Question about blood DKs

Hey guys,

Long time player of WoW. Currently playing a DH in Legion, loving the expansion. Problem is I like tanking, however I don't want to tank on the DH, as I absolutely love the Havoc spec, and my dps numbers are absolute through the roof batshit. Anyway, I've been looking at prospective alts to tank on, and I've been looking a lot on blood DKs. I saw Preachs video saying they were a lot of fun to play, and others have said their damage is incredible, especially AoE.

Now, I've been reading these forums, and some people are throwing around terms like "Bloods DKs are now worse than useless" "They cannot mitigate damage at all and will be utterly useless raids" etc.

Is this true? Am I screwing myself rolling a Blood DK? Am I better off rolling another class, and in that case, which?

I know this is subjective and all, but if you any input on the current situation on blood DKs I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Molu View Post
    Hey guys,

Long time player of WoW. Currently playing a DH in Legion, loving the expansion. Problem is I like tanking, however I don't want to tank on the DH, as I absolutely love the Havoc spec, and my dps numbers are absolute through the roof batshit. Anyway, I've been looking at prospective alts to tank on, and I've been looking a lot on blood DKs. I saw Preachs video saying they were a lot of fun to play, and others have said their damage is incredible, especially AoE.

Now, I've been reading these forums, and some people are throwing around terms like "Bloods DKs are now worse than useless" "They cannot mitigate damage at all and will be utterly useless raids" etc.

Is this true? Am I screwing myself rolling a Blood DK? Am I better off rolling another class, and in that case, which?

I know this is subjective and all, but if you any input on the current situation on blood DKs I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks!
    I don't understand why you can't also tank on your DH because you like havok so much.

Blood DKs should be better than DHs in raids. Opposite for 5 mans.

If you're a 1%er, and your guilds progression hinges on you simultaneously mitigating the maximum amount and dealing as much damage as possible take a look at either Paladins or Warriors, if that's you i'd suggest Warrior because of the mobility the class offers.

US100 players however should have no problem main tanking Mythic encounters, if it becomes obvious that they can't, stats will back up their claims and i'm confident Blizzard will address it before the tier is over.

As others have mentioned in different threads here, mobility is an issue, so if you don't have your head on a swivel or are easily distracted that can become a liability.

With all that said, i'm loving my Death Knight right now, everything from the fantastic Order Hall quest line / lore to the simple yet accommodating rotation (you have the option to either max out your AoE DPS with Heart Strike, or focus on mitigation with Bone Shield). This is the best Blood as ever been.

The only thing I feel like I am lacking right now is a %damage reduction cool down of some sort. The shield from blood shield is pitiful so I only use it to heal right now. There are lots of times when I know I am about to take a ton of damage and all I can do is bank two death strikes and hope the healer is not tied up with dps that I can manage myself for a second. I don't even want to think about how it is going to be when I am getting hit for half my life in a raid.

I just wish I had Rune Tap back on 40% Dr with two charges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having a BLAST on my Blood DK.

Balancing is a constant give and take. If we're a little on the soft side I'm confident in due time that will be fixed.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

First off I've been playing a Blood DK since Cata and still love it. That said, the only thing I seriously worry about is we don't have an "oh sh*t" cooldown. I hate tanking Mythics and seeing DBM go off saying "Use Defensive", and I'm like....what defensive? Vamp is great and I like the style now but it isn't a damage reduction cooldown like every other class has. Yes we are a self-healing class, but a gimped one now. How does Blizz think taking almost full unmitigated spike damage with no CD is ok when other tanking classes have one or multiple?
    Last edited by Caska157; 2016-09-19 at 09:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you're absolutely the top tier raider in the world you can play what you want.

Blood DK can definitely mitigate damage, absorb, and deal good damage on their own but they are outpaced by both warriors and paladins. We don't have an oh-shit button like we used to, relying on haste to generate RP (if talented) to reduce VB cooldown on DS. But for most guilds we're fine.