback that its not that good in low ilvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NPI View Post
    You need tons of mastery for arcane.
    It scales extremely well, but its drawback that its not that good in low ilvl.
    Well.. no, not really.
    Mastery is bar none the absolute worst stat for Arcane.

7+ Year Old Account
    The spec just doesn't feel right. Mana regen in combat is horrible. Needs more tweaks imo.

The damage is decent though. Its upfront loaded burst on demand, but thats it.

I've been Arcane the whole time in Legion. Doing mythics I am very strong on trash, mediocre on single-target. It's not going to top the meters for bosses unless you get lucky with AM-Rule of 3s procs, but it's solid and one of the best (if not the best) caster for AoE.

Leveling was just fine, but you need to make use of your control. I found gathering 3 mobs to be the best (while running Resonance).
    Last edited by Antonin; 2016-09-11 at 05:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
    I've been Arcane the whole time in Legion. Doing mythics I am very strong on trash, mediocre on single-target. It's not going to top the meters for bosses unless you get lucky with AM-Rule of 3s procs, but it's solid and one of the best (if not the best) caster for AoE.
    Now see, that's just crazy to me. Up until Legion, I've always considered Arcane the ace at single target and shitty at AoE. Now it's reversed? What have they done to my poor class? :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Yep, it's completely different in Legion. They added a ton of strength into Arcane Barrage, and with the new Resonance talent I've crit for 1.2M on my primary target, + all the damage on other mobs. And Mark of Aluneth is AoE as well and massive damage. It's definitely the first time in a long time that Arcane could use a buff for single target.

I am playing Arcane and its solid.

It's not a world beater, but its still fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    The spec just doesn't feel right. Mana regen in combat is horrible. Needs more tweaks imo.

The damage is decent though. Its upfront loaded burst on demand, but thats it.
    you could say the mana regen in combat is bad because it is literally zero. you dont regen mana. on purpose.

No clue what you guys been doing but on bosses my arcane mage shines... all its damage boosts and power makes him do very high dmg, it gets even better if the boss summons adds so they will take extra damage from the rune of aluneth and nether tempest.
    It feels relatively mediocre overall but that might be due to the other guildies in the grp had better gear and aoe burst capabilities.

This is based on mythic runs earlier this week... we did every mythic dungeon.

For the burn phase arcane has a medium ramp up time, 4 stacks of charge and then pop all cds and watch the massive damage come.
    Slightly rng based aswell due to missile-proc.

@Otaka: you use the quickening/nt combination? Personally i didn't tried it yet, i feel its not the intended way, like the scorch-weaving at the start of MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by NPI View Post
    @Otaka: you use the quickening/nt combination? Personally i didn't tried it yet, i feel its not the intended way, like the scorch-weaving at the start of MoP.
    It looks like the optimal build anyway... the other talents in the tiers arent very good. Im talking about raid-side... sure the other talents could be far better in 5 mans but in raiding quickening gives passive haste all the time unlike the other talents in its group, they have cooldowns.

with NT it seems to be the only reliable option, UM is rng based so its not as reliable and erosion i dont think gives enough damage boost in comparison... in 5 mans it would be suboptimal to use erosion since you change targets pretty often.

Also NT damage increases directly with haste, so they work well together.

Deleted
    I switched from Frost to Arcane and don't regret it at all. I didn't follow any guide for rotation, stat priority and yet I can top the damage meter. If I'm not topping it, I'm never too far behind my mates unless I screwed my rotation and let Quickening stacks fall, which is very hard to recover from. I find Arcane very strong on large trash packs and competitive on ST.

Can you guys give me some insight on my rotation on ST boss (Mythic length encounters)? Basically, I'm not opening with Arcane Power and delay it for when I have high stacks of Quickening. Since the fights usually don't last long enough to have Arcane Power twice, I see no drawbacks doing so, but I'm not so sure.
    Starting with 0 Charges
    - 4 Arcane Blasts to build 4 charges
    - Rune of Power, Nether Tempest, Aluneth's mark
    - Spam Arcane Blasts to dump mana
    - Only use Arcane Missile once when reaching 2 stacks, I try to keep one stack for a latter use
    - Refresh Nether Tempest (4 charges) as needed for the whole fight
    - When reaching 0 mana, cast Evocation and Arcane Missile right away to keep the Quickening stacks
    - Runes of Power, Arcane Power
    - Prioritize Arcane Blasts over Arcane Missile during Arcane Power to benefit from the mana cost reduction
    - Use Arcane Missile to not waste stacks

As you can see, my burst window is delayed but my DPS has always caught up with my mates doing so.

After this "opener" I usually stay at low mana (20/25%) waiting for Evocation and Arcane Power to be ready again (CD syncs since I use them together) and just do
    - Arcane Blast x 4
    - Nether Tempest
    - Arcane Missile
    - Arcane Barrage
    - Repeat

Is this rotation acceptable or totally wrong? I'm wondering cause I don't see many guides on Arcane (which is why I figured out my own rotation) and somehow my DPS is competitive.

Sorry for the wall post

This guys does well with just doing arcane explosion and missiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OmGMFX1Y

I found him when I looked up arcane mage legion mythic on Youtube. It's an interesting play style.

Been playing arcane mage since expansion release and overall I have to say its been a lot of fun, like most people seem to agree the aoe damage is quite impressive when combined with the artifact Mark of Aluneth, Arcane Rebound, and using the Resonance talent. The biggest problem it seems to face is the lengthy conserve phase after burning mana after about 45-60 seconds into a fight, after you have used Evocation and spent down some which depending on Arcane Missiles can be quick.

In a two minute single target boss fight I can pull about 250k or more, most mythic bosses are a bit less than this depending on fight. Keeping stacks of quickening up seems to be the key to doing well or burning out, if I can end the fight with zero mana and have pushed cooldowns and high numbers I did well. Right now I feel like they need an adjustment in some department to prevent them from playing the conserve game for 60 seconds every minute and a half, a buff to Erosion for single target, higher results from Mastery for mana regen, or a different artifact power instead of Touch of the Magi revolving around maintaining stacks of quickening or at least the ability to keep casting.

Seems like with the design of Arcane and especially with Quickening is a ramp up to incredible performance, and while the possibility of burning out is very appealing in design there should be a way to rise to the challenge and maintain the spec for more than the two minutes.

10/10 Would Arcane again. Just be nice to see some minor tweaks to a very fun and exciting spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Thought: Do it if you want to.

Info: FOTM.
    Source: Guy who isn't playing the game because of the lack of flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Quote Originally Posted by teverin View Post
    This guys does well with just doing arcane explosion and missiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OmGMFX1Y

I found him when I looked up arcane mage legion mythic on Youtube. It's an interesting play style.
    he might be topping the meters but actual numbers and dps wise its just not that great. everyone in that group should be doing 200k+ on bosses and ~500k+ on trash.