What's Warlock like for casual play? (General enjoyment)

Hey there.

I was thinking of leveling up a Warlock alt. I never really enjoyed warlock much but it has had a lot of changes to I was thinking of giving it a go. Everyone has told me not to though as all 3 specs are clunky and bad.

Now I'l not looking to do any high end raiding on it, just level, world quest, maybe pugs or alt runs. Are all 3 specs really that un-enjoyable to play right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Merixa View Post
    Hey there.

I was thinking of leveling up a Warlock alt. I never really enjoyed warlock much but it has had a lot of changes to I was thinking of giving it a go. Everyone has told me not to though as all 3 specs are clunky and bad.

Now I'l not looking to do any high end raiding on it, just level, world quest, maybe pugs or alt runs. Are all 3 specs really that un-enjoyable to play right now?
    No one can tell you what's enjoyable and what isn't.

Personally I love dotting things up as Affliction, but I bet for every "me" there are several "others" who despise the long ramp-up time.

And from what I can tell the vast majority of the complains are mainly directed at the viability of each spec, not necessarily the playstyle. I bet if the numbers would increase you would hear a lot less complains about the reworks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They're good. They've got a nice, tanky pet.

Warlock is very strong for questing, I would say the strongest out of all the casters. Play as Affliction and breeze through world quests as you dot up all the mobs you can see and AOE them down with seed of corruption. You can also solo outworld elites like a champ with all that self-healing.

For PUG dungeons, it's a bit harder to enjoy Warlock with all the melee cleave and burst damage going on, but it's doable. I suggest play as Destruction as it's the best spec for 5 mans. It remains to be seen what will happen with Mythic+ and whether warlocks will receive further balancing changes.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    It remains to be seen what will happen with Mythic+ and whether warlocks will receive further balancing changes.
    as a warlock i would wait for raids. those dungeons are a waste of time imho, a melee show.

edit: well ofc as a casual player... a hardcore raider have to go through this crap to be ready for progression raids.. hardcore players who are not melee have my sympathy.
    BETA CLUB

Deleted
    Once I got good gear it became really fast and easy.

Warlocks are tanky.

But Warlocks have no WOW-OMG moments.

I never really feel super strong as a warlock. Maybe in PvP

You all seem to be saying affliction for quests. How about Demonology?

I personally find Demo the worst of the 3 for questing.

Demo is fine for questing. Pool shards between pulls and use Darkglare and Implosion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll preface this by being honest and saying I've played Warlocks in 7.0 but not since Legion launched, not with artifacts etc.

I've found the revamps of all three specs to be less... fun. It's a really subjective thing but for me there's no oomph to any of the specs in Legion.
    • They're all supposedly "tanky" compared to mages but our self-healing was gimped.
    • There's a lot of ramp-up time and not much mobilty.
    • There's none of those amazing spell visuals you get from specs like Shadow Priests or Elemental Shamans
    • You won't find any satisfying AOE or punchy single-target spells that feel viscerally fun to let loose
    • A lot of old spells and abilities that were baseline got turned into talents. A lot of warlock talent tiers feel more like "What baseline thing am I going to lose?" Rather than "What cool ability will I unlock?"
    • While the new Demonology spec is an awesome idea thematically it's been executed fairly poorly in a mechanical sense.
    • Resource starvation never feels fun.
    • Ramp-up time. Oh god the ramp-up time...

Seriously, for now don't punish yourself. I'd advise any Mage spec, Shadow Priest or Elemental Shaman. All much more fun. Not qualified to comment on Balance Druids this time around so I won't.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

I can't say I agree that no satisfying AoE or punchy ST spells. Implosion is hella fun and lining up a perfect TKC is one of the best feelings in the world.

Yes some baseline abilities got turned into talents... I guess I don't care because it makes talent choices feel really impactful and I think that's a good thing.

Theres such a split! Warlock has always been my "meh" class I never touched. I did one as destro to 100 in WoD as evidence I didnt like the class after doing it to max, as opposded to a few levels.

The warlock changes looked interesting and as its the only class I miss I thought I'd give it another go. Its a shame demonology doesnt seem to have been executed right. It look like a cool idea.

As I did destro last time and felt fairly bored I thought maybe this time I'd level as affliction. The preference seems to be destro though from people I've spoken to.

I really enjoy Destro and how it plays. People complaining seem to be Aff or Demo.

I can't speak for those specs, but my Destro Warlock has felt the most powerful of all my classes when out solo questing. For dungeons, it hasn't been bad.