Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Datamined 5.0 Changes

Obnoxious as fuck to read, fair warning

https://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/news/5-0-class-changes

Bioware is currently deleting and banning people from discussing these changes, so that lends it a good deal of credibility.

Ability pruning has come to Swtor!
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

BW has always had a hard stance on datamined information. That part really isn't new nor is the getting banned for posting it.

And the datamined stuff is pretty accurate as of now I'd bet. Those guys have been doing that a while. It could easily change as more patches happen on the closed test servers.

The sad thing is we get more information and months ahead of BWs released info from players than we get from BW. Hell you knew of their last stream, it was promoted big about getting us game information but what did we actually get? A stream that told us what they want to talk about in the next stream that would have game information. BW is a bit of a CF when it comes to the community and communication.

The leveling experience is still top notch and new players have a fair amount to do but for people that have been playing. It's a pretty stale experience at max level and that's counting the new single player game and mediocre story.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-09-13 at 01:47 AM.

Briefly skimming through, not too sure what I think.

Looks like a lot of necessary changes, but a bunch of pointless ones too. Half the class changes look like they're expansion-esque broader strokes and the other half look like they'd be what you find either in a normal content patch or a balance patch rather than an expansion.

The removal of base classes loses some flavor (I like the concept, still miss the old progression system from EQ2 where you had to make the decision from base to advanced, and then advanced to final class.) and I'm not sure why they couldn't have just removed the abilities from characters as they chose their advanced class, oh well.

Ability pruning I'm mixed on, looks like there's some loss in flexibility/customization that I enjoyed (like changing stances on the fly) but they needed to cut things down a bit.

They definitely needed to hand out key abilities/buffs earlier on than they do now so that's welcome too.

No casted/channeled melee abilities? Curious to see how it plays out, but I enjoyed the opportunity cost they had associated with them so that's a bummer.

CC change is nice, makes things more streamlined.

Really though, BioWares communication is fucking awful, and I'm going to continue to blame it on Musco because it was terrible under him at launch and hasn't changed in the past 5 years under him. Fire his ass, get someone in there who can actually clearly communicate with players on a regular basis, and work to avoid situations like this. He's either totally whipped by the marking/communications folks and just accepts whatever timelines/plans they give him, or he doesn't give enough of a fuck to push back on them and fight to ensure that the community gets taken care of as well when it comes to relaying information and teasing news.

Some of these changes look ridiculous for my taste especially the "no ranged attacks as melee and vice versa" and removing the base classes. It really is a shame that this is the only Star Wars MMO going on at the moment.

honestly, some of my bars were getting kinda ridiculous and uncomfortable.

as someone that struggles with hitting buttons instead of clicking, this does make life kinda easier. i mix clicking and pressing buttons, if this reduces what i need to click, that kinda a good thing for me.

though i still say the same thing i say with this for wow. if you're going to prune combat abilities, please add a spellbook of non-combat abilities for rp reasons. rituals, lightning blasts, things like that. they do no damage and can be used on friendly targets.

I won't really mind the removal of base classes, though it really seems odd to do it at THIS point in the game. The other ability changes just seem like standard "hey, time to redo the game again so it looks like we're paying attention".
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really not that upset with pruning in TOR along with all the class updates in general. Keeping an eye on this one!
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Wow, 3-10% damage nerf on my sorcs abilities.

Depending on what your opinion of spoilers are. You can check this out later tonight:

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme...stream_coming/

10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR definitely needed some pruning and streamlining in many places, there were a lot of left over legacy aspects to the classes which really just made no sense, and the action bars were often way way too crowded, with lots of abilities and stances/auras which were nothing but traps for new players.

Hard to say how to feel about the actual specific changes until it's possible to see a final list and get in and play it though.
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

Too much for me to really wrap my head around honestly, I haven't played in a while since I devour the content so quickly and then am left with just the end game stuff to do (which is practically nothing). I've always enjoyed the game and the game play, despite the horribly optimized engine. I doubt this will affect my enjoyment either way. I look forward to the expansion, if only for the sake of it having new stuff for me to do, regardless of how long the new content lasts.

Honestly, I will be sad to see the knife attacks go on my sniper. I wonder what they plan to do with offhands? It would be weird wearing a knife and having no knife attacks. Or, if they get rid of offhands, what will my merc do? Will there be pistol-pair weapons in the future?

Things have been updated a bit with more information should you be interested.

WARNING: Missions definitely has spoilers. Some other listings might as well so read at your own risk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme...able_spoilers/

Just looking at the two classes I played. There is not a lot of pruning, saw some new abilities. Overall I agree with people in this thread, some things needed to change.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow, now if they will just fix the stutter thing that happens every time i dismount and the companion appears

All I want to know is if Kira is in it...

Deleted
    Commandos definitely needed pruning, but JK/Sage were pretty ok to me. But this JK change... "saber form is now passive and automatically set depending on the discipline" is just dumb. I've lost count of the times when I have saved the day as a Guardian dps by quickly switching stance when the tank died. Or when I've tanked in dps spec wearing tank gear because the pug's dps was too shit to down mobs in time. Now it's apparently not possible.

And I wish they wold finally fix the way capes and robes work when sitting on a chair or a mount. The last "fix" just made them more ridiculous than before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I won't really mind the removal of base classes, though it really seems odd to do it at THIS point in the game. The other ability changes just seem like standard "hey, time to redo the game again so it looks like we're paying attention".
    Well they're following WoW once again...sorta...WoW basically makes you play a spec till level 10...they followed WoW and in this case improved upon what WoW did.

I'm not sure what real *pruning* they have done...just getting rid of some abilities that were likely not on your hotbars to begin with, or in some cases just replacing one button with another one. Not much removed really...

But overall it looks okay...

Some of it looks promising. Difficult to say though without actually playing with the changes. Commando/Merc though looking pretty good and Gunslinger/Sniper getting some decent defensive cooldowns.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually pretty impressed with a lot of these changes. The "pruning" is minimal and seems to just combine a few abilities that would usually get used together anyway and things like stances being baseline is fine since outside of very niche situations you would be in your primary stance anyway and many of the niche parts have just been made baseline for main stance i.e: Guard usable in Shein Form etc.