Prot Paladin viability

Sorry if this has been asked a bit but I just want as honest and clear answer as I can find. I've been trying to find info on different tanks and one place i'm being told everything is viable but then on forums and in game people are saying the total opposite. I was led to believe paladins and tanks were the most durable/safe tanks but after reading these forums and others i'm hearing they are being nerfed soon and are very difficult to heal?

So as far as the top tier content (not doing world firsts, but I'm competitive I want to be able to tank at any level without being a severe disadvantage) where are Paladins in comparison to other tanks? Can I compete without having to jump through 30 hurdles to be at the same level as say a warrior?

Any info is overly appreciated!

Thanks!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking21 View Post
    So as far as the top tier content (not doing world firsts, but I'm competitive I want to be able to tank at any level without being a severe disadvantage) where are Paladins in comparison to other tanks? Can I compete without having to jump through 30 hurdles to be at the same level as say a warrior
    If you're asking these questions then you're not competitive. The only tank that isn't viable is Brewmaster. Stop crying because you cant handle all the cooldowns and utility requirements on your prettyboi paladin and roll a DK if you dont want to have to manage cooldowns.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    If you're asking these questions then you're not competitive. The only tank that isn't viable is Brewmaster. Stop crying because you cant handle all the cooldowns and utility requirements on your prettyboi paladin and roll a DK if you dont want to have to manage cooldowns.
    ^ This guy.

If you TRUELY were a decent player and TRUELY doing competitive raiding then you wouldn't listen to all the scrubs out there. Make up your own mind about your toon. If you need help listen to the people who are respected in the class. Don't like what they're saying? Do your own math. If you were one of my tanks and I found out the what you were saying, I would remove you from guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Prot paladins are just. fine.

Deleted
    Indeed, and as our "self heal"is going to be a little bit nerved down from 37 to 30 % that says already that we are doing fine.

Just read the tooltips of your abilities and you find out we have a lot of defenses / heals and can do damage and also be fast out of shit if needed.

From a healer's perspective, they are great IMO.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    There's no need for that, this isn't Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria where there's a bloody laser physicist crunching the numbers. The competitive raid-scene is a shadow of what it was even at WoD launch. I've yet to see any sourced or verified information on any tank, granted I haven't been trying as hard as I might if I was raiding.

Raid sources is as fragmented as it ever could be. Shit like Icy-veins is no more trustworthy but the theorycrafting scene has rotted from the top down, leaving it and others as probably the most reputable source. It's no surprise that cunts are picking talents and builds based on word of mouth on forums.

You can't blame him for second guessing word of mouth when other, no less vocal, word of mouth contests it. How simply ignoring it and 'having a crack' is a solution is beyond me.

Despite the degradation of the whole scene, people still trust and turn to this board. I genuinely believe you owe the OP better than to tell him to fuck off because he used the word competitive (a meaningless word used to describe both top 15 and top 100 guilds alike).

Edit: To answer the OP's questions, I have both a paladin and warrior, 845 and 835 respectively, the warrior feels far tankier and borderline broken in mythics in comparison, running mythics at 800 ilevel looked like my paladin in 830. At the same time the warrior has next to no utility and far lower damage output. Mythic+1 is a poor metric to judge them on at this point, but right now I feel the difference in tanking is made up for by the utility, I prefer the paladin.

Note that this is also pure anecdotal evidence from some guy's word of mouth.
    Thank you Choice...for your respectful reply. I didn't mean to step on toes. I do not have a prot paladin. I was considering one as an alt and wanted more confirmed information. WOW at arrogance here. If you think i'm NOT competitive because I'm trying to do research before making the commitment/investment, please move on with your day.

I am NOT going for world firsts. I AM NOT going to be THE BEST EVER! I just want to play at a HIGH level. I want to do ALL content without being burned. I've played the game since vanilla and many of times you reach high level and realize you fail in comparison to what the meta might be. Information is so mixed these days and one of the leading topics on this forum was the upcoming nerf was terrible. Just trying to get some experiences from people currently playing paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    ^ This guy.

If you TRUELY were a decent player and TRUELY doing competitive raiding then you wouldn't listen to all the scrubs out there. Make up your own mind about your toon. If you need help listen to the people who are respected in the class. Don't like what they're saying? Do your own math. If you were one of my tanks and I found out the what you were saying, I would remove you from guild.
    I just signed in to LOL at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaktard View Post
    Prot paladins are just. fine.
    Actually, Prot Paladin is amazing. Arguably the best active mitigation for higher level content. Add in the ridicilous utility it can bring, I think it's safe to say we're in a great spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    There's no need for that, this isn't Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria where there's a bloody laser physicist crunching the numbers. The competitive raid-scene is a shadow of what it was even at WoD launch. I've yet to see any sourced or verified information on any tank, granted I haven't been trying as hard as I might if I was raiding.

Raid sources is as fragmented as it ever could be. Shit like Icy-veins is no more trustworthy but the theorycrafting scene has rotted from the top down, leaving it and others as probably the most reputable source. It's no surprise that cunts are picking talents and builds based on word of mouth on forums.

You can't blame him for second guessing word of mouth when other, no less vocal, word of mouth contests it. How simply ignoring it and 'having a crack' is a solution is beyond me.

Despite the degradation of the whole scene, people still trust and turn to this board. I genuinely believe you owe the OP better than to tell him to fuck off because he used the word competitive (a meaningless word used to describe both top 15 and top 100 guilds alike).

Edit: To answer the OP's questions, I have both a paladin and warrior, 845 and 835 respectively, the warrior feels far tankier and borderline broken in mythics in comparison, running mythics at 800 ilevel looked like my paladin in 830. At the same time the warrior has next to no utility and far lower damage output. Mythic+1 is a poor metric to judge them on at this point, but right now I feel the difference in tanking is made up for by the utility, I prefer the paladin.

Note that this is also pure anecdotal evidence from some guy's word of mouth.
    I've actually found the forums to be useful for challenging my assumptions on builds. I've engaged in some good debates that brought out a lot of pros-and-cons of different talents. But yeah, I agree you don't just get one person's opinion and run with it. Rather, you should find out why different people have different opinions and use those to inform which talents to spec for what.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"