Explosive Trap vs Steel Trap

Can someone please explain to me why Explosive Trap gets the nod over Steel Trap? ST's damage seems way superior even despite the longer cd. Does anyone have in game testing? I know both IV and Nox have ET over ST, but i dont understand the reasoning. Thanks in advance folks.

Improved Traps is good because it lowers the cd of everything by 50% (freezing by 15%). Adds utility, and honestly, ET ends up being one of your hardest hitting skills. Providing AoE damage as well as burst damage (I'm hitting about 315k+ crits on explosive trap procs at 844 ilvl). Steel trap also replaces freezing trap, the latter which is a great skill especially in dungeons where you can cc a priority mob.

Quote Originally Posted by JRODSLAM View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why Explosive Trap gets the nod over Steel Trap? ST's damage seems way superior even despite the longer cd. Does anyone have in game testing? I know both IV and Nox have ET over ST, but i dont understand the reasoning. Thanks in advance folks.
    Ignoring artifact traits here: When you spec into Steel Trap you get an extra 1500% AP as damage every minute on top of two Explosive Traps for 700% each, totalling 2900% AP damage every minute. Speccing into Improved Traps gives you four explosive traps for 700% each, totalling 2800%. So in a bubble Steel Trap is better.

However, the other talent which is recommended is Expert Trapper. This adds 75% damage buff to ET and another 500% AP to ST (33% damage buff). This makes ET hit for 1225% AP and ST hit for 2000% AP. Now, when you add it up it looks like this. 1225x4 = 4900% AP for Improved Traps and 1225x2+2000 = 4450% AP dealt by Steel Trap. 450% more in favor of Improved Traps. If you take into account artifact traits this gap widens to 535% with potential to be increased further with relics.

You also have to give up our only hard CC since ST replaces Freezing trap, and the damage is dealt over a longer duration so it is bad for killing priority targets quickly.

TL : DR - It does less damage when you spec into Expert Trapper (you should) and you lose Freezing Trap.
    Last edited by WeaszelB; 2016-09-16 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks for the breakdown. Pretty much what i was looking for.

I do understand Freezing Trap is very muched used for cc, but i guess i wasnt counting that cc much for mythics or raids. I was looking more into what would give me the most damage overall. The tank gets agro, so i figured ST helped dps performance more than ET.