10+ Year Old Account

Is it worth to have gear crafting profession nowadays?

I recently started thinking that maybe keeping my LW was a mistake for this expansion. Cause the gear what you can craft and upgrade just seems so meaningless in the long run, when one doesn't plan in turning the crafted items into gold.
    Or does anyone know will the recipes get better later on in the expansion so that the crafted gear can rival lets say normal/heroic raid gear?

I don't see LW offering anything much other the mount, which only LW (which you can still craft for your alt LW to use ) can ride and the harness or w/e what keeps you from getting slowed while mounted.

Alchemy, enchanting, jc all seem more rewarding, specially for someone like me who is too cheap to buy from AH 1 stack of 1 at a time.

For min/maxing they work pretty well. If an Arms Warrior wants a perfectly itemized (Mastery) item, he can get it through crafting now - he just needs to spend lots of money on Obliterum and crafting many items to get the desired one. Viola, you've got a perfect item, and can equip as many as you want.

For me, the White Moose from LW is enough.

Deleted
    Crafted gear already rivals normal as it can be upgraded all the way to 850. If you mean for them to rival nm/hc straight out of the box(no obliterum use) then no, that makes no sense. All that would do is make the raid content obsolete from the start as it would be easy for more or less anyone to get geared up in what would be full raid gear bar the tier sets. What will most likely happen with the recipes is that they will stay the same but obliterum, once we get to the next raid tier(7.2), may end up upgrading items below 850 by 10ilvls instead of 5.

As for crafting professions that make gear i do agree with you that they fall short when compared to other professions. Gear you can buy and it'll be a one off thing but consumables i.e. enchants, flasks, pots you'll always need for raids. If it was profitable to make obliterum from crafted leather gear then that might be something as you'd be able to use the profit to buy other things you need(roundabout way but yeah, it's something) but i'm not sure that's the case. Right now you can obliterate alchemy health potions for 1/2 ash each and with higher ranks you can proc up to 20 per set of mats which i feel(no numbers cause lazy) makes the other ways to get obliterum somewhat lackluster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    Right now you can obliterate alchemy health potions for 1/2 ash each and with higher ranks you can proc up to 20 per set of mats which i feel(no numbers cause lazy) makes the other ways to get obliterum somewhat lackluster.
    Really? I really need to read up on my forge then...

I am just thinking that during the first few months I will go through all of my gold reserve by spending it on potions, flasks and repairs that's why alchemy calls for me.
    All I need to do is just to hunt down some herbs (I haven't checked how good the plant population is in Broken Isles yet, so finding the herbs might not be fast as finding something else to gather) and have my flasks and what nots. Specially that this time around I just don't have the time to get my alchemy alt leveled.

On the other side what both of you have pointed out there is the thing about getting gear with BiS stats. With my RNG lately having something with decent stats will be a bonus. Besides the proper stated item could costs fortunes in the AH as well as if given matts could take very many tries to achieve my someone who could craft it for me.

How reasonable would it be to craft items with LW for the slots you really cannot find from some place else and then swap to alchemy and use the forge to demolish potions in order to upgrade the LW items? Or will starting off with alchemy (and possible herbalism) from 1 be too much of a setback at this point?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    How reasonable would it be to craft items with LW for the slots you really cannot find from some place else and then swap to alchemy and use the forge to demolish potions in order to upgrade the LW items? Or will starting off with alchemy (and possible herbalism) from 1 be too much of a setback at this point?
    Swapping professions shouldn't be that much of an issue. You'd have to do the quests and then level up things like herbalism so you get more herbs per time spent & flask/pot recipes. I'm not sure if it's worth bothering with LW unless you're trying to get lucky with something like a double haste piece of gear. If you've got the mats then by all means get the pieces you're missing, especially if you want to update them. Also, once you'll have leveled your recipes i.e. epic leather gear rank 3 you'll be able to get something that gives you your legion recipes from the profession guy for 1k i think so you don't lose that. I do think that you lose the actual skill i.e. you'll start again from 1 LW and not 800.

There's also raids & mythic+ which are going to be coming out on the 20th/21st so you'll be more likely to get gear pieces for the slots you're missing. All in all if you decide to swap professions try and get gear for what you're missing first. Maybe you get lucky with a good piece of gear, maybe not but you won't have lost much from trying it. If you then go and get alchemy and herbalism you'll be more or less set for pots/flasks with a bit of farming. Right now on Draenor-EU i haven't had issues when farming herbs so you shouldn't really have problems grabing them either. If the "make health pots get obliterum" stays as profitable as it was like 3 days ago then you should have no issues getting gear off the AH either much less enchants. Some guy made 200k+ in a couple of hours by just buying Yseraline Seeds & herbs and making pots just to obliterate. I was salty. Still am.

Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    Swapping professions shouldn't be that much of an issue. You'd have to do the quests and then level up things like herbalism so you get more herbs per time spent & flask/pot recipes. I'm not sure if it's worth bothering with LW unless you're trying to get lucky with something like a double haste piece of gear. If you've got the mats then by all means get the pieces you're missing, especially if you want to update them. Also, once you'll have leveled your recipes i.e. epic leather gear rank 3 you'll be able to get something that gives you your legion recipes from the profession guy for 1k i think so you don't lose that. I do think that you lose the actual skill i.e. you'll start again from 1 LW and not 800.

There's also raids & mythic+ which are going to be coming out on the 20th/21st so you'll be more likely to get gear pieces for the slots you're missing. All in all if you decide to swap professions try and get gear for what you're missing first. Maybe you get lucky with a good piece of gear, maybe not but you won't have lost much from trying it. If you then go and get alchemy and herbalism you'll be more or less set for pots/flasks with a bit of farming. Right now on Draenor-EU i haven't had issues when farming herbs so you shouldn't really have problems grabing them either. If the "make health pots get obliterum" stays as profitable as it was like 3 days ago then you should have no issues getting gear off the AH either much less enchants. Some guy made 200k+ in a couple of hours by just buying Yseraline Seeds & herbs and making pots just to obliterate. I was salty. Still am.
    skinners/lw made a killing before the skinning nerf. I certainly did.

Deleted
    Well... i can imagine crafted items having quite the significant effect on the world 1st race...
    Preety much everyone who wants to start off at 850 will have to get 1 or 2 of the crafted items to outweight the negative effect RNG can have on them.

As for the long-run;
    I remember reading somewhere that they intend to raise the obliterum-cap as the time goes by...

I still make quite the significant amount by crafting doomsteel gear anyway; so yes, it is worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    I still make quite the significant amount by crafting doomsteel gear anyway; so yes, it is worth it.
    That's the thing. I don't care about the AH nor craft gear for selling or craft anything for selling. But your point is valid for people who do make gold off from AH.

I guess I will see what drops from which boss and then craft the mount (so I don't have to do the stupid quest again) and the missing pieces and then try to go with alchemy/herbalism. Just cause that profession feels more useful and cheaper in the long run to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    That's the thing. I don't care about the AH nor craft gear for selling or craft anything for selling. But your point is valid for people who do make gold off from AH.

I guess I will see what drops from which boss and then craft the mount (so I don't have to do the stupid quest again) and the missing pieces and then try to go with alchemy/herbalism. Just cause that profession feels more useful and cheaper in the long run to me.
    Isn't there some item you can buy off a vendor in dalaran, which basically reteaches you all of the crafts you used to have anyway?
    (I don't really know how it works or what it actually reteaches)

Like stated previously; they give you some edge in the beginning and if rumors are true we will be able to upgrade them further with time. Also: Chances are you won't have luck for a few weeks; so crafted items might stay your best option for a while.

In the long run you might as well just level an alt with that profession. That's what I did in WoD (and then i switched servers; so i have to do it on a new char,... yay! /s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    skinners/lw made a killing before the skinning nerf. I certainly did.
    Still rather profitable to be honest (nowhere near as before obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    Still rather profitable to be honest (nowhere near as before obviously).
    oh I know. I stockpiled leather early on. obliterium prices sadly have tanked and I don't even bother. I just proc epics from crafting lvl 3 bracers and send them to my mage to DE for chaos crystals and sell them for 1k a pop. I figure for 600 leather I'm averaging 9-10 epic procs and then the shards/selling for the rest.. easy profit. Even if i buy stacks @2k each I still make a tidy profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Isn't there some item you can buy off a vendor in dalaran, which basically reteaches you all of the crafts you used to have anyway?
    (I don't really know how it works or what it actually reteaches)

Like stated previously; they give you some edge in the beginning and if rumors are true we will be able to upgrade them further with time. Also: Chances are you won't have luck for a few weeks; so crafted items might stay your best option for a while.

In the long run you might as well just level an alt with that profession. That's what I did in WoD (and then i switched servers; so i have to do it on a new char,... yay! /s)
    Yes, I will have to see about the tomb of whatnot. I think I even know what vendor to pester (at least they don't walk away mis shopping like the class hall one who sells the items...).

My RNG is horrible, considering what Wquest offer and what kind of drops I've gotten from dungeons. So yeh, I will stick to creating crafted items for some slots, once that is done will probably go alch/herby and upgrade items once I get enough of Obliterium for it.

Speaking of alts... Fitting leveling an alt into my present schedule will be more unlikely then we clearing EN Normal the first week. Hats off for those who can bring alts up, do everything else and have their irl on order as well