Question [Prot] Stat Priority Question

The prot thread is massive and everything is contradicted...sorting out what is current is next to impossible...but still, sorry for starting a thread on this.

I've been trying to figure out how to gear for Prot, right now I'm seeing most places say Vers above all else, but it strikes me as odd that Vers/Haste wouldn't be prefered to single threading vers...I know it's early in the xpac, but can any real conclusions along this line be drawn yet..or is everyone more or less guessing?

Deleted
    Liminara (celinamuna) has invested quite some time into figuring out the stat priority. They are given on Icy Veins for instance. Defensively it's

vers >= haste > mastery > crit

Strength is even worse than crit, because it also provides parry but at a much lower rate than crit and both are heavily hit by diminishing returns. If you play with holy shield, mastery becomes almost as strong as haste and versatility while crit still lags behind. I have yet to test other talent rows than the lvl 15 one, but I figured that would be a good place to start due to HS and its effect on mastery. In simulations, haste is a bit all over the place because their seem to be breakpoints all along the way when trying to do scaling plots, probably due to the rigorous formulation of the priority list. Assuming a skilled player who knows when to use his AM and self healing, haste should be one of the best if not the best secondary stat, at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by mmoc4148e87d80; 2016-09-14 at 01:50 PM.

That's great info, thanks a lot! So when gearing would you take a Vers only item (Adapitable Crafted) over a Vers/Haste?

If it's dual, the one with higher Vers seems to make sense.

Given: Not using Holy Shied ATM

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for creating this, I've been trying to find this out as well. Seems there are two different realms of thinking on the subject. I've been leaning on vers = haste, then mastery for myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybio View Post
    That's great info, thanks a lot! So when gearing would you take a Vers only item (Adapitable Crafted) over a Vers/Haste?

If it's dual, the one with higher Vers seems to make sense.

Given: Not using Holy Shied ATM
    Good question. Is it still the case that single stats provide less points than the sum of a mixed stat item? In that case I would advise against it, considering how close haste and versatility are.

Quote Originally Posted by Baeldin View Post
    Liminara (celinamuna) has invested quite some time into figuring out the stat priority. They are given on Icy Veins for instance. Defensively it's

vers >= haste > mastery > crit

Strength is even worse than crit, because it also provides parry but at a much lower rate than crit and both are heavily hit by diminishing returns. If you play with holy shield, mastery becomes almost as strong as haste and versatility while crit still lags behind. I have yet to test other talent rows than the lvl 15 one, but I figured that would be a good place to start due to HS and its effect on mastery. In simulations, haste is a bit all over the place because their seem to be breakpoints all along the way when trying to do scaling plots, probably due to the rigorous formulation of the priority list. Assuming a skilled player who knows when to use his AM and self healing, haste should be one of the best if not the best secondary stat, at least in my opinion.
    Versatility rates much lower, however, for DPS - and dps will be important for M+
    I'm stacking haste because it's good for both.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Vers seems to be a good stat for 850 and first week of raiding. Take a gander at the gear in Emerald Nightmare. About only a few pieces of Vers gear. (3 i think) We would have to rely on Mythic+ gear for Vers. I am going Haste.
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet